Ordering Uber for someone else

Old Sep 22, 22, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Ordering Uber for someone else

My mom arrives into DTW tomorrow night at 7. She was supposed to get in at 4 but her flight was cancelled and this is her new one. Needless to say I was going to pick her up at 4 but now I canít at 7. Can I order an Uber or Lyft for her? If so is it easy to find? She arrives on AA at the north terminal.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:35 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Yes, you can. I haven't done so in a year or so, but on Uber, select ride and then change the drop down at the top from For me to someone else.. You'll have to Add a Rider and it'll bring up your contacts (or request permission to view). Then just select her and follow the prompts. I think you have to put a ballpark time and place in there. It will send her a text/SMS with a link to complete her end of things and coordinate pick up. It charges to your card on file. I used to use it for employees all the time when hotel airport shuttles were suspended due to COVID.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXPax View Post
Yes, you can. I haven't done so in a year or so, but on Uber, select ride and then change the drop down at the top from For me to someone else.. You'll have to Add a Rider and it'll bring up your contacts (or request permission to view). Then just select her and follow the prompts. I think you have to put a ballpark time and place in there. It will send her a text/SMS with a link to complete her end of things and coordinate pick up. It charges to your card on file. I used to use it for employees all the time when hotel airport shuttles were suspended due to COVID.
Thanks, good info. Of course my mom' s phone number is a UK phone so I don't see Uber sending her texts (?) . It's an iphone so maybe that makes a difference. I can always put my number down instead and act as a relay for information. What would you do?
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You probably would have to be acting as intermediary, communicating between U/L and your mom. Perhaps notify driver that the pick up is for your mom, and advise driver what is her outfit or code needed. To your mom, let her know what type of car, license # and driver name. Make sure to tell her that once she is out, to go to the designated ride share pick up. Some airport have a separate area for rideshare, taxi and regular passenger pick up. Last thing you want is she goes to the wrong area, and driver will be looking for her on the designated rideshare area.
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:43 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thanks, good info. Of course my mom' s phone number is a UK phone so I don't see Uber sending her texts (?) . It's an iphone so maybe that makes a difference. I can always put my number down instead and act as a relay for information. What would you do?
See if it will take the UK number. I did so once for a Swedish number, but that was about two years ago.

arollins in reply has a good idea. The only issue I could foresee is that it does then try to use your mom's location. But I think talking with the driver will make it fine. You may just need to override the warnings that pop up saying you aren't near the pick-up point.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m not familiar with DTW’s Uber pickup area.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I see the functionality on Uber to change to my mom. Pretty straight forward. I don’t see plan ahead and schedule for tomorrow. Lyft has this feature however they don’t have add another rider. Go figure. I’ll just order it tomorrow when she lands.
JAXPax and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

it didn't work. She ended up taking a taxi to where she needed to go.
Auto Enthusiast and PanAmSam like this.

Search this Thread