Wiki Posts
Search

Room-type guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Room-type guarantee

So booking on points, I looked into a hotel that didn't seem to offer the points rate for rooms with two double beds. I called the MR line and inquired. They contacted the hotel and the hotel agreed to book the room on points with two double beds. My confirmation email specified this when I received it and it appeared in my online account up until the morning of check-in. I looked about 10am and the room type had changed to a king/queen room. Since I was checking in at 4pm I contacted the hotel through the "Rooms controller".

The RC insisted that "My request for a double room" could not be honored as they had a number of bookings recently that specifically booked that room.
I said that I also had a confirmed booking, but the line that came back was "your request can unfortunately not be honored".
I went back and forth a couple of times saying how the booking was a double-bed room until the morning of check-in and the martially modified line was, "Your request for an "upgrade" can't be honored, sorry."
After a few more back and forths, the RC acquiesced saying she would grant me this special upgrade. So all of the sudden the room was available. I wasn't really looking for any favors as a MR Plat, just the room I had booked months prior and was in my reservation. Sharing a bed was not really an option.

So if you book on points a double room that months prior wasn't available and MR books it for you (with confirmation email indicating room type) is that not a valid booking? The RC seemed very sure of this.

In any event, it made for an unpleasant arrival day for a vacation booking thanks to RC.
Thanks, V
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Since this focuses specifically on elite benefits at an RC, moving to the RC forum.
voweffekt likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I checked the elite benefits T&Cs (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi) and from there it looks like there is no bed/room guarantee for elites at RCs.

With that said, beyond the elite guarantees, if you made a reservation and it states that you are guaranteed a specific room/bed type, then I would do as you did and push the issue. They should honor what they agreed to. But I will say that from your description of the situation background, it sounds like this RC generally treats rooms with 2 beds differently (probably charge more.) And as such someone noticed that and realized that maybe they shouldn't have agreed to this reservation. So they unilaterally changed it (not a nice thing to do after the fact.)

What RC is this stay at? I wouldn't mind checking the various rates they have for some of their different room types. But at the end of the day, at least you did get the room type you reserved and wanted. ^
voweffekt likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:13 am

I also checked the elite benefits T&Cs and it really looks like there is no bed/room guarantee(((

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.