Aeroflot safe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GfL
I've had tiny ice crystals dropping from the vents on occasion (NOT always on Russian planes!). It happens.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDFightinIrish
Is Aeroflot a reasonably safe airline to fly on? I am only going from Moscow to St Petersburg but I have a coworker who also writes travel reports for a newspaper that said he has been on Aeroflot flights where they do not have enough seats for paying passengers and some people have had to stand. He also reported one plane that was in such bad condition rainfall from outside was dripping in the plane. Does anyone else have similar stories with Aeroflot?
Is this coworker for real? Has this coworker ever been out of indiana? does he write travel reports about going to Gary?

There have been stories about packing planes with laborers to be shipped to the far north east, but not paying passengers to European destinations.

I think the train from downtown Moscow to downtown Petersburg does not take all that much more time than flying. Love the overnight. Next time we go to Russia, we will not rent one of those expensive hotel rooms, we will just night train back and forth.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I would take the train, as SVO's still a huge hassle and the time saved by flying is close to zero. As for Tupolev planes -- I don't know why people have problems with them, as they are safer than most regional jets. Most airplane accidents happen because of human mistakes, and SU has experienced pilots. The only beef I have with TU-154 is the ultra-small overhead bins (I haven't flown on the 134). This is because carry-ons were gate-checked during Soviet times.

If you're flying business, get the seats on the right in the last row in business on SU. You'll have the most leg room you could ever want. I also liked the interior of Y, which looks much nicer than anything modern and plastiky on boeings.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Palal
The only beef I have with TU-154 is the ultra-small overhead bins (I haven't flown on the 134). This is because carry-ons were gate-checked during Soviet times.
The TU-134 has what can best be described as a small shelf suitable for storing coats and nothing else.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 5, 2007 at 7:26 pm
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I took my first SU flight (SVO-AMS) yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with the economy class product on the 320. Nice leather seats, satisfactory pitch, and an edible hot meal. In my opinion, SU's current livery is the best in the business.

SVO-2, on the other hand, is an absolute hellhole. Departing or arriving. If I never fly through it again, it will still be too soon.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:22 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by xyzzy
The TU-134 has what can best be described as a small shelf suitable for storing coats and nothing else.
Actually the 134 has a whole range of interior designs. It hasn't been built new for some years and there have been all sorts of refurbishments done, some with overhead bins. It is of course quite a small fuselage cross-section, like one of the longer RJs.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Originally Posted by travelmad478
It's not only safe, but a much nicer flight experience than some other Western European/US carriers. .... Last week, I took SU in business class to/from LHR, and they beat the pants off the BA flight in every department (seat comfort, fast/friendly service, IFE, for starters). And now, finally, you can get SkyTeam miles for traveling on SU!
Agreed.

SUs international fleet is one of the newest and the flight crew are very qualified. I fly LAX-SVO often and will qualify for DL PM status next month w/o the benefit of flying on DL. SU is now able to process eticket at the airport. You just present you etkt printout for your boarding pass. NO more paper tkts.

This week on my ret flight in Y, I was frustrated they didnt have a beef choice and declined dinner. As a result they went out of the way to use the beef dish from BUS Class for my req. I didnt expect that.

Now if they could only control the passengers from jumping out of their seats b4 the plane is at the gate, it might be safer
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:43 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by lesenok
Now if they could only control the passengers from jumping out of their seats b4 the plane is at the gate, it might be safer
LOL, were we on the same flight?

As for e-tix, just make sure you make no changes to it , or you may have problems like xyzzy
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:08 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Palal
LOL, were we on the same flight?
I think that's every flight At least in business class the passengers are slightly more experienced in the standard rules of air travel, but of course, they still all turn on their cell phones as soon as the plane is within 1,000 feet of the ground... The brook-no-nonsense attitude of BA's FAs is the one thing I miss about BA on this route--but I sure do appreciate getting fussed over by SU's crew!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:36 am

Programs: AF/KL, LX, IB
Cool

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I think that's every flight
well this has nothing to do with aeroflot, its all about us russian people flying nearly any airline
Old Jul 7, 2007, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It does seem to be on every SU flight. As soon as the aircraft touches the runway the pax are up in the aisles grabbing things from the overhead bins.

Regarding the TU-134, I've only ever seen the small shelf design. I'm sure that there are others.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:44 am

Plenty safe in my 10 years flying with them - though don't expect much excitement at feeding time (consider bringing your own spices to enliven the food.) As plenty others have suggested here - trains in Russia are an experience unto themselves. If at all possible, choose a relaxing train ride over a hectic flight... see you at traintalk.com! ;]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.