Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping option coming to Uber

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used it in New York last week, it's nice having as an option for good drivers and I'm glad you don't tip until later so there's no begging or hard feelings if you don't tip. It is odd that it shows up as a separate charge on your CC though.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I used it in New York last week, it's nice having as an option for good drivers and I'm glad you don't tip until later so there's no begging or hard feelings if you don't tip. It is odd that it shows up as a separate charge on your CC though.
Does your ride receipt show the tip in a way that makes it easy to print/screenshot and show the ride total as a single line?

Lyft does it that way. Makes it easy for expense reports. Separate line-items would look a little weird...

Last edited by pinniped; Jul 21, 2017 at 1:26 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:14 am

I would be curious about the Uber invoice experience if anyone has insight. I primarily use Lyft when traveling for work because of how easy it is to expense. Lyft seems to have problems with limited numbers of drivers though.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I just got an email announcing that in-app tipping is available everywhere now, and that Uber will "match" all tips tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:42 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I took uber for the first time in a few weeks yesterday. Tipping option added. But ... fares had gone from what I remember on equal trips a few months back.

My lifetime total tips for uber drivers remains $0.

Last edited by TBD; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by TBD
^^^
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by TBD
Originally Posted by kb9522
^^^
I'm not sure why either of you are boasting about not tipping your Uber driver.

Do it or don't, you're both adults. But to be proud of the fact that you don't tip members of the service industry is just tacky.

(insert generic response about how Uber drivers agreed to drive at the current rates, tips were part of Uber's platform etc.)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:47 pm
TBD

Originally Posted by Miami305

Do it or don't, you're both adults. But to be proud of the fact that you don't tip members of the service industry is just tacky.

(insert generic response about how Uber drivers agreed to drive at the current rates, tips were part of Uber's platform etc.)
Well ... this is an entire thread about tipping .... and you're part of it .... so teapot/kettle/etc.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

I spent some time perusing an Uber drivers forum, and found out a few things.

Only about 10% of riders tipped prior to this new in-app tipping.

Drivers have to rate riders before they can end a trip, so don't see in-app tips till later. However, drivers can go back later and change their rating of a rider, though it is a bit of a PITA, so not many do it.

Only a relatively small percentage of riders rate the drivers. The driver rating is, however, very important to the drivers, since if they fall below 4.6 out of 5 stars, they are fired ("deactivated"), so even getting consistently half four star and half five star ratings means they're gone, and that doesn't even factor in the occasional DYKWIA who gives them one star for whatever random reason. And we know from reading FT it's the ones complaining about tiny problems who can often be the loudest, most vindictive jerks.

So, even if you don't want to tip, if you had a good ride, try to give the driver a five star rating so he can continue to work.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jul 20, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by TBD
Well ... this is an entire thread about tipping .... and you're part of it .... so teapot/kettle/etc.
I said boasting. Not posting a message. There is a difference.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:44 am
TBD

I said boasting. Not posting a message. There is a difference.
Being pushy about views in a way that may be viewed as tacky? Seems like the same in this particular case, but thanks for contributing!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

I don't detect *pride* in those posts. It is telling, however, that you find it tacky that they haven't tipped even in an environment where that was not an option.

I won't insert a generic response, but I will say this: Uber drivers, until this week, have chosen to drive on a platform that didn't include tipping.

Now tipping is there (yay for you, right?), and riders can decide how to use it or whether some subset of them want to begin comparison-shopping with Lyft.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Only a relatively small percentage of riders rate the drivers.
I thought the app forced you to rate your last ride before booking your next one. Is there a way around that?

I failed to rate (and failed to tip) one Lyft ride...only reason it happened was because I was flying out from the airport and didn't open the app again until days later. I felt bad, wrote Lyft a quick note saying the guy was a 5-star and if there's a way I'd happily tip him, but never heard back. I hope a "no rating" doesn't hurt the driver...

But other than a few of these "last ride in a city" exceptions, it seems like most riders would rate their driver, right?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by pinniped
I thought the app forced you to rate your last ride before booking your next one. Is there a way around that?

I failed to rate (and failed to tip) one Lyft ride...only reason it happened was because I was flying out from the airport and didn't open the app again until days later. I felt bad, wrote Lyft a quick note saying the guy was a 5-star and if there's a way I'd happily tip him, but never heard back. I hope a "no rating" doesn't hurt the driver...

But other than a few of these "last ride in a city" exceptions, it seems like most riders would rate their driver, right?
It's possible that this was a misperception by the drivers, or maybe they don't realize it if the rider rates them a few days later, but if so it is a common misperception.

What seems unfair to me is that Uber gives the broad 5 star rating scale without informing riders that a 4 star rating is essentially telling the company the driver is bad enough he shouldn't be retained. A 4.6 overall rating gets them fired.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:47 pm

Agreed. In the Lyft app, it even says a 5-star ride is an "Awesome Lyft!" To many people, a basic ride from the airport to their hotel usually isn't awesome, and that's totally okay. They'd give it a 3 meaning no harm whatsoever to their driver.

I know to give everything a 5 (assuming nothing was wrong with the ride) only because I've read a few threads about it here and elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.