Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Correlation between driver rating and quality

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Correlation between driver rating and quality

Is it just me or has this correlation strengthened?

For years I've been accustomed to a weak relationship between a driver's star rating and their actual quality. Of course Uber removes poorly rated drivers so this weak correlation shouldn't be a surprise. Lately, however, I've noticed, riding UberX primarily in San Francisco and New York City, a near-deterministic mapping:
  • 4.95 stars and up: smooth ride in a new, clean, comfortable car with a very friendly driver
  • 4.90-4.94 stars: friendly driver in a car that is inferior (e.g., smaller or older) but still meets UberX standards
  • 4.80-4.89 stars: friendly enough driver in a good enough car
  • 4.70-4.79 stars: near certainty of a flaw that significantly affects comfort on the ride:
    • aggressive driving
    • loud music
    • extreme air conditioning
    • strong odor
    • rolling down the window
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:29 am

I've noticed lots of drivers who like to have the windows down, but I've never had any pushback when asking them to roll them up, and I can't imagine deducting a star or considering that a "flaw". (obviously if they refused to roll the window up that would be a different story)

ditto for music, I've never had any pushback when asking for music turned down/off.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Is it just me or has this correlation strengthened?

For years I've been accustomed to a weak relationship between a driver's star rating and their actual quality. Of course Uber removes poorly rated drivers so this weak correlation shouldn't be a surprise. Lately, however, I've noticed, riding UberX primarily in San Francisco and New York City, a near-deterministic mapping:
  • 4.95 stars and up: smooth ride in a new, clean, comfortable car with a very friendly driver
  • 4.90-4.94 stars: friendly driver in a car that is inferior (e.g., smaller or older) but still meets UberX standards
  • 4.80-4.89 stars: friendly enough driver in a good enough car
  • 4.70-4.79 stars: near certainty of a flaw that significantly affects comfort on the ride:
    • aggressive driving
    • loud music
    • extreme air conditioning
    • strong odor
    • rolling down the window
Are you using a minimum number of trips for the drivers? Otherwise, seems hard to believe one can discern between a 4.96 and a 4.94.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mosaic. AA Gold, National EE, Avis PC
Given the post history, it may be just that the poster is trying to stir discussion, more than a concrete observation.

Or, as the quote goes, if you run into one bad driver, you ran into a bad driver.. if you run into bad drivers every time, you may be the problem, not them.

Personally, I notice no significant difference in those ranges.

Last edited by bemis; Apr 8, 2019 at 7:57 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My 4.90 driver yesterday did not understand that if there's a ROAD CLOSED AHEAD sign, it is probably not a good idea to take that road, and then he froze at the point of "you can't drive through this way." He also came very close to taking me down the wrong freeway at the 80/580/880 split.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It really depends on where you're riding.

In Boston, the higher rated Lyft drivers tend to be the worst (maybe they're newer?) and Lyft's ratings are meaningless since I've had some pretty bad drivers with a 4.9 rating, and also some really bad drivers with a 4.3 rating. Uber's ratings are mostly accurate across the board.

In Miami, ALL drivers have pretty low ratings on both Uber and Lyft, but I've actually never had any issues with these low rated drivers (except for one). Maybe people rate them low because they're all-business and not friendly/chatty?

Last edited by diburning; Apr 26, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old May 4, 2019, 12:56 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Above 4.8 the car has always been clean, but other than that I haven't seen much of a consistent difference. I've had great drivers in older cars and 'meh' drivers in new cars.

I'll try to look out for any correlation on this going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.