Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

What happens when you arrive late for a Ryanair flight in STN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when you arrive late for a Ryanair flight in STN

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 12:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I really enjoyed that read. I'm usually quick to blame the passenger (contributory negligence and all) but this guy's humor makes it so I can't help but love him.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:00 pm
Suspended

each to their own. unless I missed something I thought the letter was downright rude and says more about the authors than the airline.
I agree with this, sounds like a person who thinks they're much funnier than they are.
If I'm reading the letter correctly (not guaranteed, it makes my brain hurt) then if he'd turned up on time then he wouldn't have had a problem. There's not really anyone but himself to blame for getting stuck on the M25.
Mind you, based on the letter he wrote if I'd been a Ryanair employee and had this comedian come up to me in a bad mood then I'd have sent him on a wild goose chase too.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by browserden
Is there any other option to BTS? I know BA don't do the route.

That said I think VIE is close as one time in the distant past they'd advertise BTS as Vienna (Bratislava).

It's too soon to tell whether it's a case of same old Ryanair, it'll take a while for staff to get into a customer service culture after previously having to enforce rules to the extreme.
I trust that the letter is written for internet consumption only. In fairness, such a letter deserves a form response, if only to see the follow-on posting on the blog. That said, even a customer who made a mistake--such as arriving too close to departure--deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. I even had a vague impression that, had the author been treated in such a manner, he might have accepted the fact that he was contributorily at fault for arriving too late.

The author is however clearly not an FT poster. Had he been, he would have known that VIE is very close to BTS, and that after missing the initial flight, for less than the additional costs on hotel, taxis, expensive sandwiches, etc., he potentially could have flown to VIE, rented a car or taken a taxi/train, and possibly even arrived in time for his event. Notably, Germanwings flies STN-CGN-VIE, and AB flies STN-DUS-VIE. Not as convenient as a non-stop, but better than missing an important event and much less stressful than arguing with FR.

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience of transiting VIE-BTS. However, they appear to be sufficiently close that this is a legitimate option.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread has been moved here from the BA forum where it was originally posted, as the subject matter fits into this forum better.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 2, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Ryanair Customer's Hilarious Facebook Rant Complaining About Airline Goes Viral

James Lockley, a furious newlywed who missed his own wedding party because of 'incompetent' Ryanair staff members, posted an open letter to the airline on his Facebook page. His update has been 'shared' thousands of times and linked to even more widely.

You can read his whole long update here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...00-shares.html

EDIT: Ooops. I should have searched a bit harder. Sorry!

Last edited by FTcadence; May 2, 2014 at 2:42 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

There's a thread over in the BAEC forum chuckling about this....
Old May 2, 2014, 1:35 pm
sfx

five page thread about it on here too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...light-stn.html
Old May 2, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by uk1
It is a lovely read.

Ryanair is the example that turns many of the CS established wisdom on it's head. The fact is that it has grown exponentially in spite of it's reputation. What it proves is that if people basically get what they expect, then they continue to return. Ryanair seems to purposefully create a set of low expectations and rarely exceed them, but as this is what their customers' expect, few are disappointed. This is clearly working and oddly and perhaps perversely seems better than creating a set of much higher expectations, occasionally failing, and disappointing.

I wonder what answer he gets.
Exact same thing happens with Spirit in the US... I don't get it but then again I don't have to!
Old May 2, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Great read
Old May 2, 2014, 7:15 pm

Lockley says he intended to arrive earlier, allowed enough driving time plus extra time for delays, and then wound up even more delayed in traffic than could be reasonably anticipated. Just because check in opens 3 hours before departure doesn't mean you should be screwed over if you don't arrive that early. He says there was 20 minutes left to check bags and the plane itself was delayed 1 hour. With any little bit of competence and helpfulness from Ryanair staff, Lockley and his bride could have made the flight. There's no information to contradict his version of things, so why pile on and blame the guy as if it's his own fault?
Old May 2, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Gotta love it, pax was dumb enough to follow (alleged) poor instructions after showing up late and has the audacity to name call the staff...

Letter was funny and sarcastic, but it was nowhere near as good as the old Continental Seat 29E complaint.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/sea...really-stinks/
Old May 2, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
Anyone who arrives only one hour before flight time on any airline for any flight (short or long haul) anywhere in the western world deserves it if he/she doesn't make the flight.
I'm not picking on you, as several have echoed this sentiment. I typically shoot for 45 minutes, and have ocasionally been as late as 30 minutes.

Other than snagging free drinks at the club, I never understand people who want to spend multiple hours at the aiport.
Old May 3, 2014, 1:24 am

Deliciously funny letter! But most amusing is the number of hard nosed folk on this blog who would fit right into a job at Ryan Air...!
Old May 3, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
I'm not picking on you, as several have echoed this sentiment. I typically shoot for 45 minutes, and have ocasionally been as late as 30 minutes.

Other than snagging free drinks at the club, I never understand people who want to spend multiple hours at the aiport.
If I'm flying Ba with hang baggage from Manchester I won't even leave home until t-30, giving me 10 minutes for security which normally takes 3. Checking in a bag I'll push it a bit longer - arriving t-40.

LHR is a different beast, I aim for t-60 with a bag at t5, t-45 without, thanks to conformance. Last night arrived at checkin at t-47, dropped bag, security south, and then had 15 minutes in t5 north lounge before heading to a2 at t-25
Old May 3, 2014, 4:37 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by uk1
Ryanair is the example that turns many of the CS established wisdom on it's head. The fact is that it has grown exponentially in spite of it's reputation. What it proves is that if people basically get what they expect, then they continue to return.
Ryanair seems to purposefully create a set of low expectations and rarely exceed them, but as this is what their customers' expect, few are disappointed. This is clearly working and oddly and perhaps perversely seems better than creating a set of much higher expectations, occasionally failing, and disappointing.
When I first flew SWA I thought the same after flying DL in economy. Cross country with just peanuts and coffee? Then along came Spirit and Allegiant.

There was a great interview with Spirit CEO when he said that he cares about customer service, for 99.9% of his customers who want low fares and will not upset them by raising fares to keep 0.1% happy about the "service".

The problem is that his expectations were too high for the fare he paid. He does not seem to realize that low fares come with rigid rules. That they make money off late comers and bag fees and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.