Wiki Posts
Search

UberPool and Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Be careful.

While Pool may not take you a great distance out of the way, for each passenger it will take you some distance and that can add up. Usually it will not matter. But, if you hit it wrong, it can mean winding up miles out of the way.

It can amount to 50-75% savings, but is a poor choice if you have a schedule to keep.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I've used Uberpool once in SF after a night of going out. Will never do this again.
I was the first person in and then we picked one normal person. But then the driver was trying to find this very intoxicated and belligerent girl who then berated the driver for not going to her side of the street when he couldn't because of the street signs.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:19 pm

I only have experiences in Chicago and Washington DC, but every time I've used UberPOOL or Lyft Line, I have been the only passenger.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Do you ride during rush hour? The only times when I've been the only passenger were when I've requested rides outside of the morning or evening rush.

I usually don't request UberPool or LyftLine when commuting just in case it gets me to work late. I'd rather shell our $12 instead of $6 if it means getting from point A to point B, but I request pool/line when I'm not in a hurry.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Sorry, but I feel strongly that the first, original passenger, who is being a bit inconvenienced by having the additional ones added, should get priority over keeping their bags. I ran into a situation recently where we had to pick up two additional passengers, each of whom had a bag, in addition to the one I had in the trunk. Had all 3 bags not fit in the trunk, I would have insisted that they sit in the back together with a bag between them.
I had a lyft line experience recently, where the minute we cleared Washington airport headed for the District, the driver's GPS unit pointed him back toward the airport again to pick up the other person. He was more annoyed by it than I was.
Today, I lucked out with a lyft line all to myself. Spent most of the time learning about the driver's experiences as a Fulbright scholar in India.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no rule about luggage, so how you feel really does not count for much. It is not only a shared ride service, but Pool / Line are shared vehicle services in the instant. It takes some accomodation, but there is nothing to be done other than hop out and call another car if you have an unacceptable experience.

For what it is worth, both Uber & Lyft issue credits for these sorts of complaints without too much trouble, but you are stuck somewhere waiting for another car to come along.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:57 pm

Exclamation I will think twice before using UberPool again

I've taken UberPool several times, but my last experience served as a lesson not to gamble with this option anymore.
I've had perfect rides from Airport CDG to downtown Paris, 36€ instead of 45€, only passenger. Best case scenario.
I've had the average scenario, but expectable and acceptable. Two other passengers added themselves. They got dropped off first. It added 20 to 25 minutes to my commute...for 9€, not worth it but to be expected/accepted.

Then there was today’s ride. Uber took 5-10 minutes to reach me, then waited for 2 other passengers for another 5 minutes. Dropped them off first, adding 25 minutes to my ride….then went to pick up a mother and child to drop them off elsewhere!! Then proceeded to complete my ride, (I told him that if he stopped for someone else I’d like to be dropped off at a taxi stop…maybe that is why he took no one else. The driver was nice, and I still gave him 5 stars and a tip). But I was not aware that UberPool was a random public bus,… it means that as long as it has people along the route, with a destination somewhat along the route, they’ll keep taking them. It took me 2 hours instead of 50 minutes, to save 9€!? Also, I was really lucky it was a Sunday, with no traffic whatsoever. Imagine Paris with traffic. I learned my lesson. UberPool is for short rides, or if you absolutely have no hurry and are really broke. It’s sweet deal for the driver and Uber, but a gamble for the client.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The driver doesn't get to choose whether more people are added to the ride, or the order of dropoff. This is all done by Uber. It's not a sweet deal for the driver either. The driver makes an inconsequentially small amount more than a regular ride, and Uber pockets the difference. You took it out on the driver because you didn't read the policies for Uber Pool or do any basic reading into how it works.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by bagybachi
But I was not aware that UberPool was a random public bus,… it means that as long as it has people along the route, with a destination somewhat along the route, they’ll keep taking them.
Um, that's exactly what UberPool is (also LyftLine, Via, Chariot, etc.). I completely agree that UberPool can be fine for a short ride when you're not in a hurry. I usually use it as a substitute for public transit when there isn't a good public transit link between points A and B and they aren't too far apart. But I don't recommend it for airport rides unless you really can't afford those extra few dollars or you're in a gambling mood.

But at least they now do fixed fares!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had an Uber Pool ride recently, where the driver was perhaps six blocks away when he accepted my request, pretty much one turn and a straight shot, couple of minutes before he should appear. Well ... no ... another passenger a couple of blocks away from me requested within a minute after I did. My neighborhood is rather a warren of one way streets, so picking her up added another few minutes to the trip. I've run into the issue with Pool that sometimes a second request comes through at a specific Amazon location between here and my destination downtown, where there's often construction-related backlogs, so we sit for a bit just short of their pickup spot, and have to joggle around the area afterwards rather than directly ahead.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Only use Pool if you are not in a hurry, are flexible with time and do not mind sharing the ride with another person. Remember that with Pool, the driver is given the most pedestrian route in order to maximize pick up opportunities for other rides, it may not necessarily mean it I t will be the most direct/fastest route. As for luggage, Pool is sharing, so you also have to share your luggage space as well with others.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by themicah
The Uber FAQ says you can bring luggage on UberPool rides but should leave enough room for another passenger.

So if your luggage is likely to fill the whole trunk, taking UberPool isn't a great idea. But if you have just one or two bags, then it's probably fine.
I once took an uberpool and the girl passenger had taken up the entire trunk space. Have a little respect for the other guests in the car and do not do this please!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I once was 30 seconds away from missing a flight due to a terrible UberPool experience. Don't ever take it *to* the airport. (The driver drove me around for an hour in rush hour traffic in San Francisco, looking for the match. I was about an hour late to the airport.)
DARWINISM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.