Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The RYANAIR thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I purchased a ticket on Ryanair two weeks ago for travel in a month. I purchased one 20kg checked bag for 25 Euro. Now I realize I may potentially need a second 20kg checked bag but the price seems to be 40 Euro now. I am wondering if there is any benefit to buying a second checked bag online now before going to the airport or should I just go to the airport and do it.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I wouldn't do anything at the airport with Ryanair, except board the plane. But others more experienced might have better suggestions.
expressboy and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by expressboy
I purchased a ticket on Ryanair two weeks ago for travel in a month. I purchased one 20kg checked bag for 25 Euro. Now I realize I may potentially need a second 20kg checked bag but the price seems to be 40 Euro now. I am wondering if there is any benefit to buying a second checked bag online now before going to the airport or should I just go to the airport and do it.
Do not do anything with Ryanair at the airport, their business model is designed around maximizing profit from the unprepared / unaware. Even purchasing it on the website at the time of check-in is better than doing it at the airport.
expressboy likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Agneisse
Do not do anything with Ryanair at the airport, their business model is designed around maximizing profit from the unprepared / unaware. Even purchasing it on the website at the time of check-in is better than doing it at the airport.
'https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bags

Cost

The 20kg check-in bag costs €/Ł25 if purchased while booking the flight, and costs €/Ł40 after the booking is made.

Checked bags are non-refundable, are charged per person, per one way flight, and cannot be swapped between passengers or changed to other bag options. *Higher bag fees apply when checked bags are purchased via a Ryanair call centre, at airport ticket desks, during peak periods and on selected routes.
expressboy likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by farci
*Higher bag fees apply when checked bags are purchased via a Ryanair call centre, at airport ticket desks, during peak periods and on selected routes.
Interesting that their fees page does not mention higher bag fees when paying at the airport.
expressboy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Interesting that their fees page does not mention higher bag fees when paying at the airport.
I think it does!

Check these at the bottom of the Fees table
expressboy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by farci
I think it does!

Check these at the bottom of the Fees table
There is room for doubt. For several other fees it shows:

and airport is specifically mentioned, whereas it's not for the part you pictured which includes baggage, ie airport is excluded? Your previous post sort of supports that view but it is (deliberately?) confusing.
expressboy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I will wait till checkin to see if I need another bag and then buy the extra bag online if needed.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by expressboy
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I will wait till checkin to see if I need another bag and then buy the extra bag online if needed.
don't forget that Ryanair don't normally enforce their official "one small free hand luggage bag" size limitations. as long as it is *not* a wheely, and not a stupid size, you can normally take a reasonable size bag onboard.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:57 am

Can you self-connect in DUB between two Ryanair flights on separate bookings without having to go through immigration/security? No checked bags, obviously.

I remember a long walk between Ryanair gates and immigration, but don't remember if there were separate levels for arrivals/departures, or you simply got dumped into the secure non-Schengen area on arrival from where you could immediately board another flight.

The airport website mentions you can only self-connect if both flights are on the same booking, but I fail to see what difference it would make. A boarding pass is a boarding pass, how are they going to check if I arrived on the same booking as the one I am going to depart on?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:07 pm
Suspended

AND SO IT BEGINS https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53485673
Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by bradders239
And so what begins?

German pilots were given the choice of pay-cuts or redundancies. They chose redundancies.

The UK pilots chose pay-cuts.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bradders239
Ryanair has been shutting bases, moving aircraft, and sacking/moving pilots for more than 30 years....

January 2020: Ryanair cuts over 200 jobs in Spain with closure of Canary Island bases
December 2019: Ryanair will close bases in Nuremberg, Stockholm
October 2019: Ryanair is closing a German base (Hamburg)
August 2019: Ryanair to close number of bases starting next year (Faro)
January 2019: Ryanair ‘threatened staff with closure of bases across Europe’
January 2019: New year, same threats to Ryanair pilots
October 2018: Lower traffic because of strikes: Ryanair closes Eindhoven and Bremen bases, reduces Niederrhein
October 2018: Ryanair to Close its Ibiza Base in Winter. “This Means War”, Union Reaction.
April 2018: Ryanair to reduce Greek domestic flights, close base at Chania airport
February 2018: Ryanair blames Air Tax for closing Glasgow airport base
June 2016: Ryanair attacked over Oslo base closure
February 2016: Ryanair closes Alghero and Pescara bases due to local tax hike
July 2015: Closure of Ryanair bases in Denmark
etc etc
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
"The firm said in a memo to pilots that its bases at Berlin Tegel and Dusseldorf airports were also at risk of closure by the end of the summer"

That's slightly disingenuous; Berlin-Tegel is closing permanently on November 8th, 2020, which is only a matter of days after the end of the "summer" season. As such, the base in Berlin-Tegel has to close. The new Berlin-Brandenburg airport will officially open on October 31st, with flights progressively moving from both TXL and SXF to BER over the subsequent days.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Mind you that the airport contractor (who sells you the bag, boarding pass etc. at the airport counter) may charge you an additional fee, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.