FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Services, including Uber and Lyft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft-747/)
-   -   Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-services-including-uber-lyft/1723067-watch-out-driver-initiated-cancellation-fees.html)

diburning Sep 7, 2015 12:19 am

Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees.

I've held off on using Über for a while since they pretty much ignored me. I had the new rider promo (free ride), and the driver cancelled the ride. They counted that as a ride and refused to give me an actual free ride when I contacted them. I didn't begin using Über until Lyft let me down (no drivers in the area)

Dunbar Sep 8, 2015 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 25386958)
I've held off on using Über for a while since they pretty much ignored me. I had the new rider promo (free ride), and the driver cancelled the ride.

FYI, if the driver waits 5+ minutes and the passenger no-shows they can cancel the ride and you get charged $5. That may be how your free ride money got used up.

diburning Sep 8, 2015 4:47 pm

The driver cancelled within a minute of accepting the ride.

ken98230 Nov 8, 2015 8:13 pm

Watch out for driver initiated cancellation fees.

So I am in Las Vegas and request an Uber pick up while at the SEMA show in Vegas. Traffic is crazy but the have a lot set up for drivers and customers to meet. App advises me that my ride is 1 min away. After 10 min and no show I look at the app and the driver cancelled. Message says to re-request. I do and the driver is there in 30 seconds. As I get in the car I get an email that I am being charged for the DRIVER cancelled trip.

I contact UBER support and they give me a credit on my account. After this why would I want a credit. I email them back and they credit my credit card which should have been done in the first place.

Since then I have asked why I was charged...numerous times and all they do is send me customer initiated cancellation policies.

I guess what it comes down to is that if the driver cancels for any reason after 5 min have elapsed from requesting the ride you get charged. I understand that if the customer doesn't show isn't ready etc it would be a valid fee.

This wasn't. I was where I was supposed to be and the driver didn't show. I guess really the driver owes me $5.00.

Has this happened to you? Check your Uber bills because this Driver Cancellation policy is crap.

I heard back from Uber.

They were under the impression from the driver I wasn't there. No call, no text nothing from the driver. I guess I wasn't there...watching every car that came into the paking lot and checking the licence plates.....Ya right.

gj83 Nov 10, 2015 2:48 pm

On Uber if you cancel a ride you can indicate whether the customer should be charged or not. When I was driving if I cancelled because I couldn't get there I'd always mark to not charge the customer.

With Lyft it used to never charge the customer for driver initiated cancels. A lot of passengers caught onto this and would call the driver and say that they needed to cancel the ride but "couldn't figure it out" :rolleyes:. So Lyft changed to allow driver initiated cancels to charge the passenger and passengers flipped out.

If you aren't where you claim to be or something like that I'd indicate to charge the passenger. Too many passengers waste driver time because they request the ride without paying attention to the location. It's people like that who have messed it up for people like you.

ken98230 Nov 10, 2015 10:12 pm

gj83...thanks for the reply. I have finally developed a better understanding of how the system works along with cancellations.

CMK10 Nov 11, 2015 4:28 pm

I had something similar happen a few months ago. I was at the EWR Airtrain Station (P4 I think) where the hotel shuttles do pickups. I requested an Uber and the driver accepted and said he was on his way. He texted asking where I was, I told him. All of a sudden he changed from 10 minutes away to arriving to cancelled. From the map it looked like he was at one of the terminals and just didn't want to drive over. Pretty frustrating.

themicah Nov 13, 2015 11:34 am

The other night a driver had a problem finding mrsmicah. She called him to say she was standing outside at the address she had given him, but for whatever reason he had trouble getting to the address (it's a slightly confusing area, but still...). After a few minutes he canceled the ride, charging her. Probably not coincidentally, when she went to request a new car, there was a Surge in effect.

An e-mail or two to customer service got the cancellation fee refunded. Not sure if she's been able to get the surge surcharge removed from the rebooked ride.

Miami305 Nov 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ken98230 (Post 25683388)
So I am in Las Vegas and request an Uber pick up while at the SEMA show in Vegas. Traffic is crazy but the have a lot set up for drivers and customers to meet. App advises me that my ride is 1 min away. After 10 min and no show I look at the app and the driver cancelled. Message says to re-request. I do and the driver is there in 30 seconds. As I get in the car I get an email that I am being charged for the DRIVER cancelled trip.

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 25699490)
I had something similar happen a few months ago. I was at the EWR Airtrain Station (P4 I think) where the hotel shuttles do pickups. I requested an Uber and the driver accepted and said he was on his way. He texted asking where I was, I told him. All of a sudden he changed from 10 minutes away to arriving to cancelled. From the map it looked like he was at one of the terminals and just didn't want to drive over. Pretty frustrating.

Originally Posted by themicah (Post 25708416)
The other night a driver had a problem finding mrsmicah. She called him to say she was standing outside at the address she had given him, but for whatever reason he had trouble getting to the address (it's a slightly confusing area, but still...). After a few minutes he canceled the ride, charging her. Probably not coincidentally, when she went to request a new car, there was a Surge in effect.

Looks like you folks aren't the only ones who have had an Uber driver pull the cancellation fee scam... :td:

http://www.thedriversucks.com/your-s...ncellation-fee

This stuff pisses me off because there is such little recourse for what essentially amounts to theft.

diburning Nov 21, 2015 1:24 am

I never got my "first ride free" on Uber because of this. The driver cancelled, which took my free first ride, and Uber refused to give it back to me.

patpatpatme Dec 22, 2015 9:42 am

this wknd my driver went to the wrong address and cancelled the ride >:0. well see what uber support will do

themicah Dec 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I got another one of these fees reversed the other day for a driver who no-showed and canceled me.

Remember that Uber support almost always requires two e-mails to get the resolution you actually want. The first contact they'll usually try to blow you off or give you something less than what you asked for (if you ask for a refund, they might give you a ride credit instead). The second contact they'll usually do what you want.

CMK10 Dec 31, 2015 11:30 am

Happened to me yesterday. I was staying at a hotel by LHR and ordered a car to take me to LHR. The driver got close, within 2 minutes and set himself to "Driver Approaching". He then cancelled it after a few minutes. I complained to Uber who gave me a credit. I tried with three other drivers and they cancelled before getting close so I guess no one wanted the fare :rolleyes:

Miami305 Jan 2, 2016 7:28 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 25942042)
Happened to me yesterday. I was staying at a hotel by LHR and ordered a car to take me to LHR. The driver got close, within 2 minutes and set himself to "Driver Approaching". He then cancelled it after a few minutes. I complained to Uber who gave me a credit. I tried with three other drivers and they cancelled before getting close so I guess no one wanted the fare :rolleyes:

Driver's do not have the option to set "Driver Approaching." That is GPS based and is automatically prompted in the Uber system.

The driver does have to manually indicate that they are at your pickup address.

Dieuwer Jan 2, 2016 8:33 am

These cases scream "Class Action" to me.