Search

Eastern-most cities in Russia for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Eastern-most cities in Russia for award travel

Hi everyone

What are the eastern-most Russian cities (closest to Korea / Japan) that can be travelled to using award bookings in the same way as traveling to Moscow (i.e. belong to the same zone) ?

Searching on aa.com for instance, there's no availability on S7 on many different dates to KHV, which seems very odd. I'm interested in options on all 3 alliances. Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:27 pm
DNA

Programs: BAEC
I'm not sure where you are flying from/to.

S7 flights from Western Russia to Far East usually connect in OVB (e.g. DME-OVB-VVO/KHV)

oneworld usually has plenty of reward seats DME-IKT on S7, we flew there last summer for 12500 Avios OW per person.

Stop in IKT for a few days and take a side trip to lake Baikal (train or bus).

From there, there are direct flights to mainland China (e.g. IKT-PEK)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DNA
I'm not sure where you are flying from/to.

S7 flights from Western Russia to Far East usually connect in OVB (e.g. DME-OVB-VVO/KHV)

oneworld usually has plenty of reward seats DME-IKT on S7, we flew there last summer for 12500 Avios OW per person.

Stop in IKT for a few days and take a side trip to lake Baikal (train or bus).

From there, there are direct flights to mainland China (e.g. IKT-PEK)
From Europe, and I'm looking for a sweet spot which will allow me to fly very close to Japan/Korea for very few miles (preferably in J), and then I can hop over the rest of the distance with either some low cost cash flight, or a distance based redemption eg. avios.

Good to know about the DME-IKT on S7, but it being avios means a huge amount if I'm arriving, say, from the UK.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
You're a bit late to the party as most (if not all) FF programs now price flights to eastern Russia much higher than to MOW or LED.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bamba70
From Europe, and I'm looking for a sweet spot which will allow me to fly very close to Japan/Korea for very few miles (preferably in J), and then I can hop over the rest of the distance with either some low cost cash flight, or a distance based redemption eg. avios.

Good to know about the DME-IKT on S7, but it being avios means a huge amount if I'm arriving, say, from the UK.
I'd be suspicious that it would be expensive and/or inconvenient to get from far eastern Russia to Japan or South Korea. You might not like the eastern Russian airports, aircraft, or service. Food and lodging could also be an issue, depending on your standards. Don't forget that Russia probably means a visa, double-entry if you return using the same route.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar
You're a bit late to the party as most (if not all) FF programs now price flights to eastern Russia much higher than to MOW or LED.
Seems like AA considers all of Russia as part of Europe.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver

You're looking to go to VVO then. You'll need a Russian visa.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:49 am

A few months ago , you could go from Europe to Vladivostok for 15000 Flying blue miles. No longer allowed...
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:41 pm
DNA

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be suspicious that it would be expensive and/or inconvenient to get from far eastern Russia to Japan or South Korea. You might not like the eastern Russian airports, aircraft, or service. Food and lodging could also be an issue, depending on your standards. Don't forget that Russia probably means a visa, double-entry if you return using the same route.
S7 has direct flights Irkutsk-Seoul: IKT-ICN 14JUL-04AUG roundtrip economy 35987RUB, business 49162RUB

Aircraft may be hit and miss on short-haul domestic flights in Western Russia and/or local airlines. Medium/long-haul flights on Aeroflot and S7 use newer planes, and the quality of service on DME-IKT is better than, say, AA's BOS-LAX.

Roads and traffic in large cities are bad though.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Seems like AA considers all of Russia as part of Europe.
But they won't let you book beyond the Urals. Availability will show, but the tickets won't calculate the tax.

BA avios are fine.

The last time I used AAdvantage to get from London to Moscow and then Avios to get to Irkutsk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.