Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Why can US passport holders not do OLCI on Ryanair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A

Other major airlines allow this, why not FR?
Instead, they make you pay the £4 per flight, per passenger, which you have to then send a letter to them in Dublin to get it back. Why?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Because they can.

Seriously, non-shengen passport holders aren't regular flyers of Ryan Air. So they can charge you extra fees because you're going to be more trouble.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:00 am
Original Poster

But why is is any more trouble for them? They do refund the money, if you ask them.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:28 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Indeed - especially because anyone can OLCI on mainline airlines (like BA). I find it odd that there is an extra cost incurred by the airline.

More than anything, it sounds an attempt to gouge more money from the passenger.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:39 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
You can check-in online. Just check the box that you hold an EU passport. They never give it a problem at the airport. Everyone does it. Don't worry about it.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:07 am
Original Poster

So do you check in online, and print your bp?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by dg4255
You can check-in online. Just check the box that you hold an EU passport. They never give it a problem at the airport. Everyone does it. Don't worry about it.
Are you talking from personal experience or is this just a rumour you heard?

I have read reports (including some here on FT) of people trying this and being turned away at the gate and having to buy a new ticket for a different flight.

I agree it's a stupid rule but I would recommend you don't even THINK about breaking it. You stand to lose a lot more than the £4 check-in fee.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Who has time to write a letter for a four pound refund OHMG
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bizclassboy
Probably a lot of people in the Budget Travel forum...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bizclassboy
7 pax flying return = 7*4*2=56
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:24 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Are you talking from personal experience or is this just a rumour you heard?

I have read reports (including some here on FT) of people trying this and being turned away at the gate and having to buy a new ticket for a different flight.

I agree it's a stupid rule but I would recommend you don't even THINK about breaking it. You stand to lose a lot more than the £4 check-in fee.
I've actually done it. Several times. There is no reason why any citizen from ANY country should not be able to check-in online. While it is the carrier's responsibility to verify that the passenger is allowed to travel into a certain country, that is not the fault of the non-EU passport holders and therefore the non-EU passport holders should not be financially punished based simply on the country of citizenship. Under EU rules, the immediate family members (husband, wife, children) of EU citizens have the right to live and be with their EU-member citizens family members. That includes the right to travel within the EU. It seems more than a bit discriminatory that a French husband would have to book on a separate reservation and not pay the check-in fee, while his Canadian wife and Canadian-born children (not yet applied for French citizenship, for argument's sake) would have to be on a separate reservation and pay the check-in fee.
There is but one destination (Morocco) served by Ryanair that is outside of the EU, EEC, or almost-EU (Croatia who is in talks to join and has already made agreements with close EU countries such as Italy, Slovenia, and Austria to change their immigrations and customs regulations to be more aligned with the EU). It seems to me that this is an internal ploy to collect more fees. Simple as that. I am sure that in the court system, Ryanair again would lose.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:03 am

dg4255 - I totally agree that it's a stupid rule, and I suspect that if it were to be challenged by the spouse of an EU citizen they would almost definitely be forced to change it.

However, there HAVE been reports of people being turned away at the gate on presenting a combination of OLCI boarding pass and non-EU passport, so simply ignoring the rules (or telling lies about one's nationality) is a risky strategy - you may get away with it, but you may not, and if someone is denied boarding because they lied about their nationality they haven't got a leg to stand on.

I really do hope that someone will mount a legal challenge about this - but unless and until this rule is successfully challenged my advice to non-EU passport holders would be to stick to the rules.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 5:30 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I really do hope that someone will mount a legal challenge about this - but unless and until this rule is successfully challenged my advice to non-EU passport holders would be to stick to the rules.
Absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more.

But for the sake of £4, I doubt anyone's that bothered. And Ryanair knows this and is counting on it.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:33 am

Write your mep

dg4255 - I totally agree that it's a stupid rule, and I suspect that if it were to be challenged by the spouse of an EU citizen they would almost definitely be forced to change it.

However, there HAVE been reports of people being turned away at the gate on presenting a combination of OLCI boarding pass and non-EU passport, so simply ignoring the rules (or telling lies about one's nationality) is a risky strategy - you may get away with it, but you may not, and if someone is denied boarding because they lied about their nationality they haven't got a leg to stand on.

It must be Christmas with little to do - so I used the excellent website WriteToThem to contact my MEPs.

I would like to draw your attention to the discriminatory behaviour of Ryanair in respect of non-EU passport holders.

Such individuals are barred from checking-in on-line and therefore reaping the savings amounting to £4 per person per trip. There seems to be no logic to this rule other than earning fees from a small but significant minority such as my wife who is a US passport holder with permanent residence in UK.

Please take up this matter on my behalf with the appropriate Commissioner

Perhaps others would like to add their voices to mine?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Originally Posted by dg4255
Under EU rules, the immediate family members (husband, wife, children) of EU citizens have the right to live and be with their EU-member citizens family members. That includes the right to travel within the EU.
This statement surprised me, so I did a bit of research to see if it's true and could only find evidence to the contrary, e.g. http://uk-immigration.ukresident.com...n/uk-visas/29/

Forgetting the families angle, legal residence in the UK is not enough to get you into other EU countries without needing a visa (first hand experience of helping a UK-resident Zimbabwean friend get a visa for France) so it's expected that Ryanair should check non-EU passport holders have the required documentation for their destination.

The argument is then whether it's fair for them to charge only the affected passengers for this extra procedure, or spread the cost amongst everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.