Sponsor letter visa requirement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sponsor letter visa requirement?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bcmatt
Do remember applications are only accepted for a few hours every day (and maybe only certain days a week) and queues could be very long (I don't know what Washington DC will be like, but London used to be notoriously bad).
I recently went to the DC consulate and only waited 10 minutes to drop off my application. Hours are M-F 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Turnaround for regular processing was 6 business days.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by langleyoaker
I recently went to the DC consulate and only waited 10 minutes to drop off my application. Hours are M-F 9 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Turnaround for regular processing was 6 business days.
My boyfriend went to the NYC consulate this week. He mistakenly thought that he could do it on his lunch break. When he arrived at 12:00 or so, they told him that he had to come back at 2pm. There were about 10 people in line. He went back at 2pm to find at least 20 people already in line before they re-opened. He got out of there at about 3:30. They are taking the full 10 days to process the visas - not including the day it was dropped off. The guy made a big deal because the picture was not glued onto the application. Also, one page ripped very slightly when he pulled off the paperclip - that was also an issue.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by TelevisionTdTina
I live in S.Cal. I really want send the paperwork to the SF Russian Consulate myself...

I may need your expert guidance.
I mailed it from Westwood, UPS overnight after I added pages to my passport at the passport agency there. It went pretty smooth after I got them the right app. PM me w questions or post them here, so everyone can possibly learn.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by iahphx
Hmmm. Do you think the SF consultate will handle "business" from other states? I'm currently located about 100 miles from DC, so I called them about their procedures. Olga was very friendly on the phone (I'm comparing this to dealing with Chinese visas ), but basically said I've got to show up myself (or use a service) to get my visa. I also have to come back to pick it up --or give someone my "ticket" to do so. You also need a cashier's check or money order -- no cash or credit cards.
Im not sure if you have to use the one closest to you?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I used visa express (www.visaexpress.net) when I was living in Houston. Used to drop off the passport with them and they used to send it back with visa by fedex to my office. I am sure they can do it by post/fedex. Used to take care of everything, including organising invitations.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:33 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Can you get a sponsorship from one hotel, stay there a few days and move on? Or, do you need sponsorship from each overnight stop of a trip?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Can you get a sponsorship from one hotel, stay there a few days and move on? Or, do you need sponsorship from each overnight stop of a trip?
I don't deal a lot in tourist visas but I know the processing guys I use in DC have very, very little wiggle room as far as getting days added to the life of a visa beyond what is prepaid for and shown in a reservation from a hotel.

There are ways though. PM me if interested...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Many of the visa services will sell you an invitation for $20 or so. That lets you specify whatever dates you wish for your trip. I've always padded it out to a full month and then stayed wherever I wished (making sure to register/notify as per the then-current regulation). Hotels wn't have any problem with this.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
You need sponsorship each night of the trip (and many visa agencies will supply an invitation which covers the entire duration of the trip and then some, rather than the period of a hotel reservation).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Many of the visa services will sell you an invitation for $20 or so. That lets you specify whatever dates you wish for your trip. I've always padded it out to a full month and then stayed wherever I wished (making sure to register/notify as per the then-current regulation). Hotels wn't have any problem with this.

Just to clarify, hotels won't have any problems with the traveler using an invitation issued by another service; they do not, as a rule, pad the dates beyond those on a reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.