Taking Uber interstate

Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Taking Uber interstate

Has anyone taken an Uber interstate?

For example from Silver Spring MD to PHL airport?

Uber is quoting around $200 with UberX, $350 with UberXL and $600 with Uber Black. Journey is quoted around 2 - 3h (Google maps)

At those prices for two people, it seem logical to take an Uber rather than a flight. Any premium pays off through convenience.

Has anyone has tried this? Do Uber drivers decline such fares?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:44 am

Why not take Amtrak? Take the Red Line to Union Station, then hop on a NE Regional. Shouldn't be more than $30 each.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:45 pm

I've spoken to Uber drivers who have done 2-3 hour rides before, but I think most drivers would refuse it, as it's difficult to get fares coming back the other direction (I believe the driver app has some ability for the driver to specify the direction (s)he wants to go, but I don't know if a Maryland driver would be able to pick up rides in Pennsylvania) and Uber's pricing is so low now that the driver could easily end up losing money if (s)he has to return empty.

If you do it, I'd immediately call your driver when you're matched to tell him/her your plan and offer to cancel if (s)he doesn't want to do it, so you aren't hurting his/her acceptance rate by forcing him/her to cancel. My guess is if you give it a few tries, you'll eventually get somebody willing to do it.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've done many (short) interstate rides. There doesn't seem to be any issue with it.

Long trips, regardless of whether they cross state lines, are probably their own topic.

$200 for 4 hours of driving (R/T) should still be profitable for the driver. The obvious question is whether that's *more* profitable than 4 hours of local fares where he drives far fewer miles but also might have to sit and wait for a fare, travel to get fares, etc. I would think some drivers would happily take the $200 fare, even coming back empty.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I take Uber from Palm Beach to Miami (intercounty if not interstate), a distance of 75 miles. Super convenient if taking an international flight with luggage. It's about $100.

In the recent past, this distance would cost $200 minimum with a taxi or a black car service. There is also a train (TriRail) at about $10 per person, but it makes multiple stops and you still need a car on the Palm Beach end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.