Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blacklane tipping (USA, Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Blacklane tipping (USA, Canada)

I am a big fan of Blacklane for airport transfers. They are often competitive with other car services, booking is simple, and the service is usually quite good.
I'm perplexed by tipping.
The Blackline website is unequivocal that tipping is not required.
But this is America, where tipping is expected everywhere.
I was just in a Blacklane in Los Angeles, and the driver had about ten signs advertising all of the different means one could use to tip him.

I'm about to go to Canada, and I don't have any Canadian currency (yet). Am I expected to find an ATM at the airport in Canada, withdraw cash (while the driver is presumably watching), just so I can offer a tip?

I want to be courteous, respectful, but there are mixed messages between drivers and Blacklane. It's sort of like when Uber started. They said that you did not need to tip, but it was expected, and you you absolutely had to tip in cash, otherwise you were a terrible person.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I tipped in Bangkok, but not in Budapest. I haven't really seen a lot of pressure to tip, I guess it depends upon the country. If I don't have Canadian dollars and want to tip (anywhere), I usually just use US dollars.

But I agree that tipping isn't really part of the deal. Especially since there isn't a way to put it on the bill on the App. (yet)
Old Sep 15, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Tips in US dollars to a privately arranged driver, in Canada, are always welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.