Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees.

Old Sep 7, 15, 12:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New England
Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Posts: 3,673
Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees.

I've held off on using Über for a while since they pretty much ignored me. I had the new rider promo (free ride), and the driver cancelled the ride. They counted that as a ride and refused to give me an actual free ride when I contacted them. I didn't begin using Über until Lyft let me down (no drivers in the area)
diburning is offline  
Old Sep 8, 15, 1:06 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LAX
Programs: WN A-List
Posts: 1,010
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
I've held off on using Über for a while since they pretty much ignored me. I had the new rider promo (free ride), and the driver cancelled the ride.
FYI, if the driver waits 5+ minutes and the passenger no-shows they can cancel the ride and you get charged $5. That may be how your free ride money got used up.
Dunbar is offline  
Old Sep 8, 15, 4:47 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New England
Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Posts: 3,673
The driver cancelled within a minute of accepting the ride.
diburning is offline  
Old Nov 8, 15, 8:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YVR/BLI
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 230
Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees.

So I am in Las Vegas and request an Uber pick up while at the SEMA show in Vegas. Traffic is crazy but the have a lot set up for drivers and customers to meet. App advises me that my ride is 1 min away. After 10 min and no show I look at the app and the driver cancelled. Message says to re-request. I do and the driver is there in 30 seconds. As I get in the car I get an email that I am being charged for the DRIVER cancelled trip.

I contact UBER support and they give me a credit on my account. After this why would I want a credit. I email them back and they credit my credit card which should have been done in the first place.

Since then I have asked why I was charged...numerous times and all they do is send me customer initiated cancellation policies.

I guess what it comes down to is that if the driver cancels for any reason after 5 min have elapsed from requesting the ride you get charged. I understand that if the customer doesn't show isn't ready etc it would be a valid fee.

This wasn't. I was where I was supposed to be and the driver didn't show. I guess really the driver owes me $5.00.

Has this happened to you? Check your Uber bills because this Driver Cancellation policy is crap.

I heard back from Uber.

They were under the impression from the driver I wasn't there. No call, no text nothing from the driver. I guess I wasn't there...watching every car that came into the paking lot and checking the licence plates.....Ya right.

Last edited by ken98230; Nov 8, 15 at 8:30 pm Reason: Response from Uber.
ken98230 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 15, 2:48 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 7,249
On Uber if you cancel a ride you can indicate whether the customer should be charged or not. When I was driving if I cancelled because I couldn't get there I'd always mark to not charge the customer.

With Lyft it used to never charge the customer for driver initiated cancels. A lot of passengers caught onto this and would call the driver and say that they needed to cancel the ride but "couldn't figure it out" . So Lyft changed to allow driver initiated cancels to charge the passenger and passengers flipped out.

If you aren't where you claim to be or something like that I'd indicate to charge the passenger. Too many passengers waste driver time because they request the ride without paying attention to the location. It's people like that who have messed it up for people like you.
gj83 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 15, 10:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YVR/BLI
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 230
gj83...thanks for the reply. I have finally developed a better understanding of how the system works along with cancellations.
ken98230 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 15, 4:28 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,554
I had something similar happen a few months ago. I was at the EWR Airtrain Station (P4 I think) where the hotel shuttles do pickups. I requested an Uber and the driver accepted and said he was on his way. He texted asking where I was, I told him. All of a sudden he changed from 10 minutes away to arriving to cancelled. From the map it looked like he was at one of the terminals and just didn't want to drive over. Pretty frustrating.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Nov 13, 15, 11:34 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,296
The other night a driver had a problem finding mrsmicah. She called him to say she was standing outside at the address she had given him, but for whatever reason he had trouble getting to the address (it's a slightly confusing area, but still...). After a few minutes he canceled the ride, charging her. Probably not coincidentally, when she went to request a new car, there was a Surge in effect.

An e-mail or two to customer service got the cancellation fee refunded. Not sure if she's been able to get the surge surcharge removed from the rebooked ride.
themicah is offline  
Old Nov 17, 15, 4:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by ken98230 View Post
So I am in Las Vegas and request an Uber pick up while at the SEMA show in Vegas. Traffic is crazy but the have a lot set up for drivers and customers to meet. App advises me that my ride is 1 min away. After 10 min and no show I look at the app and the driver cancelled. Message says to re-request. I do and the driver is there in 30 seconds. As I get in the car I get an email that I am being charged for the DRIVER cancelled trip.
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I had something similar happen a few months ago. I was at the EWR Airtrain Station (P4 I think) where the hotel shuttles do pickups. I requested an Uber and the driver accepted and said he was on his way. He texted asking where I was, I told him. All of a sudden he changed from 10 minutes away to arriving to cancelled. From the map it looked like he was at one of the terminals and just didn't want to drive over. Pretty frustrating.
Originally Posted by themicah View Post
The other night a driver had a problem finding mrsmicah. She called him to say she was standing outside at the address she had given him, but for whatever reason he had trouble getting to the address (it's a slightly confusing area, but still...). After a few minutes he canceled the ride, charging her. Probably not coincidentally, when she went to request a new car, there was a Surge in effect.

Looks like you folks aren't the only ones who have had an Uber driver pull the cancellation fee scam...

http://www.thedriversucks.com/your-s...ncellation-fee

This stuff pisses me off because there is such little recourse for what essentially amounts to theft.
Miami305 is offline  
Old Nov 21, 15, 1:24 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New England
Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Posts: 3,673
I never got my "first ride free" on Uber because of this. The driver cancelled, which took my free first ride, and Uber refused to give it back to me.
diburning is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 9:42 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 211
this wknd my driver went to the wrong address and cancelled the ride >:0. well see what uber support will do
patpatpatme is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 3:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,296
I got another one of these fees reversed the other day for a driver who no-showed and canceled me.

Remember that Uber support almost always requires two e-mails to get the resolution you actually want. The first contact they'll usually try to blow you off or give you something less than what you asked for (if you ask for a refund, they might give you a ride credit instead). The second contact they'll usually do what you want.
themicah is offline  
Old Dec 31, 15, 11:30 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,554
Happened to me yesterday. I was staying at a hotel by LHR and ordered a car to take me to LHR. The driver got close, within 2 minutes and set himself to "Driver Approaching". He then cancelled it after a few minutes. I complained to Uber who gave me a credit. I tried with three other drivers and they cancelled before getting close so I guess no one wanted the fare
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 7:28 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA
Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Happened to me yesterday. I was staying at a hotel by LHR and ordered a car to take me to LHR. The driver got close, within 2 minutes and set himself to "Driver Approaching". He then cancelled it after a few minutes. I complained to Uber who gave me a credit. I tried with three other drivers and they cancelled before getting close so I guess no one wanted the fare
Driver's do not have the option to set "Driver Approaching." That is GPS based and is automatically prompted in the Uber system.

The driver does have to manually indicate that they are at your pickup address.
Miami305 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 16, 8:33 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PERMANENTLY TERMINATED ACCOUNT
Posts: 13,905
These cases scream "Class Action" to me.
Dieuwer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread