Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any other faithful Uber users?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Not true at all. Depending on the city, it's usually about a 10-20% markup over a taxi, but there is a $15 minimum. Sometimes it can be cheaper, e.g. the $65 flat rate to SFO is often cheaper than, or at least equal to, a taxi meter.

There is also "surge pricing" where during extremely busy times they will charge a heavy premium (but still pick you up quickly). Surge pricing is always disclosed before you confirm the pickup though. This is for special events and dates, not a typical daily occurrence.

Originally Posted by Stiga9
I've been wanting to use this service, but the reviews written (on iOS) has made me reluctant.

Are the prices really a 100-300% mark-up? On the reviews, many people said it costs $70-$200 for a cab ride when it should've only cost $20-$30...
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by greathustle
Not true at all. Depending on the city, it's usually about a 10-20% markup over a taxi, but there is a $15 minimum. Sometimes it can be cheaper, e.g. the $65 flat rate to SFO is often cheaper than, or at least equal to, a taxi meter.

There is also "surge pricing" where during extremely busy times they will charge a heavy premium (but still pick you up quickly). Surge pricing is always disclosed before you confirm the pickup though. This is for special events and dates, not a typical daily occurrence.
Thanks for the info. Upon reading more, the "surge" pricing is what the reviewers were complaining about. It was either a holiday or during a hurricane/storm that ending up costing these customer's $100-$200! Apparently some people didn't read their text when the "surge" pricing was informed.

In addition, I see they now have UberX's ($8 minimum) and UberTaxi's (standard city taxi meter rate + $1) - These are much cheaper than the UberBlack's and UberSUVs.

Cool, looking forward to trying it out. For a moment there I just figured everyone on this thread were wealthy & charging $100-$200 cab rides daily, lol.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It's been great for me in NYC primarily when I'm out at a friend's house in Brooklyn and it gets too late for me to want to train it home but will certainly never find a taxi and will end up waiting around for a gypsy cab.
Case in point was yesterday after the West Indies Parade just got on the app at 1am, 8 min later a car arrived, dropped me off in the East Village for $30. A taxi the same distance is about $19-$21 and a gypsy may be the same thing...plus I'd have to have cash on me for that.

I was going to use it in Berlin for an airport pickup at 6am to go to Tegel but I ended up using the Taxi.eu app which was a breeze to call one.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Never used it, but looks like it's pretty good.

I usually walk, take transit, rent a car, or if I'm at home I drive myself. I only taken a taxi once in the past 3 years…
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I never liked Uber in the past, because the rates for their black cars were consistently higher than regular taxis. It just seemed like Uber was targeted at a different income level.
However, I just tried their UberX service last week, and I now plan to use it when available.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:16 am

We used Uber consistently (2 to 4 times a day) during a recent trip to Philadelphia and we are hooked.

I found the prices to be fare and didn't mind paying a bit of a premium for the service and convenience. We both thought that for some trips, the price was the same as a cab.

For example, my phone was acting up and I couldn't get a signal. My husband asked the valet the approximate cost to for our trip. His estimate was 30+ minutes and $30. I got the phone to work and Uber got us there in 15 minutes for $30.

Further, the one driver gave us good times for location and timing for summoning a car after the Phillies game.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
I found the prices to be fare
Pun intended?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by jeebus
I never liked Uber in the past, because the rates for their black cars were consistently higher than regular taxis. It just seemed like Uber was targeted at a different income level.
However, I just tried their UberX service last week, and I now plan to use it when available.
You are right. Uber Black doesn't try to compete with taxis on price. However, UberX (where available) is priced about the same as taxis, and generally cheaper due to no tipping with Uber.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Stiga9
Pun intended?
Ah...yes. (darn you auto correct!)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by greathustle
Don't forget that the Uber fare includes gratuity, so the 10-20% markup over taxi fares may actually be cheaper if you factor that in.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by realjd
Don't forget that the Uber fare includes gratuity, so the 10-20% markup over taxi fares may actually be cheaper if you factor that in.
Your point is correct, but it is worth noting the distinction that there isn't a gratuity included, Uber just doesn't do gratuity. No tip is included, added or expected. What the driver makes depends on his arrangement with Uber (direct partner or sub-contractor from another partner, etc.).

Uber rates are also different in certain cities, both in terms of the fare and the minimum fare.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Uber Black/SUV competes with car services and is extremely competetive. In fact, the drivers are most often car service drivers with holes in their schedule.

Uber x / Taxi competes with taxis.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Any new uber codes floating around?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I've used Uber a bunch so when I saw an ad looking for drivers I signed up. I just do it for fun, but if y'all have any questions about the driver side I'd be happy to answer them.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooseman13
I've used Uber a bunch so when I saw an ad looking for drivers I signed up. I just do it for fun, but if y'all have any questions about the driver side I'd be happy to answer them.
How does the schedule work for you? are you on call 24/7? or do you enter times when you are willing to work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.