Buying a SIM card in Russia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a SIM card in Russia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
A recent experience buying a sim card at DME.

I was there last Thursday evening, having landed from LHR at 1700. At the departures hall, opposite the Transaero check-in counters, there was a small MTS (MTC in Russian) stand staffed with two young guys. I was with a Russian-speaking friend, so no idea if they spoke English, but judging from other experiences in Moscow I bet they must have known a few words at least.

For 500 RUB (approx. 8 USD) I got a nano-sim (iPhone 6) with 1.5 GB of 3G data, 400 minutes for calls within Moscow and unlimited Russia-wide SMS. The plan is good for a whole month.

They only asked for my passport and immigration form, and then I had to sign the contract. No other personal information was required - and neither my home address nor my home phone number appear on my passport.

Overall it was very simple and the MTS signal was very strong all over Moscow.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Hyatt, SPG
I would recommend buying a SIM card through MTC or Beeline. They are the most prolific carriers in Russia. They have shops inside the airport but those tend to be more expensive. Outside of pretty much every metro station in central Moscow, there will either be an MTC stand or store. I would recommend you buy there as the SIM card itself will be free. You should have a 4g signal the entire time you are in Moscow. Unlimited plans are priced between 30-50 dollars. Just pop the SIM card into your unlocked phone and you are ready to go.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
If you can't manage Russian, the English phrase "tourist SIM" seems to correlate pretty closely. MTS store people have immediately understood what I was after.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DanMilesGrad
I would recommend buying a SIM card through MTC or Beeline. They are the most prolific carriers in Russia. They have shops inside the airport but those tend to be more expensive. Outside of pretty much every metro station in central Moscow, there will either be an MTC stand or store. I would recommend you buy there as the SIM card itself will be free. You should have a 4g signal the entire time you are in Moscow. Unlimited plans are priced between 30-50 dollars. Just pop the SIM card into your unlocked phone and you are ready to go.

30-50 USD???

There are way cheaper options.

E.g. go to Megafon! They have the best data coverage and voice quality.
You pay around 2 USD for the SIM card.

There is a plan called "Всё включено" (Vsyo Vklyutcheno) which means "All activated". There are several levels starting from XS to L (and VIP).

E.g. you currently pay $3.19 for the S plan which includes 3GB of data and 400min to any operator + 100 SMS. It's a promotional price for first month only, afterwards it's $6.54.

http://moscow.megafon.ru/tariffs/alltariffs/
Google Translate is your friend
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
For anyone from the US I strongly recommend Tmobile with their global data plan, included in even the cheapest Select plan for $35 p/mo. Gives unlimited SMS, free wifi calls, $.20 per minute off wifi and throttled internet but usable for google maps and email. You can check FB back at the hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
For anyone from the US I strongly recommend Tmobile with their global data plan, included in even the cheapest Select plan for $35 p/mo. Gives unlimited SMS, free wifi calls, $.20 per minute off wifi and throttled internet but usable for google maps and email. You can check FB back at the hotel.
Right, have it for 2 years and love it. At the same reason, most people get local SIM cards for local communication - I am pretty sure you still pay extra for, let's say calling Moscow number being in Moscow - 20c for calls + the cost of the call to Russia. It's also pretty expensive for Russian friends/ colleagues to get a hold of you since they need to call your US number.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Yeah from what I read online mts and beeline seem to offer the best options with a 3gb data package being around 350rub. I'll get one at the train station upon my arrival from Helsinki. Should cover St Petersburg, Moscow, and kaliningrad.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
DME late arrival

I am arriving late in DME about midnight is there a place I can buy a nano sim at this time
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:47 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi FT,

I'm interested in getting a cheap Russian-brand smartphone and a SIMcard with a data plan.

My port of entry will be St. Petersburg, so is there a mobile phone/3rd-hand tech. shopping center I could wander around there?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi FT,

I'm interested in getting a cheap Russian-brand smartphone and a SIMcard with a data plan.

My port of entry will be St. Petersburg, so is there a mobile phone/3rd-hand tech. shopping center I could wander around there?

Thanks,
BmB
I picked mine up from a MTC store in St Petersburg (there are plenty of them). 5gb data package for 350rub and a nano sim. They don't speak English so I Google translated phrases before (nano sim, national roaming, data only package, etc) and they understood what I wanted. Remember to bring your passport.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
I picked mine up from a MTC store in St Petersburg (there are plenty of them). 5gb data package for 350rub and a nano sim. They don't speak English so I Google translated phrases before (nano sim, national roaming, data only package, etc) and they understood what I wanted. Remember to bring your passport.
Thanks, jason8612.

Did you buy a mobile phone as well? That's more of a priority for me, getting a GSM phone but made for the Russian market.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Thanks, jason8612.

Did you buy a mobile phone as well? That's more of a priority for me, getting a GSM phone but made for the Russian market.
I bought a Nokia gsm phone when my stopped working in Kyrgyzstan. The phones are good for all markets not just Russia. I used it when I came back home, and in several different countries after that. Such as UAE and Afghanistan. I now have an unlocked I phone which I use. You may want to wait and go to a regular store in town as opposed to buying at the airport.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I bought a Nokia gsm phone when my stopped working in Kyrgyzstan. The phones are good for all markets not just Russia. I used it when I came back home, and in several different countries after that. Such as UAE and Afghanistan. I now have an unlocked I phone which I use. You may want to wait and go to a regular store in town as opposed to buying at the airport.
Thanks powerlifter.

Yep, wouldn't think of buying that at any airport anyway. Really I'm into getting an Android phone - Nokia would do - but preferably one from a Russian company.

I guess I'm just hoping that there would be some zany mobile phone malls (either in St. Petersburg or Moscow) à la China and SE Asia.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Thanks powerlifter.

Yep, wouldn't think of buying that at any airport anyway. Really I'm into getting an Android phone - Nokia would do - but preferably one from a Russian company.

I guess I'm just hoping that there would be some zany mobile phone malls (either in St. Petersburg or Moscow) à la China and SE Asia.
There are you need to go to the som store. It is like a big shopping mall with a lot of different things you can buy. They will have several phone shops as well as well as general merchandise. I have never seen a phone made in Russia. I have seen all the different types of regular phones. One question do you speak Russian? If not you may want to take someone you can trust to translate for you.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:49 pm

Thanks, jason8612.

Nope. I used my Sony z3 that I use in poland and just swapped out the Sim card.
Any reason why you want a phone made for the Russian market? I would assume any phone made for the European market would also work in Russia as its the same GSM bands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.