Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Aeroflot

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / IHG Platinum AMB
Experience with Aeroflot

Last week I flew AMS-HKG on Aeroflot. The only positive thing I can say, is that you earn 100% FB miles on all classes and I had a cheap ticket in this expensive christmas holidays.

I will tell you about my experiences.

AMS-SVO on 21DEC
Flight on Airbus A320 was resonable. They did what they had to do: to bring you on time to SVO. Catering was minimal: during the 3.5 hours flight all I got was: 1 cup of juice, a (quite nice) meal without drink and coffee/tea after meal. If you liked to have a whine for example, you had to pay for it!!!

Airport Moscow
The big downside of flying with Aeroflot is the international airport of Moskow! The most terrible airport I have ever been to!! Way too many people around in this small airport and the Russian staff treats passengers like old trash.
I didn't expect much of the lounge, but as Aeroflot having its homebase in Moskow, it should be at least reasonable, I thought. After a long search I found the lounge, but what a terrible place! Way too small for the number of people visiting. There were no seats left and people were standing in corners to have a quick drink or snack. And it was a mess: everywhere used glasses, opened peanut bags...
Went to a regular bar in the airport where it was better to stay.

SVO-HKG on 21DEC
Check-in for flight to HKG went on time, but when everybody was in the airplane, waiting to take off, there was a message of a technical problem that had to be solved, everybody had to go back to the terminal!
All together the delay was 4 hours before we really left Moskow. Imagine:
- no drinks/snacks or coupons were offered
- no information at the airport about where to go / when flight was due to leave, just staff that lets you wait in long queues without telling anything (I really wonder if they can speak English!) and looking at you like " One wrong movement and I shoot you!"
- On arrival in Hong Kong no travel discount coupon or something like that.
In bad mood I went to the lounge again for a coffee...

Flight to Hong Kong on Boeing 767 was ok. Catering again very very minimal. 1 juice, dinner without drink and coffee/tea when we departed and the same again in the morning with breakfast. The dinner was terrible, I didn't eat it, breakfast was ok.
All information given by the purser or captain is not understandable. They speak English with such a huge Russian accent that I could only get some words here and there.

Conclusion:
I will definately choose for another Skyteam airline next time. Usually I fly KLM and I am quite satisfied with it. If you're looking for cheap flights that earn 100% miles, then go for Aeroflot, but don't have any expectations.
Elite-status doesn't say anything, however, I got my free coffee at Moskow airport...hehe

If my flight back (next week) is reason for a totally different story, I will definately share it with you!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: AF&KL FB(P), LX M&M, IB+
i dont suppose your free coffee in Moscow was any good, or was it?
well pretty sad but thats reality with aeroflot - you cant get any sense out of them. as for the english - come on! not so long ago it was normal they would involve other passengers to translate whatever you are asking of them
btw did experience also Kenia Airways for comparison?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
As this thread is about SU and not KL or FB, I'll move it to the Other European forum, the designated home for all things Aeroflot. God help us.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
As this thread is about SU and not KL or FB, I'll move it to the Other European forum, the designated home for all things Aeroflot. God help us.

SVO is indeed one of the worst airports in Europe quite contrary to DME on the other hand.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:43 am

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by marsel
btw did experience also Kenia Airways for comparison?
That's not quite a comparison to the OP's experience with Aeroflot. I fly KQ quite often both within African and to/from AMS and am generally quite satisfied with the food and beverage selection. Transiting at NBO is also quite ok and while the KQ lounge is nothing to write home about, it is certainly more peaceful than the general transit area and does offer an ample selection of snacks and drinks. I would opt for KL over KQ, if I have a choice, but after all is said and done, I would certainly rate them way above Aeroflot (as discussed by the OP, I have no personal experience here).
Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
My experience with SU has been much more positive than the OP's. In 2006 (and to-date in 2007), I flew SU in Y short-haul to/from SVO-MXP, FCO and LHR (as well as LED domestically) and long-haul to JFK, and in J to LHR and JFK-SVO, amounting to a total of approximately 11 international segments (3 long-haul, 8 short-haul).

Airport issues [SVO] aside, short-haul I generally find SU in economy to be on a par with any other major European airline (and the food is IMHO better than BA short-haul), and in J to be superior to BA in comfort [real seat, like domestic F in the US] and personal attention and to OK in comfort. The service is particularly good if one is a non-Russian who speaks Russian. SU also distributes Digiplayers for individualized on-demand IFE, which is certainly an advantage over most of the short-haul competition.

Long-haul I have found SU to be adequate, which I think is closer to the OP's view. In Y I was pleased with the service and general comfort (compared to DL or AA transatlantic), but the flight was also only 2/3 full and the IFE was nonfunctioning. In J, SU's product is adequate; it lacks the polish of VS, BA or even AA, but I slept adequately in the seat (not quite lie-flat, though close), the food was inoffensive, the wine pleasant and the service attentive. I would have slept even better had the cabin temperature been turned down a few degrees and my reading light did not work properly. The personal Digiplayer provides AVOD.

Where SU suffers is ground service, whether at SVO or elsewhere. Without getting into details, if one has no special requirements/requests everything should be fine, and even if one does have special circumstances it will eventually be fine--but getting there can be a bit of an adventure (as is so much in Russia, but that is OT here). The lounge at SVO leaves a lot to be desired, but it is far preferable to the alternative (sleeping on the stairs), and other than the lack of windows does not compare unfavorably to many US lounges. They also did bar smoking in the lounge sometime in the past 12-18 months, which is a major improvement.

Last edited by chalf; Jan 4, 2007 at 2:26 pm Reason: Sense and accuracy
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:21 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by chalf
My experience with SU has been much more positive than the OP's. In 2006 (and to-date in 2007), I flew SU in Y short-haul to/from SVO-MXP, FCO and LHR (as well as LED domestically) and long-haul to JFK, and in J to LHR and JFK-SVO, amounting to a total of approximately 14 international segments (3 long-haul, 11 short-haul)

Airport issues [SVO] aside, short-haul I generally find SU in economy to be on a par with any other major European airline (and the food is IMHO better than BA short-haul), and in J to be superior to BA in comfort [real seat, like domestic F in the US] and personal attention and to OK in comfort. The service is particularly good if one is a non-Russian who speaks Russian. SU also distributes Digiplayers for individualized on-demand IFE, which is certainly an advantage over most of the short-haul competition.

Long-haul I have found SU to be adequate, which I think is closer to the OP's view. In Y I was pleased with the service and general comfort (compared to DL or AA transatlantic), but the flight was also only 2/3 full and the IFE was nonfunctioning. In J, SU's product is adequate; it lacks the polish of VS, BA or even AA, but I slept adequately in the seat (not quite lie-flat, though close), the food was inoffensive, the wine pleasant and the service attentive. I would have slept even better had the cabin temperature been turned down a few degrees and my reading light did not work properly. The personal Digiplayer provides AVOD.

Where SU suffers is ground service, whether at SVO or elsewhere. Without getting into details, if one has no special requirements/requests everything should be fine, and even if one does have special circumstances it will eventually be fine--but getting there can be a bit of an adventure (as is so much in Russia, but that is OT here). The lounge at SVO leaves a lot to be desired, but it is far preferable to the alternative (sleeping on the stairs). They also did bar smoking in the lounge sometime in the past 12-18 months, which is a major advantage.
Could not agree more. Except SU Business Intra European is WAYS ABOVE any other european airlines on the same routes. Better seats (2+2, leather, electronic), IFE (Digiplayers for flights ober 3 hours), excellent meals (3 choices in Business, great quality and quantity), attentive service. Coach is not fabulous, however, once again, better on Intra European then any other European airlines (hot FREE meals with two choices of main course), leather seats, brand new A319/320/321 aircraft for Itra European).

Transatlantic is also better then any US based airlines in Business (do the search), coach is the same, except IFE never works... Food is the same, drinks are the same, seats are the same.

Overall, old impressions of SU from people that never flew it recently dominate here on FT, hope it will change soon.

Last edited by asnovici; Jan 4, 2007 at 1:27 am
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by asnovici
Overall, old impressions of SU from people that never flew it recently dominate here on FT, hope it will change soon.
glad youre optimistic with them. others may have had other experiences there to keep the old impressions updated...
SU should improve their customer service (outside russia ok, inside - lots of negative feedback), and get more of those fancy things (the plane youve mentioned - too far from the majority).
yes not all completely hopeless, but long way to go.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:23 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
glad youre optimistic with them. others may have had other experiences there to keep the old impressions updated...
SU should improve their customer service (outside russia ok, inside - lots of negative feedback), and get more of those fancy things (the plane youve mentioned - too far from the majority).
yes not all completely hopeless, but long way to go.
As always, YMMV. To illustrate my point about brand new planes with "fancy things", here is the fleet numbers for SU as of August 2006:

A319/320/321: 24 (with 6 more arriving until the end of 2007)
B767-300ER: 11
Total: 35

IL-96 (while not the most economical from operational standpoint, they too have the amenities I mentioned in Business class, coach is another story): 6
TU-154M: (same amenities in Business as A319/320/321 family): 27 (being phased out)
TU-134: 11 (being phased out)

Given the above statistics I harldy would call it "too far from majority." In fact, the majority of planes SU currently operates does have all the amenities I mentioned, and that percentage is going up fast.

Ground service, however, is a whole another story, I agree they have long ways to go in that area. Service, amenities, and catering, however, are certainly superior to what US carriers or most of Europeans carriers are currently offering.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:37 am

Given the above statistics I harldy would call it "too far from majority." In fact, the majority of planes SU currently operates does have all the amenities I mentioned, and that percentage is going up fast.

Ground service, however, is a whole another story, I agree they have long ways to go in that area. Service, amenities, and catering, however, are certainly superior to what US carriers or most of Europeans carriers are currently offering.
alright you got me on the majority but what i meant was SU together with daughters Aeroflot Nord and Aeroflot Don (not sure are they the same code?) that i believe dont have the 'fancy' things and until very recently were not completely merged into SkyTeam (award booking possibility etc).

as for the ground services, well try to read this if you speak russian - http://www.avia.ru/forum/5/5/9507892...?topiccount=78
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:55 am

alright you got me on the majority but what i meant was SU together with daughters Aeroflot Nord and Aeroflot Don (not sure are they the same code?) that i believe dont have the 'fancy' things and until very recently were not completely merged into SkyTeam (award booking possibility etc).

as for the ground services, well try to read this if you speak russian - http://www.avia.ru/forum/5/5/9507892...?topiccount=78
Yep, I read that article as well. Pretty typical, I agree with you. Also it has to do with an overwhelming ignorance of most Russian passengers with regard to ticketing procedures (one can get the same sale prices through a travel agent without having to stand in lines).

What irks me the most about SU ground services is departure procedures at SVO on flights to the States. Business class doesn't have priority for security checks (after customs but before check-in), which results in effectively waiting in regular line for more than an hour easily. Unless one has enough guts/nerves to jump the line, its unacceptable. Also, "friendliness" of check-in ladies at SVO makes me want to use those self-service kiosks they introduced much more frequently.

Luckily I don't fly Aeroflot Don or Aeroflot Nord, but also heard less then pleasant stories about them. However, when it comes to mainline Aeroflot, I believe the in-flight (especially in premium cabin, but also in coach, IFE non-withstanding) is an extremely solid product exceeding competition in most cases.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:31 am

wow i actually am impressed with all their A319/320/321 being new according to this listing: http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.p...ine=SU&al_op=1, thats indeed a good sign! ^

you know its quite common for russian airlines to get second hand fleet (something with different image from the Tu planes and accepted at EU destinations) - just look at s7 http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.p...ne=SBI&al_op=1

OT: do you know any resource to check the age of the aircraft? just wondering about those 7 previously owned of their 11 767's.

Last edited by marsel; Jan 7, 2007 at 4:42 am
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:41 am

wow i actually am impressed with all their A319/320/321 being new according to this listing: http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.p...ine=SU&al_op=1, thats indeed a good sign! ^
you know its quite common for russian airlines to get heavily used second hand fleet just to have something which has different image from the Tu planes and accepted at EU destinations.

OT: do you know any resource to check the age of the aircraft? just wondering about those 7 previously owned of their 11 767's.
Check this out:

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Aeroflot.htm

Follow the link for Age, and then you can click on the number of each aircraft owned and get more details through search.

Old Jan 7, 2007, 5:10 am

Check this out:

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Aeroflot.htm

Follow the link for Age, and then you can click on the number of each aircraft owned and get more details through search.

thanks thats very interesting
Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: PC
My experience with Aeroflot is that it's very decent as long as things don't go wrong...if there are delays, baggage issues, etc. their ground staff is simply not up to par and hasn't improved much in the past 10 years. Hopefully with the long awaited opening of the new international and domestic terminals at SVO, things like the lounges, security checks & such will be much improved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.