FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1723067-watch-out-driver-initiated-cancellation-fees.html)

Bonehead May 8, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 31079466)
I witnessed some fraud today. I needed a ride from the Hyatt Place ATL South to downtown. I went for an Uber first but when I saw it would take 11 minutes for the driver to get there I switched to Lyft. A Lyft driver was there in a minute. I got in the car and saw he had the Uber app up with the same Tyler on the screen. I said I must not be his ride as I'm Charles and he said I was. He kept the Uber app up for a while until the rider cancelled and he got the $4.50 fee. Sadly I don't think there's any way I can report this.

One could argue that Uber and Lyft drivers have to make their money somehow and shenanigans like this are a way to make ends meet...there's a reason for today's work stoppages. Blame the ridiculously low pay and not necessarily the drivers when things like this happen.

I know, I know...they signed up knowing the deal. Well, could it be that the companies didn't tell them the whole story?

CMK10 May 8, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 31080511)
One could argue that Uber and Lyft drivers have to make their money somehow and shenanigans like this are a way to make ends meet...there's a reason for today's work stoppages. Blame the ridiculously low pay and not necessarily the drivers when things like this happen.

I know, I know...they signed up knowing the deal. Well, could it be that the companies didn't tell them the whole story?

No company tells you the whole story. When I went to work for Enterprise Rent-a-Car they told me it was a fun job where I'd drive cool cars and hang out with other freshly out of college people. It wasn't until the third day of training that I found out your entire career was pegged to selling the insurance. It wouldn't have been an excuse to start committing fraud.

I used to drive for Uber, at no time was I told I would make a lot of money. I don't think anyone is told that. What you're doing is rationalizing why it's okay to steal.

davie355 May 8, 2019 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 31081007)
It wasn't until the third day of training that I found out your entire career was pegged to selling the insurance.

Enterprise must be very happy with me then. I always add supplemental liability insurance as I (a) don't have my own auto insurance and (b) suck at driving.

Boraxo May 8, 2019 6:55 pm

Reminds me of ebay - was great when it started, but over time the product denigrated as it shifted from consumer driven product (i.e. online garage sale by and for consumers) to Chinese sellers of worthless crap.

Uber/lyft started with a great concept - replace taxis with a better product for consumers - but now only concerned about trying to make a profit rather than fairly compensating service providers or providing a good product to consumers.

Just one anecdote but when I visited DC a year ago I used lyft/uber almost exclusively and was pleased with the service. On my trip last month I used taxis exclusively and was very happy with the service and price. Uber/lyft are heavily dependent on 5 metro areas which will make them vulnerable when better options emerge.

davie355 May 8, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 31081494)
On my trip last month I used taxis exclusively and was very happy with the service and price. Uber/lyft are heavily dependent on 5 metro areas which will make them vulnerable when better options emerge.

My last UberX from lower Manhattan to EWR airport was so expensive, I could've used a formal black car service like Dial7 for the same price even after tip.

But I'll still use Uber. The convenience cannot be beat. One app worldwide.

Service has definitely declined over the years, but remains acceptable.

joe_miami May 8, 2019 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 31080511)

You can't be serious.

diburning May 9, 2019 1:00 am

Don't bother. Uber doesn't care. Lyft does, or at least they claim to.

Brighton Line May 9, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 31079466)
I witnessed some fraud today. I needed a ride from the Hyatt Place ATL South to downtown. I went for an Uber first but when I saw it would take 11 minutes for the driver to get there I switched to Lyft. A Lyft driver was there in a minute. I got in the car and saw he had the Uber app up with the same Tyler on the screen. I said I must not be his ride as I'm Charles and he said I was. He kept the Uber app up for a while until the rider cancelled and he got the $4.50 fee. Sadly I don't think there's any way I can report this.

Had a driver with three phones and all three services running, Lyft Uber and Juno actively looking for his next ride before the end of mine. Don't know if he accepted more than one or not and we were still 5 or more minutes out from my destination depending on traffic lights it could have been almost 10.

Boraxo May 9, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31082291)
Don't bother. Uber doesn't care. Lyft does, or at least they claim to.

Neither do I. If I am assigned a drive that is >5 minutes away, I cancel immediately and try the other service. I don't have time to waste because the algorhythm decides not to assign the closest driver or a farther one snags it.

Bonehead May 9, 2019 11:58 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31081844)
You can't be serious.

Maybe I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to prod folks into realizing that Uber/Lyft are seriously screwing their drivers, and that such shenanigans are a symptom of that.

joe_miami May 9, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 31083990)
Maybe I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to prod folks into realizing that Uber/Lyft are seriously screwing their drivers, and that such shenanigans are a symptom of that.

If drivers aren’t happy, they should do something else. Scamming passengers is wrong.

acarney May 10, 2019 1:42 am

This has bugged me for so long. Everyone .....ing about how Uber is the big bad guy and customers should focus on that. Uber is bad, they wanna make boat loads of money and that’s all. As a customer though it’s not really my job to try and get Uber to change. As a customer my goal should be the best service for the lowest price. If they aren’t providing that I probably should go somewhere else. The people agreeing to the crap terms that Uber has (the drivers) should be the ones pushing back because they should be focused on the best job that pays the highest. It’s supply and demand. There is an excessive supply of drivers for the demand, that’s what you get when it basically is a job that always hires everyone. Now yes, you can swing the sad song about the drivers need the money because xyz, but the thing is, there are employees in a bunch of crappy jobs. I think a lot of people would be furious if they found out they were being double charged at a restaurant and then found out the employee was just pulling the cash out of the drawer and pocketing it, because they have low pay.

Stop driving for Uber. If everyone .....ing about low pay stops, then Uber will have to do something to bring drivers back, OR, they’ll have to convince customers it’s worth waiting 25 minutes or something for a ride to show up.

ijgordon May 10, 2019 7:59 am

Interesting that this thread popped up (I haven't followed this forum until recently). I was just in Las Vegas, going from the Waldorf to the Airport and requested an Uber. ETA was 5 minutes, the driver was just up the Strip, dropping someone off at Aria and then heading to me. I should have realized that it's not particularly easy to get from the Aria porte cochere down to the Waldorf valet (I think you have to go out on the strip, and then hang a sharp right into the back entrance). GPS wasn't sending me a reliable signal of the driver's position either. I called the driver after it looked like he passed by on the "upper roadway" out of the complex (probably 8-10 minutes after the request), told him I was waiting at the Waldoft, and he mumbled something like "oh, no, this is crazy". Then he cancelled me, and I got an alert about Uber charging me a cancellation fee! I was furious! (mostly at Uber). But I guess I know now this is "a thing."

(At that point we just tried to go with a taxi, but those are few and far between at the W-A as they don't seem to queue there, so we just had what I presume was the house car (an Escalade) take us for $25, 2x the Uber price.

Of course it seems that anytime you dispute a cancellation fee, they automatically credit it back to your Uber Cash, but I wanted to really complain, and the only way I could find on the app to do it was through the "problem with a service animal" form. :D I demanded they pay ME a $5 cancellation fee, and of course the response was "we don't do that." :rolleyes:
Then I was going to fight for a refund of the fee to my credit card (as opposed to an account credit), but then I realized I was going to pay for the ride with excess Uber Cash anyway and so my CC wasn't actually charged.

In any event, while I don't think I've ever had an issue with a "scamming" driver (I think this one was reasonably frustrated about how to get to the pickup area, though he probably shouldn't have selected "charge customer cancellation fee"), I do have problems with pickup locations ALL the time. I attribute it to drivers not paying attention to their app (they seem to just go to the pin, and don't actually read the address or location name, and the pin can sometimes be off). As a result, I *rarely* use Uber, especially in New York. I'll use it in other cities where there isn't good taxi service (In Las Vegas it's arguable whether the taxi service is "good" lol), and I'll use my $15 amex credit per month, but it's really a frustrating experience more often than not.

diburning Sep 1, 2020 11:51 pm

Here's a new one.

On Uber, if you're matched with a driver, who then drives for a bit and then cancels your ride, and if you cancel on the new driver they pair you with, they will charge you the cancellation fee as if you waited the entire time from when you requested the ride. They'll also charge the fee if all of this happens within the 2 minute grace period too. (on a related note, the 2 minute grace period is not published anymore, the generic cancellation screen just says "You MAY be chaged a fee.") I've had this happen to me again today which was the third time in total, and it's infuriating.

I think this is a bug, but there's no way to report this bug, because their customer service is trash. I attempted to report the bug and received a copy-paste of the cancellation policy instead.

This level of ineptitude/negligence should be illegal.