Search

Mariinsky Ballet, St Petersburg?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Mariinsky Ballet, St Petersburg?

I'm hoping to fly over to St Petersburg to see Mariinsky Ballet sometime this year or later next year, but I have no idea what to expect.

Would someone be able to help me with the following info please?

1. Ticket and schedule - online sale, through agent etc? What's the best place to find a reliable scheduling info as far in advance as possible?

2. Any tips on good/bad seating areas etc?

3. Could you please recommend a nice hotel that convenient to Mariinsky Theatre (up to around €300/night)?

4. Is St Petersburg safe enough for a solo female traveller (experienced and non-timid, but the only experience in Russia has been the old Moscow Airport many years ago)?

5. Would Russian embassy require anything else for issuing a visa (I'm an Australian citizen) if I have a return flight, hotel reservation and reservation to see the ballet, and proof of funds etc? I assume not, but I am completely clueless about Russia so I prefer to have everything that's required ready and organised.

Any other tips relating to seeing the ballet there or St Petersburg in general, particularly for a solo female traveller, would be most gratefully received.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 23, 2009 at 9:54 am
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
1. Ticket and schedule - online sale, through agent etc? What's the best place to find a reliable scheduling info as far in advance as possible?
Here's their official web site where you can buy tickets (1-2 months in advance)

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much Paul.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Hi, LTNPhobe.

You should be fine traveling solo there, though it would help if you can read Cyrillic.

I would avoid the seats downstairs in the Maryinsky, as there's not much of a rake.

You will probably need a visa support letter from your hotel and you will probably have to complete a visa application and submit it with your passport and fee. (At least, we Yanks do). I don't think you need to submit proof of funds or, nowadays, return flight, though you'll have to say when you are leaving. Most of the hotels do the visa support letter for free, but will charge you if you then cancel your reservation.

The Astoria is probably the best hotel near the theatre, but, depending on when you are going, it may be pricier than you like.

I'm sending you a PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you rfrost, much appreciated, especially the seating info and the hotel recommendation.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
I just ordered 2 sets of tickets from the website. Very easy to use. Just be careful to use the foreigner or higher price setting. Locals pay at least one half less. Do not buy your tickets through an agency. I discovered there is a 50 to 100 percent mark up.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
The Marriott Renaissance is a great hotel less than a block from St. Isaac's Cathedral, and a short walk or cab to the Mariinskiy Theater. They will take care of your visa support letter for you.

Also, if you'd like to have a great dinner in a gorgeous setting right after the show, the Teatro Cafe right across the street was phenomenal. We had vodka, blinis, and caviar all while listening to a live harpist.

If you need any info on tours or the city in general, let me know. We just spent a week there in late July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.