Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot SVO airport one way upgrade at Check in ( Aeroflot Bonus) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone done this? And can report back on Experiences?

See
http://www.aeroflot.ru/cms/en/afl_bo...remium_upgrade

Do you ask when checking in or at the kiosk?

For 15,000 one way within Russia ( even to far of places within Europe), this seems very reasonable. Though this depends largely on availability, there are some routes that fill up, (i.e SVO-LHR) comes to mind.

Note : Since this is flyertalk, I would note that this is for Aeroflot Bonus members, not Delta Skypesos.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Has anyone done this? And can report back on Experiences?

See
http://www.aeroflot.ru/cms/en/afl_bo...remium_upgrade

Do you ask when checking in or at the kiosk?

For 15,000 one way within Russia ( even to far of places within Europe), this seems very reasonable. Though this depends largely on availability, there are some routes that fill up, (i.e SVO-LHR) comes to mind.

Note : Since this is flyertalk, I would note that this is for Aeroflot Bonus members, not Delta Skypesos.

Interesting you mention this. I'm sitting in the lounge at OVB headed to SVO and just saw the Aeroflot rep walk in and hand two Biz Class BPs to two gentleman sitting nearby. I get op up'd regularly on this route but have never seen new BPs handed out any earlier than scanning and boarding. I asked one of them how he got the upgrade and he said he asked at check in. They are both busy on their phones and we're about to board so I don't want to bother them about further details but this noted above seems to be how they upgraded.

I'm Gold on SU but bought my ticket through Delta and have noticed I've been treated this whole trip (JFK to SVO to SIP/DOK to SVO to OVB) slightly less elite than I normally am with tickets bought directly through SU. I will remember this for the future and don't remember ever noticing in the past. Thanks for the heads up.

If I get the chance to ask these two gentleman further questions I will and will report back.

Edited as this seems to be only available from SVO at the moment. Now I'm very curious why....literally the lady just walked in and gave me an upgraded seat as well. I asked why and she said, "you're Gold Elite. It is our pleasure."

So now I'm clueless. I'm guessing an Op Up as they are learning now to oversell economy class in favor of full flights and apparently more revenue.

Possibly I cleared later than the other two gentlemen due to a lower fare class or buying the ticket through Delta. Not sure I've help any of us with the OP's question but thank you for following my stream of consciousness upgrade adventure.

Last edited by woody125; Sep 16, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reason: From SVO only (for now) and she just came back and gave me a new BP too!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

When / where to ask.....

Can you ask when check in opens?
( thus increasing chances?) Hmm...

I'm guessing this does not work with on-line (web check in) as Aeroflot basically uses Sabre's portal.

BTW, You should know that Aeroflot hates Delta. And also AirFrance/KLM. But Delta especially. I would assume that having the ticket booked on Delta ticket stock complicates matters.

I considered banking some miles to Delta (and flying Delta) to perhaps diversify some of my flying, but now I don't bother. Aside from ( Skypesos = Worthless) unless you live in a Delta captive hub city (I don't) there is no point in flying Delta, especially if you hope to use Skyteam Elite + benefits on "partners" like Aeroflot.

Case in point - this was taken last week at SVO. I've been told that Delta SkyTeam elites + are now denied access to Aeroflot lounges (at least at SVO) due to a dispute regarding access payment. This also happened to Flying Blue members as well (last year?)

I was flying Business Class, so they let me in. I thought this was funny......

Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:26 pm

In Moscow now. Was not given invites to the lounge at OVB so just walked into the Jazz lounge with my boarding pass for DL 31 and my SU Bonus Gold card. She saw the ticket was on Delta and said, "I'm sorry. You cannot enter." I showed her my Diamond Medallion card and she smiled and let me in. Very subjective policy at best. I do have a killer smile though so maybe that was what got me in.

I qualify for Gold every year on SU for just the reason you mention above. SU treats their elites much better than STE+ folks and showing the Aeroflot card keeps any anti-Delta sentiment (which is very real as you pointed out) out of the conversation.

I sat beside one of the guys from the lounge on the flight to SVO. He said he knew the flight was oversold in the back (EF maybe?) so that is why he asked. I've started trying to buy tickets online before leaving my home and/or office for the airport for SU flights just to see if there's any availability. It's a decent indicator but obviously not always accurate.

Seems all 5 of us in OVB that were op up'd were indeed pushed forward to to the back being absolutely full.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

The guy could know someone who works for Aeroflot or perhaps PRIME pax?
I would assume aeroflot employees would have access to load information.

I've been on a few flights where I am literally the only Business Class passenger, and there is one other person in Business with me, but the cabin steward/stewardess hardly pays any attention to them [ while being very kind to me ] This is almost always on an A319/320. Ignored pax I assume would be non-rev Aeroflot.

I've never been on an empty A330. Those routes fill up.

Anyway, I'm going to try and ask on a worthwhile flight. It seems upgrade at check in ( for 15K miles) applies to routes, such as Moscow-Irkusk, Moscow-London, Moscow-Sochi, provided booked in allowed booking classes.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Bump to this old thread. Any updates WRT: STE+ privileges on SU; any paid upgrade options? TIA.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas
Bump to this old thread. Any updates WRT: STE+ privileges on SU; any paid upgrade options? TIA.
Me again. Just did SVO-KBP and VNO-SVO on SU. I'm down to Silver now on SU (will update profile soon) but was op upped on the SVO to KBP leg. I did not ask. They just said they were moving me up when I checked in for my flight at the counter.

Slightly OT but I saw and took advantage of $50 check in upgrade offers on UIA flights from KBP to LWO and back. Not sure what the back of the plane was like but the upgrade meant a seat between me and the guy next to me and a much better meal. No lounge access given though and baggage allowances remained for the fare class I purchased in.

I do wish SU offered something like this. Their domestic and intra-Europe Business Class is superior to any other European carrier by far. In cash strapped times it seems a way to generate some flow as well.

This is a good thread to keep fresh me thinks...
Old May 15, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woody125
Me again. Just did SVO-KBP and VNO-SVO on SU. I'm down to Silver now on SU (will update profile soon) but was op upped on the SVO to KBP leg. I did not ask. They just said they were moving me up when I checked in for my flight at the counter.

Slightly OT but I saw and took advantage of $50 check in upgrade offers on UIA flights from KBP to LWO and back. Not sure what the back of the plane was like but the upgrade meant a seat between me and the guy next to me and a much better meal. No lounge access given though and baggage allowances remained for the fare class I purchased in.

I do wish SU offered something like this. Their domestic and intra-Europe Business Class is superior to any other European carrier by far. In cash strapped times it seems a way to generate some flow as well.

This is a good thread to keep fresh me thinks...
UIA?

Queue the patriotic music + St. George stripes.

Lets get real : SU can barely process the upgrade at check in at stations outside of MOW. Allegedly, major stations like LED and OVB had this capability put in a few months back.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by meFIRST
Lets get real : SU can barely process the upgrade at check in at stations outside of MOW. Allegedly, major stations like LED and OVB had this capability put in a few months back.
If they have I've not seen it. UIA pulled it off flawlessly though.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So how does SU upgrade system work (aside from op-ups for SU elites?)

I booked LAX-SVO in comfort plus and according to
http://www.aeroflot.ru/cms/en/calculator_awards
I can do RT upgrade for 35K or OW upgrade for 17.5K - the rates seem very reasonable to me.

Not sure though if the latter is for check in only (and if yes if it's limited to SVO only) and what inventory needs to be available for either advanced or checkin upgrades.

Any comments or recent experience?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
I can do RT upgrade for 35K or OW upgrade for 17.5K
Return upgrade 35K => call in to get it. Also gets you lounge access and increased luggage allowance.

Check with Aeroflot Bonus first: their website states that one-way upgrades are only from Eco (Y, B, M, U, K, H, L) to Comfort class.

Don't trust the aeroflot websites. Much of the information is outdated, especially in non-Russian … cost me almost 7000 miles last year.

Last edited by hessbo; Apr 24, 2016 at 2:51 am Reason: Incorrect information.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked at check in both at lax and svo and apparently upgrades can be done at both but prob need to be there early - i came appr 1.5hr ahead of flight and business was already full according to them.
Comf plus to bus and eco to comf plus or bus can be done apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.