Uber now kicks riders off the platform for "low" ratings

Old May 29, 19, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Uber now kicks riders off the platform for "low" ratings

Source

I'm surprised Uber isn't already doing this. 4.6 is pretty high of a bar, though, which probably means that most riders are probably going to be rated 5/5 unless there's a serious issue. Thoughts?

EDIT: 4.6 is for driver ratings. The rating which riders will be kicked off isn't mentioned but supposedly "only a few" will be affected. I guess it'll depend on how inflated the current rider ratings are.
Old May 30, 19, 9:16 am

The best way to ensure a good rating from your drivers is to behave well and tip. This is Uberís way of trying to get passengers to tip more. Their way of increasing drivers pay without increasing their fares, something that would look good to their investors.
Restaurants usually donít ban customers for not tipping but if you donít tip at a restaurant you frequent, you can expect your food to arrive late, cold, and spit in.
Uber is implicitly dangling a threat that a customer could get banned for not tipping enough, without actually saying so directly
Landing Gear likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
The best way to ensure a good rating from your drivers is to behave well and tip. This is Uberís way of trying to get passengers to tip more.
They rate you before you tip through the app
Old May 30, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
The best way to ensure a good rating from your drivers is to behave well and tip. This is Uberís way of trying to get passengers to tip more. Their way of increasing drivers pay without increasing their fares, something that would look good to their investors.
Restaurants usually donít ban customers for not tipping but if you donít tip at a restaurant you frequent, you can expect your food to arrive late, cold, and spit in.
Uber is implicitly dangling a threat that a customer could get banned for not tipping enough, without actually saying so directly
You have this all wrong, as soon as the driver drops you off, he must rate you immediately in order to close out the ride and move on to the next one. Drivers do not know immediately that a particular rider gave a tip. Also, they can not go back change the ratings. You have no idea how much $ a driver makes, when sometimes Uber takes more than 50% of the fare, same with surge, the rider may get charge a much higher surge, and the driver none or a bare minimal.
steve64 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 1:03 pm

Some Uber drivers are expecting a sizable cash tip on completion of the drive. This way, they get to keep all of the money rather than having Uber take their cut if it is made through the Uber app via the credit card on file. I have read posts on Reddit from several Uber drivers saying to the effect of "if I don't receive a cash tip, I will only rate the passenger a maximum of 4 stars".

What gets to me is that Uber will only release your average passenger score. They refuse to release your individual ride ratings, citing privacy issues.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 3:17 pm

In theory it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who the problem raters are. If someone routinely and habitually rates riders (or drivers) below what others rate them, their ratings should be skewed or ignored.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 7, 19, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought they can go back and change ratings?
​​​​​​
When I mentioned that I had earned a couple of low ratings that I felt were unfair to a veteran driver, he told me that he had heard some drivers will not give 5 stars for what they consider to be too short a trip. In other words, you're doomed as soon as you set foot in their car.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The lowest I saw in my one year of driving (2016-2017) was a rider with a 4.1. She dropped a pin over a mile from where she was, I called her to ask her if the address was correct (closed business) and she was drunk and had to hand the phone to someone else at the bar who gave me the address. She deserved every point of her low rating.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 1:09 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I thought they can go back and change ratings?
​​​​​​
When I mentioned that I had earned a couple of low ratings that I felt were unfair to a veteran driver, he told me that he had heard some drivers will not give 5 stars for what they consider to be too short a trip. In other words, you're doomed as soon as you set foot in their car.
They used to be able to, but apparently not anymore.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Was unfair they could wait and if no tip posted within a day or so they could downrate from spite.
Old Jun 18, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Hilton Diamond (Aspire) - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
The lowest I saw in my one year of driving (2016-2017) was a rider with a 4.1. She dropped a pin over a mile from where she was, I called her to ask her if the address was correct (closed business) and she was drunk and had to hand the phone to someone else at the bar who gave me the address. She deserved every point of her low rating.
I found out the worst person that I actually have to deal with had a 4.12 Uber rating. It certainly vindicated my opinion of her character.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:25 am

The best way to ensure a good rating from your drivers is to behave well and tip...
I have taken to offering a tip to the driver in cash upon exiting the vehicle. I always travel with at least 100 single USD bills for that express purpose. Seems to do the trick, esp. if the theory of short drives garnering low ratings is valid.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
I have taken to offering a tip to the driver in cash upon exiting the vehicle. I always travel with at least 100 single USD bills for that express purpose.
Yeah, SUUURE thatís what the bills are for - Uber drivers, riiiiiight.
flyme2 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Hilton Diamond (Aspire) - Hertz PC
I cannot imagine carrying a hundred bills everywhere and especially when travleing. I get annoyed enough about the thickness of even my slimline wallets and having to carry any cash at all.
cestmoi123 and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY
Originally Posted by flyme2 View Post
I have taken to offering a tip to the driver in cash upon exiting the vehicle. I always travel with at least 100 single USD bills for that express purpose. Seems to do the trick, esp. if the theory of short drives garnering low ratings is valid.
BS is all I can say!

Search this Thread