Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Russia-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot: think twice before you fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver

I have been threatened to be taken off the plane by Aeroflot representative in Washington, [name removed per TOS] after I have boarded the plane and taken my seat as per my boarding pass.

I arrived to IAD on time and checked in. Before boarding the plane I approached a gate agent, presented myself as a Skyteam frequent flyer, and asked whether they had exit row seats available, and she confirmed that they did, and reissued a new boarding pass. After everyone was seated, a woman with two other persons and a cat stormed into the plane, and demanded that I would move to another seat, because this was her seat and she paid some extra money to be seated there. I politely refused, and suggested, that she would ask an Aeroflot representative or a crew member for assistance. She went out and came back with the Aeroflot representative in IAD, [name removed per TOS]

As I understand what happened is that this company of 3 were late for check in and their seats were released, and one of those seats were assigned to me, so they had different seats on their boarding passes. I suggested to be moved to the business class, resolving the whole situation to both parties satisfaction, but [name removed per TOS] refused and said the following: “You will have to move to another seat or else I’ll have to take you off the plane”.

The whole conversation was conducted in Russian, and I am a Russian speaker, so there was no misunderstanding, that lady indeed threatened to take me off the plane, because I insisted on being seated as per my boarding pass, having some extra leg room. As I understood that party of three were some sort of acquaintances of [name removed per TOS], they refered to her in a very informal and casual matter. I am truly appalled by the way a passenger is treated as a piece of luggage, let alone being threatened by a company representative. If this can happen to an experienced frequent flyer, just imagine what an occasional customer might feel like in this situation. I have never experienced this level of humiliation. After being threatened by a company representative, I felt extremely insecure during the whole 9 hours intercontinental flight. This is my first flight with Aeroflot as a Delta Airlines Frequent traveler, and I am truly shocked by the level of incompetence, lack of social skills, and rudeness of the Washington Dulles Airport representative of Aeroflot. I have a returning flight in two weeks and just a thought of having to face that level of “service” is making me shiver.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 11, 2011 at 5:18 am
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wow. Sorry to hear that. That being said, I never hear of Aeroflot having stellar service anyway. Since I'm a OW Emerald, I'll never step foot on an Aeroflot aircraft.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
To summarise: You were given a seat change, the previous assigned passenger turned up and caused a ruckus, and you weren't given a business class seat in order to move. Why do I suspect the last part is what's more upsetting than anything else.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Talking

If the employee took care of her buddies before you, that's wrong and maybe Aeroflot will fire her or maybe not. But, the carrier can move you at will for good reasons or bad and you aren't due anything for it so long as the carrier transported you from A to B as it did.

Nice try asking for the UG, but again, no obligation on the carrier's part to do so.

This sentence may be the only time you see the words "Aeroflot" and "customer service" in the same sentence.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
I spent my childhood on SU and saw many similar stories and many happened to me

i don t expect anything from this airline except for A-Z - staff is usually rude and impolite

that s why i decided long time ago to stop flying them as soon as I only could.

i m very sorry to hear what happened to you.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
i am shocked and appalled. Actually no not really. The GA has final say on the seat assignments. If she wanted you moved, she can do that. Was this good customer service, no. The best thing you can do is file a complaint with SU and the US DOT, but I don't think much will come it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver
What did you expect?

Like you, i'm an FF and know the in's and out's of making your flight as comfortable as possible.

I've only been to Russia once, but, I knew going into it to expect NOTHING from anyone. My hosts were more than hospitable, but, random, service people, FORGET ABOUT IT. And this didn't have anything to do with me being American. They are rude to each other.

I would predict that any follow-up on your incident would be a waste of your time.

Also, I would recommend that you try to get on DL metal (or anything other than SU).

Happy Flying
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
I find terrifying the service you got onboard SU even if it may happen they ask you to change seat.
The problem, however, is how the personnel handle (or not) such situations.
Unfortunately I have to admit that SU personnel, as it often happens in Russia to Russian people too, do not know at all the meaning of words like "service" and "customer". That's why I stopped flying SU.
Fly to Russia with other majors from ST like AF, AZ or the smaller but very comfortable OK. Otherwise prefer SK or MA: I found less busy planes to Russia and more accurate personnel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.