Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Fast Match" at Portland ( PDX)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
"Fast Match" at Portland ( PDX)

I haven't experienced it, but I read about the way PDX is handling Lyft (probably Uber) like a taxi rank. What are users' thoughts?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:31 pm

It works great. I just returned from a trip to Portland and had a wonderful experience with it. Both Uber and Lyft have lines that are staffed by personnel (with ropes along the lines to keep things orderly). Just get into a line (or you could even switch if one looks faster) and then when you get to the front, walk up to the next available car and give the driver your code. The process was so much easier and faster than anything I have seen at other airports (which really can make the Uber/Lyft experience miserable at pick up at least).

Also, from what the driver told me, it was much better on their end too. The drivers are kept in a holding area near the airport, which has a coffee shop, restrooms, etc. When a plane lands, they release about 30 of them to come right over. So, there's not much of a wait for either party.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
How do you verify the car & driver are legit before getting in the vehicle? Been drilled into us to verify license plate, confirm driver against photo, etc.

Do you open the pax door, tell the driver your code (or I guess driver steps out to help with luggage)? Then wait for the car to be assigned after the driver enters your code? Then have driver wait to open trunk so you can confirm license plate? Seems awfully complicated and/or less safe than traditional pick up process.

Have had a couple of times drivers show up in cars with different license plates, different make/model of vehicle or looking very different from their photo. So guess I see this approach as creating higher liabilities for Uber & Lyft.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
This is actually a great idea. I have been to a number of airports with a terrible pickup experience due to the setup and I think this would eliminate a lot of problems.
Not sure how this would work with drivers who don't like the destination. Do they type in the pin, say no I don't want to go there, cancel and then have to go around and get in line again?
@Segments, I guess it would depend on the airport. Ideally the airport setup would only allow Uber drivers into the Uber queue, Lyft drivers into the Lyft queue, etc or have a restricted area that checks IDs of some sort. I know some airports have them pick up in a specific area of a parking garage or lane that could be controlled. Other airports have pickups in the normal lanes where drivers just pick people up by a certain door. If there is someone at the front assisting then it seems they could verify in some way. I honestly am not sure how big of an issue this is at airports or in general versus a CYA liability thing for them. As you mention this could take on additional liability, though once in the car you would see the driver didn't match. I guess they could do the reverse, once you get to the front after you have requested, the driver gives you a pin to enter and you can verify the car/driver before getting in, but that would be a bit more complex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.