Uber: DC vs LAS

Old Oct 24, 15, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Uber: DC vs LAS

I live in Vegas, and just spent six glorious (?) months in DC, enjoying the humidity over the summer (bit of sarcasm). I was working on a project in downtown DC, that involved over 100+ hrs/week, so the bus and metro schedules weren't very accommodating...thankfully, Uber was a plentiful and inexpensive alternative, and I know for a fact I couldn't have done the project with those hours had Uber not existed. Uber is extremely competitive in DC, they undercut Lyft by close to 1/3. I'm really grateful to Uber for filling a void, at a very reasonable cost.

I had not used Uber prior to leaving Vegas for this project, so when I returned, I found myself in a couple of situations where I naturally reached for my Smartphone. Uber IS cheaper than a taxi, but my gawd, how quickly I forgot how elevated the taxi rates are in Vegas. Although Uber is cheaper, it would never serve as a real alternative for me as it did in DC. Am I suppose to feel good that Uber is a cheaper option than a Las Vegas taxi?

Just a reminder how much Vegas is held hostage by the tourist industry, and a big fat finger pointed at the taxi cabs and the local government and airport that feeds off their income. What a travesty that the monorail was never extended to the airport, what a travesty that enterprising businesses like Uber, in a place like Vegas, are just one more peg servicing the tourists, and not providing any relief to those of us who live here who look for inexpensive transportation options.

DC has a lot to be grateful for, unfortunate that those who make Vegas their home, will never see anything similar. Being told that your ride costs less than a taxi, is little solace, when the price is so totally out of sync with other geographic areas that don't pay homage to the almighty tourist and the taxi related industry that services them.

What a wake up. I sorta miss DC already...
Old Oct 25, 15, 6:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Uber in certain cities is better than in other cities. Can't really do much about it.
Old Oct 25, 15, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pay $2-$5 for most of my Uber rides in Indonesia.
Old Oct 27, 15, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by randix View Post
DC has a lot to be grateful for, unfortunate that those who make Vegas their home, will never see anything similar. Being told that your ride costs less than a taxi, is little solace, when the price is so totally out of sync with other geographic areas that don't pay homage to the almighty tourist and the taxi related industry that services them.
But all the money that tourists spend is one reason why you don't pay state income tax. And, those tourists are also why you can fly to many destinations nonstop from LAS. I'd guess they also keep airfares down for you...but, that's an assumption that might be false.

In the end, you may have to pay more for local transportation. But, that doesn't mean you don't enjoy other benefits that are a result of a having all those tourists visiting your city.
Old Oct 30, 15, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Why is Uber not an option for you in Vegas? They are officially legal in Nevada as of a few weeks ago (except pickups and dropoffs at LAS airport are still verboten).

I agree that the dirt-cheap UberX fares are a total game changer for getting around, especially in cities that have the combination of unreliable/slow public transit and expensive parking. DC and LA come to mind. The biggest downside is that the cheap fares are causing many of the best drivers to leave Uber - it's almost impossible for them to make a living on a $1 a mile BEFORE Uber's cut, gas, vehicle maintenance, etc. Far more of the drivers I get now are brand new and often don't know their way around the city, have a car with squeaky brakes, etc., although that also describes most taxi drivers

Search this Thread