Search

Kindly rate my service.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Kindly rate my service.

Currently sitting in the back seat of a Lyft on the 405.

This brings back memories of the girl at MB Plano.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

I've seen these. Tacky yes, otherwise low on the list of nuisances:
(1) touching a used Kleenex when closing the door
(2) extremely cold AC
(3) blaring music
(4) open windows
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
I've seen these. Tacky yes, otherwise low on the list of nuisances:
(1) touching a used Kleenex when closing the door
(2) extremely cold AC
(3) blaring music
(4) open windows
(5) university of phx grads
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Providing information, context, and expectations is usually a good thing. At least to most people.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Providing information, context, and expectations is usually a good thing. At least to most people.
I disagree strongly. Either you and I have very different ways of assessing good and bad, or you're willfully prejudiced in the driver's favor.

Info that music and chargers are available = good.
Info that drivers could be deactivated = bad. This isn't the passenger's responsibility and the only purpose of sharing this info is to compel the passenger by guilt into a higher rating than what may otherwise be given.
Info about tips = bad, especially now that tips are in app. Groveling isn't socially acceptable.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I disagree strongly. Either you and I have very different ways of assessing good and bad, or you're willfully prejudiced in the driver's favor.

Info that music and chargers are available = good.
Info that drivers could be deactivated = bad. This isn't the passenger's responsibility and the only purpose of sharing this info is to compel the passenger by guilt into a higher rating than what may otherwise be given.
Info about tips = bad, especially now that tips are in app. Groveling isn't socially acceptable.
I happen to disagree as well. I don't need to be told if I don't score anything but a great experience I'm screwed just ticks me off.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I take Uber and Lyft a lot

There are places that make the signs for drivers or they can order them off of eBay etc. It’s often in experienced or subpar drivers who put them up thinking it will enhance the passenger’s experience.
The one piece that’s true, that I might say a bit differently if I had a sign like that as a driver, is that people don’t realize sometimes that four stars is not a B+ - four stars is almost failing. I didn’t know that when I started using Uber many years ago. I figured five was excellent – A+ and four was good but not fabulous. Unfortunately that’s not how Uber works – I wouldn’t accept a ride from a 4.0 driver!

That said, I think there’s better ways to let passengers know about the rating system.
arollins likes this.

Last edited by squeakr; Jul 23, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:06 pm

well, if you read threads here there are plenty of people who just give a 3 as a standard rating and reserve 4 and 5 for "OUT OF THIS WORLD SERVICE" or dumb stuff like that. So some people DO need the education.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:10 pm

(2) extremely cold AC
most people would have negative comments if the car isn't cold enough. Do you ever get pushback when you ask for a temperature adjustment? I would literally never consider factoring in the temperature of the car when I get in as this could be simply a reflection of the driver meeting the previous passenger's preference (and there's literally no way he can know my preference ahead of time).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
most people would have negative comments if the car isn't cold enough. Do you ever get pushback when you ask for a temperature adjustment? I would literally never consider factoring in the temperature of the car when I get in as this could be simply a reflection of the driver meeting the previous passenger's preference (and there's literally no way he can know my preference ahead of time).
The driver knows your temperature preference in advance if you use UberBlack. I agree though that that temperature is never a factor in my rating.

Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Segments
The driver knows your temperature preference in advance if you use UberBlack.
Or Uber Comfort.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is only fair that the passengers actually know how the rating system functions. If, for example, you knew nothing about how wine ratings worked, and you saw things with 70s, you'd think "above average," when in reality, the way the ratings are skewed, it is often swill that should be tossed. When I'm given a survey and an excellent product "met my expectations" (i.e., 3 out of 5 stars, according to the survey), it didn't "exceed my expectations" so it isn't worthy of 4 or 5 stars according to definition. But since I know that a driver will face repercussion for what would ordinarily seem like an average or good rating (3 or 4), I just default to 5, unless there's a material defect in the ride, such as safety or a pig sty. I'd rather have the driver try and make a living than out of work.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I drive for Uber part time, and I also use their services as a rider as well. I have not encountered any of this signs, but personally I find them tacky as well. There is no need for me to be told about music, charger, temperature, rating, tipping etc. Most rides tend to be rather, 10 minutes or so, that oftentimes it really does not have much of a chance for much, however, on longer rides or airport pick ups, I verbally mention that I have charger cable available, ask about the temperature, and if there is a music preference. I greet you as you get in, verify name and address to make and continue to your destination. Most riders are quiet and I wont bother talking, but if you ask me question, I will have a conversation with you.

The rating system is very one sided, 5 is perfect, everything else is failure, and yes, we can certainly be de-activated for low ratings. In my market, we are not allowed to see passenger ratings, but in the markets where you can, drivers tend to be selective with a low rated rider, as that means that they can be problematic riders and you do not want to deal with that. For some drivers, rideshare is their job and main source of income, hence they try to avoid problems.

As far as tipping, I certainly do appreciate it, either in the app, or a cash tip. Keep in mind that drivers are paying for all vehicle expenses and maintenance. Also, keep in mind that drivers do not get the lions share of the fee you pay to Uber/Lyft/ Via/etc. Sometimes we get a lot less than half of it.

Uber takes is almost 80%!!!!!
steve64 and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by arollins; Jul 18, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.