Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The RYANAIR thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
My question is, if I buy a ticket at the airport, what type of fees should I expect? I will arrive on Wow with just a backpack that meets their free carry on requirement, so I shouldn't need to worry about their bag fees. If I buy a last minute ticket at the airport do I still have to pay a fee to check in at the airport? Do they charge extra fees on top of that to buy a last minute ticket at the airport?
At a minimum, expect the following fees:
Airport Booking Fee €20.00
Airport Check In Fee €50.00

The website lets you book tickets for up to 2.5 hours ahead, so you could avoid these by booking online then using either the mobile app to check in or finding a printer. If you check in online, but cannot print the boarding pass, the re-issue fee is €15.00, which is obviously cheaper than the airport check-in fee.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually, Dublin is more than worth a brief stopover. Why not factor in a night there, and buy the Ryanair ticket in advance online, thereby getting a good deal by booking early? It might not be such a bad idea, given that as we move into the winter season now weather can play a role in the dependability of trans Atlantic flights.

Or, when you arrive, buy the ticket on your smartphone and check in online. The price might be more than an overnight stop, though. Or check what another carrier has to offer, for a later flight that day (e.g. KL, EI), leaving enough time for potential delays.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Actually, Dublin is more than worth a brief stopover. Why not factor in a night there, and buy the Ryanair ticket in advance online, thereby getting a good deal by booking early? It might not be such a bad idea, given that as we move into the winter season now weather can play a role in the dependability of trans Atlantic flights.

Or, when you arrive, buy the ticket on your smartphone and check in online. The price might be more than an overnight stop, though. Or check what another carrier has to offer, for a later flight that day (e.g. KL, EI), leaving enough time for potential delays.
I've been to Dublin before, it is a lovely city. But, I want to make the most of the final days of the Rotterdam Film Festival. There is a 5PM flight on Aer Lingus that is selling for like 40 EUR right now, I'll probably just book that. I am traveling Eastbound around the world starting and ending in China and I booked the Trans Atlantic ticket when I saw the price, and now I am building an itinerary around it.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
At a minimum, expect the following fees:
Airport Booking Fee €20.00
Airport Check In Fee €50.00

The website lets you book tickets for up to 2.5 hours ahead, so you could avoid these by booking online then using either the mobile app to check in or finding a printer. If you check in online, but cannot print the boarding pass, the re-issue fee is €15.00, which is obviously cheaper than the airport check-in fee.
Thanks for the information!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Have Ryanair dropped their experiment with splitting groups up? [allocating the middles first, I think?]

Hard to tell from the seat map for my flight Sunday, though I do see one middle taken on it's own. I have a strong preference for not giving O'Leary any extra cash, but I think I may have to shell out for seats if we want to sit together this time.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by etiene
Have Ryanair dropped their experiment with splitting groups up? [allocating the middles first, I think?]
Not as of this morning.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Palal
Not as of this morning.
Nuts - they've weathered the storm of bad PR now so I doubt it'll be going back.

Thanks for the update.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I've been to Dublin before, it is a lovely city. But, I want to make the most of the final days of the Rotterdam Film Festival. There is a 5PM flight on Aer Lingus that is selling for like 40 EUR right now, I'll probably just book that. I am traveling Eastbound around the world starting and ending in China and I booked the Trans Atlantic ticket when I saw the price, and now I am building an itinerary around it.
Thanks for the info. Really interesting itinerary idea. Oddly, I was also looking at flights into RTM, but Transavia (HV) only have flights to MUC and ORY. I had also seen the Aer Lingus (EI) fares when I had a look on a random day in late January. I would go for that option because, even though EI has adopted the LCC service concept, it is a very nice airline. And their inflight BoB offering is one of the best that exists.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
Thanks for the info. Really interesting itinerary idea. Oddly, I was also looking at flights into RTM, but Transavia (HV) only have flights to MUC and ORY. I had also seen the Aer Lingus (EI) fares when I had a look on a random day in late January. I would go for that option because, even though EI has adopted the LCC service concept, it is a very nice airline. And their inflight BoB offering is one of the best that exists.
Ryanair is an airline I try to avoid because of garbage like intentionally splitting up groups, paying for boarding passes, paying for airport check in. I avoid Spirit as well because they are not upfront about fees.

While I prefer to earn Skyteam miles, I have no problem booking LCCs when they offer a vastly superior price and reasonable schedule.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:13 am

Ryanair is an airline I try to avoid because of garbage like intentionally splitting up groups, paying for boarding passes, paying for airport check in. I avoid Spirit as well because they are not upfront about fees.

While I prefer to earn Skyteam miles, I have no problem booking LCCs when they offer a vastly superior price and reasonable schedule.
Flew LIS-PDL for 60€ return each way with priority boarding and a seat reservation. I'd be hard-pressed to find this price on a legacy.

Last edited by Palal; Oct 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Flew LIS-PDL for 60€ return each way with priority boarding and a seat reservation. I'd be hard-pressed to find this price on a legacy.
For intra Europe flights, I will book Easyjet, Norwegian, Wow, Wizz, or Vueling without thinking twice. I have flown several segments on Air Asia as well. They are all very upfront and honest about what you do and don't get with your ticket. The passengers who complain about unexpected airport fees did not do their homework when they bought their ticket. Ryanair and Spirit are not as clear, especially Ryanair who charges for a boarding pass. I haven't flown as many LCC flights in the U.S., but I lived in Cincinnati, which until 2014, did not really have LCC service.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
I will be flying to Dublin on Wow at the end of January, I have no interest staying in Dublin, and plan to fly on to Amsterdam (couldn't pass up a 150 USD ticket over the Atlantic) I have played around with Skyscanner, and have found that at 4AM Dublin time today, I could buy a ticket for a same day flight to Amsterdam for 80 USD, arriving in the middle of winter, in the middle of the week, I can't imagine the tickets will be much more expensive. There are early flights with reasonably short, but possible layovers if my flight from Iceland is on time, and I wouldn't think twice about these layovers with a guarenteed connection.

My question is, if I buy a ticket at the airport, what type of fees should I expect? I will arrive on Wow with just a backpack that meets their free carry on requirement, so I shouldn't need to worry about their bag fees. If I buy a last minute ticket at the airport do I still have to pay a fee to check in at the airport? Do they charge extra fees on top of that to buy a last minute ticket at the airport?

If I am facing exhorbinent fees, I will just buy the cheap flight I see now on Aer Lingus and deal with the safe 9 hour layover.
dublin airport has free wifi - you should be able to book a ticket on your smartphone once you arrive, and check in online straight away, so avoiding fees.

but have a look over the next few days at the price of same day tickets - i think they're usually quite high.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:51 am

For intra Europe flights, I will book Easyjet, Norwegian, Wow, Wizz, or Vueling without thinking twice. I have flown several segments on Air Asia as well. They are all very upfront and honest about what you do and don't get with your ticket. The passengers who complain about unexpected airport fees did not do their homework when they bought their ticket. Ryanair and Spirit are not as clear, especially Ryanair who charges for a boarding pass. I haven't flown as many LCC flights in the U.S., but I lived in Cincinnati, which until 2014, did not really have LCC service.
Easyjet and Wizz do not allow you to check in at the airport, period. Ryanair is better than many of the above due to larger hand baggage allowance (1+1). Not sure where you're getting the idea that FR is different.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
dublin airport has free wifi - you should be able to book a ticket on your smartphone once you arrive, and check in online straight away, so avoiding fees.
It is worth noting with Ryanair that non-EEA passport holders must print their boarding pass (instead of showing it on a mobile phone), then have it stamped at the "document check" or one of the bag drops desk.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The current cost of RYR ticket is like 20-30EUR...

Isn't it better to buy both Ryanair and Aer Lingus, and just simply taking the Ryanair if you're on time, and Aer Lingus (or one of the other three Ryanair flights) if late?

I mean, it's probably cheaper to buy all the FR flights now just in case, than it would be to buy a same day ticket when you arrive.

edit: OK, so WOW arrives to DUB at 9 AM. You're thinking of buying a same day ticket, I'm guessing for 11AM Ryanair, if you can make it. For like, 80 euros?
Assuming you fly on 30th of January, you can get 11am, 3:10pm and 6:35pm all for 60EUR. Most of the days within 80. If you just book 2 of them, you can get them for 40-60.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Oct 12, 2017 at 5:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.