Reload this Page >

St. Petersburg Logistics?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Petersburg Logistics?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Romelle
Do take a little while and see if you can learn a bit of that Russian alphabet, if you don't know it already. 33 letters. Quite a few of them the same as ours (Roman), but about 1/2 of those actually take on a different character. A handful of Greek letters. And the rest are a real challenge. However, with just the Roman and Greek ones sorted out, you will be able to crack quite a few cognates, and it feels so good when you do.

Romelle
I couldn't agree more. I felt so smart figuring out that PECTOPAH was "restaurant" and it continued from there. Don't learn it too well though or you'll have all sorts of trouble reading signs when you get back home!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
I couldn't agree more. I felt so smart figuring out that PECTOPAH was "restaurant" and it continued from there.
+1 I would suggest you not even contemplate going to Russia without spending an hour doing this.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
+1 I would suggest you not even contemplate going to Russia without spending an hour doing this.
Very true. Our very smart tour guide prepared a three or four page 'class' on the topic for us, and made everyone do it. I still couldn't read much, but every little bit helps.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
I couldn't agree more. I felt so smart figuring out that PECTOPAH was "restaurant" and it continued from there. Don't learn it too well though or you'll have all sorts of trouble reading signs when you get back home!
My wife (who hasn't been to Russia) and I joke about it whenever I'm in Moscow. "Going to the PECTOPAH to eat tonight..."
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
In St. Petersburg, a very easy excursion is to just catch the boat outside the Hermitage, and go to Peterhof. The boats run every 1/2 hour, the signs are in both Russian and English, the ride is very nice, and Peterhof spectacular.
Does anyone know the website for more info on this boat service to Peterhof? Is it still every 30 minutes? How long does it take, and what is the cost?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Does anyone know the website for more info on this boat service to Peterhof? Is it still every 30 minutes? How long does it take, and what is the cost?
It takes 35-40 minutes and operates every 30 minutes or so. Last time I was there it was (I believe) 450RUB each way. I know of no web site for the operators. There probably are sites. The pier is difficult to miss and the boats are pretty ppular.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Sep 8, 2011 at 7:32 am
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Astramarine
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:01 am

From Pulkovo airport buses regularly travel to St. Petersburg. This is the cheapest way. At the airport are always taxis. It is much more expensive.
Stop by the police? It depends on how you look. If you seem to be a resident of Caucasus or Asia you may by stoped frequently and check your passport.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by JoelA
We are heading to St. Petersburg in a few weeks. I wanted to pose a few logistical questions to the brain-trust on a couple topics where various searches have turned up somewhat conflicting or sketchy information:

Airport Transfers:
Is there any LED airport transfer company that folks here have actually used? There are a bunch mentioned on trip advisor but many appear to be second hand references. As any good F.T. would do, we are staying at the Marriott Courtyard burning points, so that’s where we are heading.

Rubles:
We’re a little hesitant to use cash machines – trying to keep from getting CC/debit card #’s lifted. Do many of you purchase rubles before you get there? We usually travel with USD travelers checks. Any issues in doing exchange at hotel or some of the exchange companies?

Police:
The guide books talk about police randomly stopping people for identity checks. Half of the books say carry copies of your documents, the other half of the guide books say carry the originals. Has anyone been stopped? Which did you have? What happened? Recommendations?

Tour Guides:
Finally, despite my pathological abhorrence of submitting to tours – my wife really wants to go on one. We usually walk everywhere and go through places ourselves. That said – does anyone here have good experiences and or recommendations for guides? Trip Advisor seems really focused on the cruise ship tour guides, and we’re looking to avoid that whole mass big-bus scene.

Many thanks!

Joel
1. Most international flights arrive at Pulkovo-2 airport.
Otttuda a bus number 13, pay the conductor 21 rubles.
Or bus number K13, driver pay 30 rubles.
This bus goes to the metro station "Moskovskaya".
2. Withdraw money from a bank card is better than on the street, and in the Bank's offices at the airport. Because ATM machines sometimes break down in the street, and not pull out the card.
I almost cry for all the cards, but get on a bus, metro and taxis. Taxi just will not accept cards.
3. Leave your passport in a safe in the hotel, go to the photocopy.
If you have a European look and you're sober, you do not stop.
However, in buses, especially at rush hour, or in the subway could be thieves.
4. I'll never take the tour guides, it makes no sense. It is better to read more in advance online.
I almost cry for all the cards, but get on a bus, metro and taxis. Taxi just will not accept cards.
5. And remember, most ordinary people in the street ready to help you.
But, unfortunately, very few people speak English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.