Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair launches connecting flights, express booking in major service upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Flight connections will be launched at Rome Fiumcino later this month, before being gradually rolled out to other airports.

Originally Posted by Ryanair
Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 airline, today (6 Apr) unveiled its 2017/18 customer experience improvement plan which forms Year 4 of its “Always Getting Better” (AGB) programme, including service, digital, ancillary and inflight developments. The new initiatives to be rolled out over the coming year include:
    Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
    3 hour MCT though....
    Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
    "No question now what has happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which."
    Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
    Originally Posted by irishguy28
    Flight connections will be launched at Rome Fiumcino later this month, before being gradually rolled out to other airports.
    This will be great for the traveling public - can't wait for Easyjet to follow suit.
    Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue
    It'll be interesting to see how they do this. Surely it will only be at certain hub airports rather than everywhere? Lots of FR airports just aren't set up for connecting flights. My local (NCL) certainly isn't - anyone connecting through there would have to go landside before clearing security again.
    Old May 13, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Gold
    This will be interesting indeed. I did this once in STN and while I went landslide It was better than transferring in CAI 😩. I wonder whether the MCT will differ depending on hold luggage, airside transfer ability, etc?
    Old May 15, 2017, 3:59 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMetThePieMan
    It'll be interesting to see how they do this. Surely it will only be at certain hub airports rather than everywhere? Lots of FR airports just aren't set up for connecting flights. My local (NCL) certainly isn't - anyone connecting through there would have to go landside before clearing security again.
    No, of course it won't be at all airports.

Looking at NCL's slate of FR destinations, it seems that almost all are hubs/focus cities for Ryanair. As such, NCL is far more likely to provide customers wishing to connect elsewhere, rather than functioning as a connecting point itself.

(All connecting passengers at UK airports have to clear security again [perhaps UK/Channel Islands/Republic of Ireland passengers are exempt from security check]. So going landside at NCL would probably not take much longer, or represent much more of a hardship, than connecting at any other UK airport anyway)
    Old May 17, 2017, 6:43 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

Connecting flights through Rome Fiumicino are now available to buy on ryanair.com.

It seems that only 10 of the cities served from FCO are currently involved; the connection time seems to be a minimum of around 3 hours.
    Attached Images  
    Old May 17, 2017, 6:58 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

A quick look through the booking tool shows these are the current routes for which connecting tickets can be bought:

All journeys connect at Rome Fiumcino (FCO)

Alicante to/from:

Palermo

Brussels (BRU) to/from:

Catania
    Palermo

Barcelona (BCN) to/from

Bari
    Catania
    Comiso
    Palermo
    Malta

Italian Domestic

Bari-Rome-Catania and v.v.
    Bari-Rome-Palermo and v.v.
    Attached Images     

Last edited by irishguy28; May 17, 2017 at 7:11 am
    Old May 19, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
    This will be great for the traveling public - can't wait for Easyjet to follow suit.
    easyjet already allow you to add multiple flights to your basket so long as they have 2 hours between landing and departing.
    however they arent sold as connection.
    when i have purchased in this manner i have always, thanfully, been on time

but you are correct, they will surely do the same now.
    Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:57 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

Bergamo is to be the next Ryanair base to offer connecting flights. (Bergamo is, somewhat surprisingly to me, Ryanair's biggest mainland European base with 9.2 million Ryanair pax in 2016 and an average load factor of 90%, and 3rd overall in passenger numbers behind Stansted and Dublin).

Ryanair will offer connection options to passengers travelling between Alicante, Athens, Barcelona, Bari, Brindisi, Cagliari, Catania, Corfu, Ibiza, Lanzarote, Lamezia Terme, Madrid, Malaga, Malta, Naples, Palermo, Pescara, Trapani, Valencia and Zaragoza.
    Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
    Originally Posted by irishguy28
    Bergamo is to be the next Ryanair base to offer connecting flights. (Bergamo is, somewhat surprisingly to me, Ryanair's biggest mainland European base with 9.2 million Ryanair pax in 2016 and an average load factor of 90%, and 3rd overall in passenger numbers behind Stansted and Dublin).

Ryanair will offer connection options to passengers travelling between Alicante, Athens, Barcelona, Bari, Brindisi, Cagliari, Catania, Corfu, Ibiza, Lanzarote, Lamezia Terme, Madrid, Malaga, Malta, Naples, Palermo, Pescara, Trapani, Valencia and Zaragoza.
    Interesting that TLV isn't on that list - not sure if it's because those flights will only start later this year or because when they do TLV wont' be included.
    Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:21 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
    Interesting that TLV isn't on that list - not sure if it's because those flights will only start later this year or because when they do TLV wont' be included.
    There will be 70 year-round destinations served from BGY in the winter timetable [Frankfurt and Plovdiv also join the roster along with Tel Aviv for the winter season; Eilat joins the list of seasonal destinations a few days after TLV starts]. There are lots of destinations for which connecting flights are not offered - not just TLV.
    Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by lfc84
    easyjet already allow you to add multiple flights to your basket so long as they have 2 hours between landing and departing.
    however they arent sold as connection.
    when i have purchased in this manner i have always, thanfully, been on time

but you are correct, they will surely do the same now.
    the easyjet website has recently permitted me to book flights with less than 2 hours between landing and departing. travel is in november.
    Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:58 am

No surprise

Ryanair is bidding to take over, or rather, replace Alitalia. No wonder that Rome and Bergamo are named as the first interconnection airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.