Drivers can now see who tips within the app?

Old Feb 24, 20, 3:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PHL
Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Posts: 1,999
Drivers can now see who tips within the app?

I had two drivers today who texted “<Driver name> thanked you for your tip”

Both times it was right after trip ended and before the credit card processed the tip. I had input a tip amount along with a rating before I got out of the car.

Wonder if this is automatic whenever a rider selects a tip (ie positive reinforcement from Uber itself), or if the driver can see I left a tip and if so how much. Can’t tell if the messages are auto generated or I oddly had 2/2 decide to text me today? And if they see a tip was left whether this was before or after they rated me? Never received a similar text previously, even from my regular drivers.
Segments is offline  
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:11 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,219
Drivers always now which trips generate a tip, as we receive a notification from UBER, as well as there is a notation on drivers log as well. However, a few months ago or so, UBER did something new by adding a link to the tip notification that a driver receives, that allows driver to thank the rider.

The next big step that UBER will do is to provide a link to your thank you notification that allows you say YOU ARE WELCOME. LOL

By all means, thanks for tipping, as a driver myself it is very kind of you.

Last edited by arollins; Feb 24, 20 at 7:00 pm
arollins is online now  
Old Mar 6, 20, 5:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH, Avis PP
Posts: 2
That is interesting because Uber tells me that the drivers do not know who tips or the ratings given. I always tip and found that some drivers expect it even though it is not required. I learned to tell the driver at end of trip and even offer to show on app that I gave them good rating and the tip amount. I have found that this improves the rating they leave you.

I know Uber tries to protect the rating you leave them and I understand the reason since the driver can come back to you for a bad rating. It should be allowed for the rider to see the driver rating left for you because the possibility of getting the driver again is slim to none.
WoodstockJim is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by WoodstockJim View Post
That is interesting because Uber tells me that the drivers do not know who tips or the ratings given. I always tip and found that some drivers expect it even though it is not required. I learned to tell the driver at end of trip and even offer to show on app that I gave them good rating and the tip amount. I have found that this improves the rating they leave you.

I know Uber tries to protect the rating you leave them and I understand the reason since the driver can come back to you for a bad rating. It should be allowed for the rider to see the driver rating left for you because the possibility of getting the driver again is slim to none.
Uber has made it extremely difficult for drivers to change passenger rating after the trip
egpowers is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:32 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,400
Originally Posted by WoodstockJim View Post
It should be allowed for the rider to see the driver rating left for you because the possibility of getting the driver again is slim to none.
what would you do with that information?
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Posts: 2,239
The sequence is important. If the driver knows that there was no tip and rates the rider low for no other reason, I would like to know before rating the driver.
obscure2k likes this.
xooz is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:43 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,219
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
The sequence is important. If the driver knows that there was no tip and rates the rider low for no other reason, I would like to know before rating the driver.
This is the sequence of events, once ride is finished, driver has to swipe to indicate end of ride and MUST rate IMMEDIATELY, in order to continue on the platform and get other riders. This will occur way before any tip notification appears for the driver, thus, we are not allowed to downgrade a rate.

As an FYI, if I where to get a nickel everytime I hear " I'll tip you in the app" I'll be a millionaire.
arollins is online now  
Old Mar 17, 20, 7:52 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Posts: 13,213
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
This is the sequence of events, once ride is finished, driver has to swipe to indicate end of ride and MUST rate IMMEDIATELY, in order to continue on the platform and get other riders. This will occur way before any tip notification appears for the driver, thus, we are not allowed to downgrade a rate.

As an FYI, if I where to get a nickel everytime I hear " I'll tip you in the app" I'll be a millionaire.
That's why I always tip the driver in cash and have it out for them to see right as they are pulling up to end the right. I know someone that drives for Uber and said when someone tells him they are going to tip in the app more often than not they never do. I want to make sure my rating remains high and also make sure the driver isn't 1099'd on the tip and that I"m sure he is getting it and Uber doesn't mess up.
arollins and obscure2k like this.
jamesteroh is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:21 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,219
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
That's why I always tip the driver in cash and have it out for them to see right as they are pulling up to end the right. I know someone that drives for Uber and said when someone tells him they are going to tip in the app more often than not they never do. I want to make sure my rating remains high and also make sure the driver isn't 1099'd on the tip and that I"m sure he is getting it and Uber doesn't mess up.
Thanks for the cash tip and your thinking on the 1099. Cash tips comes in handy.
jamesteroh and Bogwoppit like this.
arollins is online now  
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:09 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
That's why I always tip the driver in cash and have it out for them to see right as they are pulling up to end the right. I know someone that drives for Uber and said when someone tells him they are going to tip in the app more often than not they never do. I want to make sure my rating remains high and also make sure the driver isn't 1099'd on the tip and that I"m sure he is getting it and Uber doesn't mess up.
So, the expectation is that we should supplement folks with tips as a routine thing AND we should encourage avoiding tax laws as well? I paid tax on all my income for decades. Unless the transaction itself is in cash I always tip on my CC as part of payment. If there are issues as to how that is distributed by the management, that should be for the employees and management to hash out.
xooz is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:46 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,400
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
So, the expectation is that we should supplement folks with tips as a routine thing AND we should encourage avoiding tax laws as well?
no, quit whining. if you don't want to tip, don't.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,400
me telling someone else that I tip doesn't obligate you to do so
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 1:48 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,400
(but yes, you should tip.)
jamesteroh and arollins like this.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:45 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
no, quit whining. if you don't want to tip, don't.
Unnecessary advice, but thanks for the counseling.
xooz is offline  
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:35 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1,400
You asked. How is it "unnecessary"?
WillBarrett_68 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: