Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft
Reload this Page >

I'm so fed up with Uber for charging more than the agreed upon price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I'm so fed up with Uber.

The fact that I even TAKE screenshots should tell you how often this happens to me.

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm so fed up with Uber.

The fact that I even TAKE screenshots should tell you how often this happens to me.

https://twitter.com/s_kennedy/status...290123264?s=19
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Well there's no uber to use in YVR so you won't have to deal with it here! The cabs here are worse :/
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Wow that's brutal, I never have actually checked receipts and quoted price and I will do so moving forward... ouch
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:33 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by knotseh
Well there's no uber to use in YVR so you won't have to deal with it here! The cabs here are worse :/
You mean drivers who don't know where anything is, driving vehicles of questionable cleanliness and safety, picking up PAX at the airport? Arriving at YVR and getting a cab home is the one part of every trip that I actually dread.

Even with all of it's bad corporate behavior, the odd criminal driver and (apparently) overcharging, I can't wait for Uber / Lyft to start up in Vancouver.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
You mean drivers who don't know where anything is, driving vehicles of questionable cleanliness and safety, picking up PAX at the airport? Arriving at YVR and getting a cab home is the one part of every trip that I actually dread.

Even with all of it's bad corporate behavior, the odd criminal driver and (apparently) overcharging, I can't wait for Uber / Lyft to start up in Vancouver.
​​​​​​Totally. I agree with you on all fronts. I thankfully have friends and family that usually pick me up at YVR but the few times I've taken a cab it's always been a horrible experience.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note that these posts have been relocated from the Air Canada forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I'm so fed up with Uber.

https://twitter.com/s_kennedy/status...290123264?s=19
I’ve never thought to check this either but will also be doing so going forward. Have you had luck getting reimbursed the difference?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Uber customer support will give you the runaround saying that you changed the destination, or that "we've reviewed your trip and found that the fare is within the calculated cost for the distance traveled"

Usually Uber will claim that you changed the destination (and "recalculate" a higher fare) if the driver drops the passenger off across the street from the destination, or if the GPS drifts to make it appear that way.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman

I’ve never thought to check this either but will also be doing so going forward. Have you had luck getting reimbursed the difference?
Originally Posted by diburning
Uber customer support will give you the runaround saying that you changed the destination, or that "we've reviewed your trip and found that the fare is within the calculated cost for the distance traveled"

Usually Uber will claim that you changed the destination (and "recalculate" a higher fare) if the driver drops the passenger off across the street from the destination, or if the GPS drifts to make it appear that way.
I've actually never had an issue getting the difference refunded. However, I'm fed up. What's the proper regulatory body to complain to in the US? FTC?

If this happened once or twice, I'd let it slide as a glitch. But I don't think they've ever charged me less than quoted. It happens a lot, and it's always to charge me more. I shouldn't have to request a refund every 10th ride. Or forget to request one. Or not realize I should request one. They should be prosecuted for this. I'm about 99% sure it's illegal to quote X and charge X+k, where k > 0.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:33 pm

I'm about 99% sure it's illegal to quote X and charge X+k, where k > 0.
Happened on my last Uber trip. The k was attributed to a "facility fee" (I was getting dropped off at the San Francisco Caltrain station).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I've actually never had an issue getting the difference refunded. However, I'm fed up. What's the proper regulatory body to complain to in the US? FTC?

If this happened once or twice, I'd let it slide as a glitch. But I don't think they've ever charged me less than quoted. It happens a lot, and it's always to charge me more. I shouldn't have to request a refund every 10th ride. Or forget to request one. Or not realize I should request one. They should be prosecuted for this. I'm about 99% sure it's illegal to quote X and charge X+k, where k > 0.
Why not take your business to Lyft? I’ve mostly moved all of my business to them unless Uber is running a deal of some kind.
diburning likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
Why not take your business to Lyft? I’ve mostly moved all of my business to them unless Uber is running a deal of some kind.
Because Lyft isn't always cheaper.

But believe me, I do check both before requesting a car.

Also, I was not very impressed with Lyft's service (my first ride charged me about $15 more than quoted, and their response was "you don't know how Lyft works" - long story, I can type it up some other time, but I do know how Lyft works).
Whowouldanewman likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm willing to spend the extra buck or two to ensure that I'm not getting screwed by a dishonest company. Lyft's customer service actually has improved over time. Lyft gets 99% of my business now, and I like earning those Delta miles for taking Lyft rides, and double dipping on airport rides (3x on Delta plus a flat 30 points on JetBlue) Miles/points from both programs do not expire at all.

The only time I ever take Uber is if they have a substantial promo or if Lyft is in some very bad Prime Time and Uber is not surging.
Whowouldanewman likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My UBER ride yesterday ended up over $1 less than the quote. 90%+ of the time, my quote and my fare are exact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.