Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair to charge for using the toilet!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair to charge for using the toilet!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Talking Ryanair to charge for using the toilet!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090227/...ryanair_toilet

LONDON (Reuters) – Irish carrier Ryanair, Europe's largest budget airline, might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, chief executive Michael O'Leary said on Friday.

"One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he told BBC television.

He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

O'Leary has a reputation as a cost cutter, expanding Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage.

Last week, Ryanair announced it was to shut all check-in desks at airports and have passengers check in online instead.

"We're all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel," he said.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
...This press release reminded of...

As soon as I saw the press release on another news site, it reminded me of a "parody" of the AirCanada website developed a few years back...
http://www.kvstool.com/ACBeta/

Last edited by YOWCDNFF; Feb 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 27, 2009, 6:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Spend a pound to spend a penny... good grief!

The gall! The BBC has this as well.

I hope it is one of their managers who is flying and gets caught without the coins to pay the "stool tax." In any case, I suspect this might impact drinks sales.

""One thing we have looked at in the past, and are looking at again, is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door, so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he (CEO Michael O'Leary) told the BBC.

He added: "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:12 pm

Smile

Well, I,m not a bit surprised! After seeing US Air shut down the beverage service, I think management will try anything. ( Yes, I know US Air has rescinded the no beverage/water service )

A pound is pretty steep! That's about $1.40 US Right?

Second question: What does he mean by " actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future " ??
Hopefully someone in the UK can translate.

Thank You, BW
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:12 pm

From Google.com

Meaning of 'To spend a penny'

To use a public lavatory.

Origin
This refers to the (former) use of coin operated locks on public toilets. It was used mostly in the UK and mostly by women (men's urinals were free of charge).

Such locks were first introduced, at a public toilet outside the Royal Exchange, London, in the 1850s. The term itself is later though. The first recorded citation of it is in H. Lewis's Strange Story, 1945:

"'Us girls,' she said, 'are going to spend a penny!'"

'Spend a penny' has now gone out of use, partly because charges have changed and partly because it was always a coy euphemism, which now seems rather dated. The writing was on the wall for this phrase, so to speak, from 1977, when the Daily Telegraph printed an article headed "2p to spend a penny".

Copyright © Gary Martin, 1996 - 2009
Old Feb 28, 2009, 4:37 am

Ryanair is already one of the worst airlines in the skies and if they implement this it's just another reason not to use them.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

maybe they will start handing out water for free??
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: M&M
Looks like they are going to charge for reclining seats, too, sometime later.

Originally Posted by jefi99
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090227/...ryanair_toilet

LONDON (Reuters) – Irish carrier Ryanair, Europe's largest budget airline, might start charging passengers for using the toilet while flying, chief executive Michael O'Leary said on Friday.

"One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he told BBC television.

He said this would not inconvenience passengers travelling without cash. "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

O'Leary has a reputation as a cost cutter, expanding Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage.

Last week, Ryanair announced it was to shut all check-in desks at airports and have passengers check in online instead.

"We're all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel," he said.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by flytofly
... Looks like they are going to charge for reclining seats, too, sometime later ...
And they will call it "Business Class".
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Well, I presume charging for toilet paper would be the logic follow-up
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Bwillis
A pound is pretty steep! That's about $1.40 US Right?
According to www.xe.com 1.00 GBP = 1.42750 USD
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:09 pm

I didn't think they had reclining seats any more.

As for the toilet story... I have heard (albeit only second-hand) that they now claim this was a hoax. Does anyone know?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:19 pm

Thank You Jane Pond for the clarification.

BW
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
The gall! The BBC has this as well.

I hope it is one of their managers who is flying and gets caught without the coins to pay the "stool tax." In any case, I suspect this might impact drinks sales.

""One thing we have looked at in the past, and are looking at again, is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door, so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future," he (CEO Michael O'Leary) told the BBC.

He added: "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."
Yeah and the next charge is going to be for changing your money with the flight attendant to spend your penny
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
1 pound charged for opening the bathroom-door, 1 pound for flushing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.