Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber's 'Pickup Points'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Uber's 'Pickup Points'

We recently returned from an enjoyable six days in Lima, Peru, where we made great use of Uber on no fewer than eight trips.

We experienced suggested pickup points for the first time in our limited Uber experinces over the past few years on two of our rides.

We tried to follow the map on the app to walk away from, for example, an exit to El Circuito Mágico del Agua del Parque de la Reserva on our final evening.

It took us an extra 30 minutes. We ended up on one side of a street, then crossed the street, then returned to the original location. Finally a driver picked us up.

Fortunately it wasn't a great inconvenience but we found it challenging trying to end up in the right spot. There must be a better way of handling it.

Suggestions please?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:24 pm

AFAIK the pick-up point is merely a suggestion (unless you request a pool ride) which you are welcome to accept or decline. Sounds like their mapping didn’t work out quite well in your case ... as typically it would be a few min walk at best to meet your driver.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
AFAIK the pick-up point is merely a suggestion (unless you request a pool ride) which you are welcome to accept or decline. Sounds like their mapping didn’t work out quite well in your case ... as typically it would be a few min walk at best to meet your driver.
Thanks. ^

The exit we used at this park was congested and full of taxis. While I can see the sense of moving away from that to make it easier both for the Uber driver and rider, the instructions confused me.

I forget to mention that, in the example I used, the instructions were to "go to Pickup Point 6," which seems fairly specific. I couldn't find it (or Points 1-5) on the map. We did follow the directional arrows to get to what was an approximately correct spot for a pickup, but I have no idea if that was the right spot, or if we walked a lot farther than we had to.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I find them to be more that just suggestions. Possibly its operator error (me) but in a lot of cases its nearly impossible to move the pick-up point.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fredd
I forget to mention that, in the example I used, the instructions were to "go to Pickup Point 6," which seems fairly specific. I couldn't find it (or Points 1-5) on the map. We did follow the directional arrows to get to what was an approximately correct spot for a pickup, but I have no idea if that was the right spot, or if we walked a lot farther than we had to.
That's how I move to a a pick up point. Keep walking until the two dots line up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.