Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aerosvit Domestic Baggage Allowance on Int'l Itin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat

I have a colleague going from JFK to KBP to SIP. He wants to know if he'll have to recheck bags at KBP and if so will be be given the same weight allowance as the got from JFK to KBP.

I know the SU game quite well but VV is a mystery to me.

Anyone have any experiences or insights?
Old May 23, 2008, 1:33 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The same principles apply:

http://www.aerosvit.ua/eng/infox/faq/rules.html#_155
15.5.1.3. In international (transatlantic) transportation, which is fulfiled in sequence on the legs of international and domestic air lines, or vice versa, the Passenger has a right to transport baggage on the domestic leg pursuant to standards of free baggage transportation according to the class of service of international airline.
Old May 23, 2008, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KVS
The same principles apply:

http://www.aerosvit.ua/eng/infox/faq/rules.html#_155
15.5.1.3. In international (transatlantic) transportation, which is fulfiled in sequence on the legs of international and domestic air lines, or vice versa, the Passenger has a right to transport baggage on the domestic leg pursuant to standards of free baggage transportation according to the class of service of international airline.
I found this earlier and already included this in an email to my colleague but we all know that companies in the former Soviet Union have published rules and, for lack of a better term, enforced realities. SU for instance says one thing but there's lot of ways to get around it.

Just wondering if anyone has any practical, on the ground recent experience with VV.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
The procedure will be this way:

1) in JFK, the luggage should be tagged to SIP, however normally they won't be able to issue the boarding pass for the domestic segment of the jourhey;
2) Upon arrival to KBP, your friend should go through the passport control (there are two sections for the passport control in KBP - one for Ukrainian nationals and another - for all other passports. He should make sure that he does not stand in the wrong line.
3) Pick up the luggage and go through green corridor (nothing to declare) or red one (things to declare).
4) Upon exiting, one will face a severe fight of many taxi drivers offering you to transport you to the city for a very "cheap" price - ignore!!! (and just in case someone needs - it pays a LOT to order the taxi upon arrival from a certified agency);
5) Having left the main building, he/she should turn right and walk 3-5 minutes to the Terminal A. There domestic flights are handled.

Bon chance... And well, if I were your friend, I would not fly with VV either int'l or domestic. He should be ready for a "US airways in a very very bad mood and money situation" flying experience.
Old May 27, 2008, 5:11 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
For passport control, he/she should stand in one of the lines that says "UKRAINE NATIONALS", but then has a yellow arrow pointing to the right. It is often short because foreigners overlook the little arrow. With the summer arrival time of the JFK flight, there shouldn't be a lot of people. If the fligt gets delayed, then expect 1-2hours in passport hall.

I work with a guy who fly them every couple of weeks (Int'l) and have heard no complaints, but on is C KBP-BKK-KBP
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
What about luggage transfer for somebody flying SVO-KBP-ARN? When I check my luggage in SVO, will I have to collect it myself at KBP and re-check it or will they do everything for you (I will only pick my luggage up when I land in ARN)? Anybody has an experience with something similar on VV? Email to VV office went unanswered, of course.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
There's a parallel Aerosvit discussion taking place here.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by asnovici
What about luggage transfer for somebody flying SVO-KBP-ARN? When I check my luggage in SVO, will I have to collect it myself at KBP and re-check it or will they do everything for you (I will only pick my luggage up when I land in ARN)? Anybody has an experience with something similar on VV? Email to VV office went unanswered, of course.
Yes, you have to pick up your luggage in Terminal A and carry ti yourself to Terminal B. I have done the exact trib by myself.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by gdaily
Yes, you have to pick up your luggage in Terminal A and carry ti yourself to Terminal B. I have done the exact trib by myself.
Wow, seriously? Even though SVO-KBP is an international flight? Don't international flights arrive to Terminal B, and Terminal A is used only for domestic Ukraine flights?

Not only that, I just checked the Kiev Airport current arrivals information and every international flights (including two from SVO) are arriving to Terminal B. Would I have to pick up my luggage at terminal B and then re-check it in terminal B?

Last edited by asnovici; Jan 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:02 pm

Sorry, my mistake
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Baggage "reality"

FWIW: Just got jacked in PRG while taking PRG->BSP (only first leg!). Czech Air ground crew insisted that flights were limited to a single piece of carry-on luggage max. 6kg... originally asked for $240, after run-around would finally insisted on $40US... in cash. (I demanded a receipt).
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I have flown with Aerosvit many times and Ukraine International a number of times and never had an issue. Luck of the draw I guess. However BA and Virgin in my experience are absolute animals everywhere when it comes to luggage and cabin baggage weights - so much so in fact that I am my family have largely given up flying with them over the last couple of years when they stepped up their efforts to extract large sums of money at check in. One of Virgin's ploys is to use the baggage allowance as a way to try to convince you to upgrade at check in so you get a higher allowance and solve your problem that way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.