Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Global Promotion Launches June 4, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bworrell
Has anyone been able to sign up online yet? I can't....
I got an error online, sent an email yesterday, and received an emailed confirmation of enrollment.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:45 pm

My inquiry resulted in this response:

The following are the parameters of the Promotion.

Enrollment Dates

- June 4, 2014 – September 30, 2014

Earning Dates

- July 1, 2014 – October 31, 2014

Promotion Offer

-Must be a Ritz-Carlton Rewards Member to participate in promotion

**If previously a Marriott Rewards member must have switched to Ritz-Carlton Rewards as of June 4, 2014 to be eligible for offer

Members must earn Loyalty Reward points for promotion participation

Member must stay at participating Ritz-Carlton Hotels to meet promotion requirements
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being a brand new member (not a switchover) or an existing RCR member when the promotion starts has been a requirement of all the RCR seasonal promotions. They seem to specifically want to eliminate promotion hoppers who would switch back and forth between the two prgrams based solely on the current promotions.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
They offered this same promotion last year, but there was no language in the T&C stating it was targeted. This time around, my wife received an email for it, I did not. She's a gold with zero nights this year and I have already re qualified for platinum...maybe that's why I wasn't included? Are they just sending this out to people who haven't stayed with marriott/RC very much this year?

Highly disappointed. I'll try calling and see if they will manually register me, with my current stays booked I'm only 3 nights away from the full 100k points.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They seem to specifically want to eliminate promotion hoppers who would switch back and forth between the two prgrams based solely on the current promotions.
Since there don't seem to be many downsides for RC members because RC members can generally participate in the MR promos, being an RC member seems to be the best bet for a lot of folks.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Called the number about signing up but got denied because I was a MR member instead of a RCR member. Ended up switching (not that it helped with this promotion) because I stay at RC all the time for work rather than Marriotts anyway. :P Hopefully, I'll catch the next one!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
They seem to specifically want to eliminate promotion hoppers who would switch back and forth between the two prgrams based solely on the current promotions.
Since there don't seem to be many downsides for RC members because RC members can generally participate in the MR promos, being an RC member seems to be the best bet for a lot of folks.
I was told that RCR members cannot participate in Megabonus, etc. Does someone have direct experience otherwise?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:24 pm

I also could not register for this promotion online (said I was not eligible), so I wrote a quick email to RC Guest Services to check on this.

Got a reply back two days later to confirm my registration in the promo, but also noted that I was eligible to accumulate a maximum of ONE free night (not two nights, as stated in the T&C of the promo on the website).

So, is there more than one version of this promo where eligible members earn either a maximum of one or two free nights?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told that RCR members cannot participate in Megabonus, etc. Does someone have direct experience otherwise?
I participated in megabonus as an RC member. I earned my certs with no trouble.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum; Hyatt diamond;
Their logic is like, if you like Marriott better, then Ritz Carlton will not welcome you. And vice versa. Is it just stupid that they create two frequent guest systems then fight with each other? As for the promotion hoppers, if they can't register the promotion, they can register other promo from Hyatt, SPG, HH, etc...Preventing them from registering the offer won't bring Ritz Carlton more profits.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by angelsun
Preventing them from registering the offer won't bring Ritz Carlton more profits.
Maybe, maybe not, but it will probably inhibit people from "double dipping" between the promos for each.

But I really don't even think that is the main reason they limit sign-ups. I would guess that it is easier on Marriott's IT department this way (and they don't want to tax them much more than they already are.)

And I really don't think that Marriott sees much of an overlap between the two market segments. This is why it took Marriott so long just in bring RC into the Rewards program at all. Thus while there may be a very few people who might get agitated due to not being able to move at will between the two and sign-up for any promos across either one, I'd guess Marriott thinks that number is fewer than the RC focused market may increase their stay's at an RC.

Now whether they are right or not, I can't really say.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100

Last year, as a MR member, I was able to register for this promotion. However, I did not register for the concurrent MR promotion. This year, the promotions came out separately (many get auto-registered for the MR promo which came out first) which may be why there an eligibility issue. However, I called in and was registered by phone.

I find having the two programs silly. I guess technically IHG has two programs, but they are completely seamless to the guest. No exclusive promos, just enhanced benefits if you want to pay for it. Why wouldn't they WANT to encourage guests to upgrade to their luxury properties? Having distinctions in the programs inhibit that. I'm too close to LTP to change to RC.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have a paid stay at an RC in August. If I am successful in getting enrolled would it count towards both promotions? (I am skeptical I will be successful but worth a shot)
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe RC doesn't especially want folks who usually stay in Marriotts? Could they not be classy enough or maybe have cooties?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many who stay at Marriotts for business travel have the means and desire to stay at Ritz gor leisure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.