Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Old Central Airport where new stadium was built.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Central Airport where new stadium was built.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:09 pm

When I was there in May 2008 the cosmonaut museum was closed near VDNK was closed. It looks like a small building from the outside so I wouldn't expect more than 1-2 hours there. The surrounding VDNK has interesting Soviet-era architecture so even if the cosmonaut museum is closed the area is still a worthwhile site. Note although the exhibition center is interesting isn't not a top tier site so I'd see it after the Kremlin.

I'd estimate about $600 US for the star city trip. Here's a link to my trip report about my experience:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-856323.html
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Wow! My family is two adults an three children and now one of them counts as an adult so that would be a budget breaker if there is not a less expensive way to do it.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by greg999
When I was there in May 2008 the cosmonaut museum was closed near VDNK was closed. It looks like a small building from the outside so I wouldn't expect more than 1-2 hours there. The surrounding VDNK has interesting Soviet-era architecture so even if the cosmonaut museum is closed the area is still a worthwhile site. Note although the exhibition center is interesting isn't not a top tier site so I'd see it after the Kremlin.
VDNK is quite interesting, but I'd agree with the above. The Cosmonaut Museum was closed during my last two trips to Moscow
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
VDNK is quite interesting, but I'd agree with the above. The Cosmonaut Museum was closed during my last two trips to Moscow
According to this: http://www.museum.ru/M329 - the Memorial Museum of Cosmonautics re-opens 12 April 2009, however I would take any dates for re-opening after a period of reconstruction with a pinch of salt!

Meanwhile I know the OP has been recommended the In Your Pocket guides many times, but they also have videos on YouTube, including this one on the topic at hand which may be interesting! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6mwdCdw0NXk
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:37 am

I went to the cosmonaut museum a few years ago. It was nice, though fairly small. 1 hour should be enough to see it, unless they're adding a lot. It's under the base of the giant rocket sculpture.

VDNKh also has a Vostok 1 on display outside the old Cosmos pavilion. There are some space-related exhibits in the State Central Museum of Contemporary History too.

Lenin's tomb is open 10-1 Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sat, but has frequent closures beyond this, particularly if there's an event in Red Square. No bags or cameras are permitted, and respectful decorum enforced. Lines can be very long for just a minute or so walking through the building, and if you're still waiting in line at 1 you're out of luck.

Touring the Kremlin itself is a must-see.

Note that non-Russian entrance fees are much higher than for citizens, and are strictly enforced. A docent at the Kremlin made my Russian friend show ID after she overheard him talking in English to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.