Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz NOLA Club worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, SPG
Ritz NOLA Club worth it?

Will be staying 2 nights at the Ritz in New Orleans on rewards points and the concierge offered club upgrade for $200/day. Is this even worth it? I've only been to the Ritz in SF and even that club upgrade was only $150. Anyone been on the club level at this hotel? Am I better off just spending that money at outside restaurants? I do want to splurge since it's my birthday but if the food quality is substandard. Thank you all.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
I stayed at NOLA club level in Aug 2016 for my wife's birthday and ut was amazing. I used my free certificate from credit card to upgrade.

Club level accomodations in this location are definitely a step above compared to Battery park, Pentagon city etc. The food is very good at the club and if they let you stay in the club level room I would say its worth it, if not no.

NOLA has very good food options around and you would be definitely missing if you choose to eat all your food at the club.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:51 am

In that town there are so many good foodie options - I'd spend my $200 outside the club
controller1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
To some people, an extra $200 is nothing--they are not concerned about the value proposition but just having access to the best experiences. They might eat one breakfast in the lounge or have the concierge make them one dinner reservation, and consider it money well-spent.

I think that more people, though, look at a club upgrade charge and at least CONSIDER the value they're going to get for the cost. As anejo said, NoLa has lots of great, local food options. I assume you picked that city for your birthday blowout because you wanted to experience the city, not just a nice hotel. I'm certain the club lounge there puts out great eats and offers decent unlimited alcohol. Per the OP's original question, the food in the lounge will certainly not be "substandard", but it may not be particularly local or gourmet. If you're okay spending time in the club lounge and not out in the city, then the value could still definitely be there. Heck, if you think you and a friend might take enough advantage of the complimentary alcohol in the lounge to get "lubed up" before hitting the town, it could definitely be worth it there, too.

This is all a long way of saying that the value of a club upgrade fee is in the eye of the beholder.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:33 am

The Club in New Orleans is basically a separate hotel within a hotel. It has been consolidated with the Ritz at this point, but there are still signs for the private entrance and the rear elevators if you prefer.

The Club is very good. Rooms are much nicer and more recently renovated/refreshed. The Club concierges and attendants are really good and on top of their game. There is a 24-hour self-serve area that has packaged snacks, jars of candy and cookies, coffee, teas, soft drinks, and a beer fridge - I don't remember if they lock the beer fridge after a certain hour at night, but it's stocked with 10-12 local and larger market beers. Lot of Abita. The lounge itself can get crowded, especially at breakfast. They do a buffet setup with scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage, potatoes, and then various cereals, fruits, yogurt and cold cuts, etc. Lunch is a soup of the day, a pasta, wraps or sandwiches, and various salads. Dinner is appetizers and then they do a large desert setup. Cocktails are available throughout the day, they have a large walk-in with chilled martini glasses, etc. in the back and they'll make you whatever you like with a decent selection of top shelf liquor. A dozen or so wines available by the self-serve glass including sparkling wine.

I think that it's right on the verge of being worth $200/night for two people - breakfast from room service will be ~$100/day and the bar downstairs is really nice. Jeremy Davenport puts on a good show on the weekends in the bar area while the Club lounge is quiet in the evenings. The lunch and mid-afternoon snack is fine if you want something in house, but I prefer to walk over to Mr. B's or Galatoire's. On the other hand, it's almost a wash between breakfast and 1-2 cocktails/person.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by juuceman
. . .

Jeremy Davenport puts on a good show on the weekends in the bar area while the Club lounge is quiet in the evenings.

. . .
He also puts on a good show on Wednesday and Thursday each week from 5:30 - 9:00 p.m.
juuceman likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by juuceman
The Club in New Orleans is basically a separate hotel within a hotel. It has been consolidated with the Ritz at this point, but there are still signs for the private entrance and the rear elevators if you prefer.

The Club is very good. Rooms are much nicer and more recently renovated/refreshed. The Club concierges and attendants are really good and on top of their game. There is a 24-hour self-serve area that has packaged snacks, jars of candy and cookies, coffee, teas, soft drinks, and a beer fridge - I don't remember if they lock the beer fridge after a certain hour at night, but it's stocked with 10-12 local and larger market beers. Lot of Abita. The lounge itself can get crowded, especially at breakfast. They do a buffet setup with scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage, potatoes, and then various cereals, fruits, yogurt and cold cuts, etc. Lunch is a soup of the day, a pasta, wraps or sandwiches, and various salads. Dinner is appetizers and then they do a large desert setup. Cocktails are available throughout the day, they have a large walk-in with chilled martini glasses, etc. in the back and they'll make you whatever you like with a decent selection of top shelf liquor. A dozen or so wines available by the self-serve glass including sparkling wine.

I think that it's right on the verge of being worth $200/night for two people - breakfast from room service will be ~$100/day and the bar downstairs is really nice. Jeremy Davenport puts on a good show on the weekends in the bar area while the Club lounge is quiet in the evenings. The lunch and mid-afternoon snack is fine if you want something in house, but I prefer to walk over to Mr. B's or Galatoire's. On the other hand, it's almost a wash between breakfast and 1-2 cocktails/person.
I would second everything above. This is probably the nicest Club I've been too, and the food offerings are top notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.