Search

Short visit to Kiev

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:08 am
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Short visit to Kiev

I am hoping to add a brief side-trip to Kiev on an upcoming RTW trip. I had 4 days there about 2.5 years ago, and would like to take the chance to catch up with a friend (a boy we hosted for 5 weeks in 1998 through a group called "Children of Chennobyl for Surviving").

What option are there for transport from Kiev airport (KBP) to a private residence on the other side of the city?

Also, does anyone know if there is still a need to "register" your passport after arrival? When I was there previously we had to register within 4 days of arrival and this could not be done at the airport. Given that I will only be there for 2 nights, registering will be a real pain.

Thanks in advance,
NM
Old Jan 11, 2002, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume Kiev is like MOW & LED. We had to register, and we had to have a visa. Russia is in the process of setting up visa issue in Russia, but I don't think that is very far along right now.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 8:55 pm

NM -- Keep in mind that Kiev is in Ukraine, not Russia, thus you need to consult with the Ukrainian rules. According to the Ukrainian Consulate General in NY, "registration with local authorities of foreign citizens temporary visiting Ukraine and their passports is no longer required as of July 1, 2001." You still need a visa though.

Your options for transport from KBP to Kiev will depend on how much luggage you have. One economical option is to take an express bus (reasonably comfortable) from KBP to the city center, then hail a cab (would be my personal choice) or take a subway.

Hope it helps!

Old Jan 13, 2002, 7:56 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
NM -- Keep in mind that Kiev is in Ukraine, not Russia, thus you need to consult with the Ukrainian rules. According to the Ukrainian Consulate General in NY, "registration with local authorities of foreign citizens temporary visiting Ukraine and their passports is no longer required as of July 1, 2001." You still need a visa though.
</font>
Thanks for the link. I know Kiev is in Ukraine and not Russia, and how Ukrainians dislike being called Russian (like Canadians don't like being called American I guess). I won't be going through Russia and will need the Visa issued in Australia before I leave similar to last time I went.

Last time the Visa application was a painful process, requiring a written official letter of invitation from our Ukrainian hosts, meaning I will need to get things moving since snail mail between Ukrain and Australia can take weeks to get through.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Your options for transport from KBP to Kiev will depend on how much luggage you have. One economical option is to take an express bus (reasonably comfortable) from KBP to the city center, then hail a cab (would be my personal choice) or take a subway.

Hope it helps!
</font>
Cost is not really an issue since I'm not paying for accommodation, so really looking for the simplest way for a non-Russian reader/speaker to find my way. I am sure my hosts will offet to collect me, but I know that is not easy for them and if it was easy for me to arrange a driver/cab etc direct from the airport then that may be a good option.

The amount of luggage will depend on how I connect from the US or UK and if I can leave the bulk of my luggage somewhere in London before going LGW-KBP and just take an overnight bag.

Thanks for the replies. I noticed this board was not very active and was hoping someone with local knowledge would assist. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.