Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Express Pool

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Uber Express Pool

Saved quite a bit by agreeing to walk across the street to their "designated" pick up spot. Combined with a current targeted $4 per ride credit, the net fare to go a couple of miles was under a dollar

Old May 18, 2018, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is fine with the $4 credit, but that is a $5 fare for what is essentially a small bus. Looking at the price comparison, the difference between Pool and EP isn't sufficient to make up for what Uber says is 2 blocks on either end, but may actually wind up being more. Especially in lousy weather.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I checked a short trip just a while ago for comparison, and the Express rate was still significantly lower, even setting aside the $4 credit.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:05 am

I have used Express Pool quite a bit in San Francisco, here are my comments.

Pickups are challenging. The Uber app might say, "walk to NW corner of XXX and YYY street." But the driver may end up approaching the SE corner. Or the entire intersection will be clogged with traffic and have no place for a car to pull over.

Dropoffs are confusing. You won't know where the driver is actually taking you, because the dropoff location may change as co-riders are added. You just have to wait for the driver to tell you when it's time to get out of the car, and then you're on your own to your actual destination.

Savings are trivial for short trips. A 2-3 mile ride from SOMA to Hayes Valley just now was $5 Express, $6 Pool.

Savings may be substantial for long trips, but is your destination walkable? I often see SF to South Bay on the order of $20 Express, $30 Pool, $40 UberX. But beware that suburbs can be impractical to navigate on foot. I had a co-rider who would have had to cross a highway and walk uphill to a gated community after his Express Pool dropoff. Our driver took pity on him and drove to his front door.

Even a short walk could be hazardous. In many areas, 1 city block is all it takes to separate safety from danger. I once called Uber Express Pool from a luxury apartment late at night and saw, "walk to 6th & Mission." Cancel, cancel, cancel!
Miami305 and Often1 like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by davie355
I have used Express Pool quite a bit in San Francisco, here are my comments....

Even a short walk could be hazardous. In many areas, 1 city block is all it takes to separate safety from danger. I once called Uber Express Pool from a luxury apartment late at night and saw, "walk to 6th & Mission." Culture, Culture, Culture!"
I've taken the liberty to edit the quote for more accuracy

I've used Express Pool on a number of occasions, mostly in Oakland/Berkeley, and a few times in SF. A few days ago, the rate difference on a ride to SF was over $5. The driver came to my house (which was the pickup point). That said, I've had to walk several blocks and have experienced the same "wrong direction, wrong corner" situations.

My biggest complaint Express is (1) wait times to find a car are longer, and (2) other riders using Express don't know how it works, and get upset when they aren't dropped off at their intended destination. But overall, if I'm in no rush and don't mind walking a few blocks, it is fine for me
Old May 19, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The App is not "intelligent" and treats 2 blocks as 2 blocks, even if there are barriers or other reasons which could cause you to walk 6 blocks and miss your pickup. Either the technology is improved or this will be another former service.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had a pickup point designated yesterday that looked OK on the map, as the crow flies. However, it required crossing a busy street, where the nearest lights/crosswalk added several extra blocks walking and waiting time.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:05 pm

Interesting Express Pool experience today in San Francisco - dropoff order changed mid-ride.

I'm picked up in the Lower Haight, going to Rincon Hill. There's already another rider, and the Uber app indicates he will be dropped off first - in North Beach. Whaat?!

Many SF roads are closed today for a marathon. The driver ignores Uber navigation and takes his own route up Market Street. Somewhere around Montgomery, I hear a chime and the driver's app announcing a route change. I open the Uber app on my phone and it now says I'll be dropped off first. The driver makes a right turn and I'm out shortly thereafter.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:08 pm

Pretty long walk from Express dropoff to my destination today. Seedy streets, too. (This is San Francisco.)

Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I think it's a neat concept personally, and if there are bugs I expect they'll work them out.

I was in New York last fall and using UberX, it would direct me to a particular corner, which makes sense given the one-way streets. In that particular case the driver seemed to be wandering around though and we wound up meeting him on a different corner.

The one time I used Pool Express I was parking in a residential neighborhood and going to the airport. I had to walk one block, but there was nothing significant about that particular corner. I wonder if they would have made multiple passengers offload at the same terminal, since as you go through you just go A-B-C-D-E in a straight line.

I saved a buck or two, which I added to the tip.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:25 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I wish the regular UberX (not shared) had an Express option to save me time - even if it cost the same.

As for Express Pool - it's better than a Muni bus (no crazy people), and often faster too.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
I wish the regular UberX (not shared) had an Express option to save me time - even if it cost the same.
It does. App will recommend, after requesting your ride, "change your pickup to (nearby location) to arrive X minutes faster"
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:34 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by davie355
It does. App will recommend, after requesting your ride, "change your pickup to (nearby location) to arrive X minutes faster"
Interesting. I've never seen that! Is that a standard feature, or is it some sort of split-test that I'm not a part of?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
Interesting. I've never seen that! Is that a standard feature, or is it some sort of split-test that I'm not a part of?
Lyft does it all the time in NYC with one-way streets north/south and east/west. You always have the option to deny it. Which is good when getting picked up from the Doctors with a broken foot.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Xlr
You can always move the pin to get picked up at a location that makes more sense from a traffic/routing perspective, if you want. Of course, you have to be familiar enough with where you are and where you're going to know what makes the most sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.