Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A restaurateur’s view of Idine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
A restaurateur’s view of Idine

The owner of a place where I used to frequent, and where I had our office Xmas lunch, emailed me wondering where I had been. I mentioned to her that I’d been away, but that I used to have a lot more passion for driving across town when the place was associated with Idine, and I asked why they dropped out. Her answer isn’t earth shattering, but here it is:

"I was hoping that I-Dine would generate more traffic than it did. The cost
to me was significant - each ticket was reduced by 30% of the total as
I-Dine fees. The cost to me just didn't justify the new business they
generated. I know I got some biz from them, but not enough for the big
deductions to my bank account each month."

I didn’t ask, but I wonder why it makes a difference if they do a hundred dollars of Idine a week, or ten thousand, as long as (full paying) people aren't turned away. And, while I don’t understand the restaurant business, given the fixed and variable costs that I imagine a restaurant faces, 30% for business that otherwise would have not have existed sounds pretty OK to me. The questions that I guess would have to be asked by a restaurant owner is, “How many of these Idine people would eat at the place regardless of the miles?” And, "How many, if any, Idiners discover the place, and then continue to eat there more than the one reimbursed time per month?"

I am forever thankful that I am not in the restaurant business (if my clients don't like the food they generally can't go elsewhere) so that I don't have to consider these difficult types of questions.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Jailer
The questions that I guess would have to be asked by a restaurant owner is, “How many of these Idine people would eat at the place regardless of the miles?” And, "How many, if any, Idiners discover the place, and then continue to eat there more than the one reimbursed time per month?"
You have good questions... My personal answer to both would that I would not do either.

When I enrolled in iDine, I enrolled specifically for the miles. I didn't enroll to find good restaurants. If I want to eat at a good restaurant, I'll pick up a copy of Zagats.

That said, I've had very few low-quality meals at iDine restaurants but I usually never end up re-visiting them because I only dine at iDine restaurants when traveling, which usually takes me to a different city each trip.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Me too. I don't eat at iDine restaurants beyond the earning limit (tho I do sometimes use multiple FF programs to work around the "1 per month" limit a bit), and at 99% of them would not likely eat there again (at least nothing near monthly) if they didn't have iDine.

So with me, the restaurant has a choice of either getting me at a discount or not getting me at all. If the latter is preferable, I guess their profit margins are lousy!
Old Aug 15, 2004, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Over the years....

when a place has quit IDine, we quit the place. The business I give them on the IDine promotion is business they wouldn't get without it. Plain and simple.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
i agree with the 2 previous posts

with one caveat

there is a lot of competition in northern Va

i have 4 thai restauants within 4 miles of my house

if they cut out I-dine
they'd better be offering some 2 for 1 cooupons

and i dont mean buy 1 meal get one at 50% off
Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:12 pm
Original Member

One restuarant I found originally via iDine now gets my business about 3 times a week, even though it dropped iDine. It is in an obscure place I never would have found without the iDine listing. Another is a Thai restuarant that is so good I will patroize it even after it drops iDine. Again, located in an obscure place. I never would have tried it without iDine.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jessej
i agree with the 2 previous posts

with one caveat

there is a lot of competition in northern Va

i have 4 thai restauants within 4 miles of my house

if they cut out I-dine
they'd better be offering some 2 for 1 cooupons

and i dont mean buy 1 meal get one at 50% off
Sawatdee, Star of Siam and the one near Clarendon too. Where is the fourth?

I go to Sawatdee a fair amount but I need to ask the owners of Bangkok Bistro in Georgetown if they will consider adding IDine. It might get me to start taking a bunch of clients there.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:12 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
I work in mclean and live in herndon

1) Thai Luong on elden near ffc parkway in herndon - idine restuarant
and large portions

2) - thai restaurant on the corner of elden street and herndon parway
no idine - but buy 1 get 1 50% off coupon in the monthly "Northern VA Living magazine"

3) Tup Tim Thai - up rt 7, RHS , stripmall with the food lion, just past dranesville road
idine
OR
buy 1 get 1 50% with the coupons printed on the back of the giant grocery store at the corner of rt and dranseville road

4) in the strip mall on sterling blvd, the one with the new safeway, accross from the mmiddle school
relatively new, prioe ro opening a menu with coupons was mailed to nearby residents
Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What's the one in the Courthouse Plaza? We used to go there all the time...

Back on topic: I use iDine for good mid-scale restaurants and ethnic food. Most of the restaurants in iDine have perfectly acceptable non-iDine competitors, so if the iDine place drops out I am probably going to give them less business. If they are really good, I'll continue going somewhat, but probably less now that my bill is 25% higher.

If I want fine dining, I forget about iDine and go with Zagat's. I've found that if a fine dining place participates in iDine or any other mass market coupon/discount program, it probably isn't that "fine". Yeah, there are a few exceptions, but the whole purpose of Zagat's is to critique the high end restaurants, and I've grown to trust them pretty well. If I stumble upon one of those exceptions (a great high-end iDine place) thanks to a Zagat's review, I consider it a lucky bonus.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:39 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Only recently enrolled in Idine, but had been going to some member restaurants before. If I like a place, I return, regardless of promos, points, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:49 pm

Restaurants in my area that are iDine have definitely gotten business from me that they otherwise wouldn't have.

I like the excuse to try new places. I tend to be one of those people that once I find what I like, I stick to it, which isn't always the best way to be... So, with the program, it gives me a chance to convince myself that it's for the 'miles'. I've definitely found some good places, and I've definitely found some bad places, but the bad ones can happen even without the miles as a consolation prize. All in all, I think that iDine has garnered business for area restaurants that they otherwise wouldn't have received.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HH Diam, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Discvrist, Pri Clb, WN, AA, DL, F9, Global Entry/TSA Pre
I would have to go with the majority of posters...I will eat at an IDine place only once a month, I would say >90% of the time. If I choose to dine again at the same restaurant, I would use another credit card and FF program.

I hadn't realized there was such a steep cost to be in the program, but of course knowing there is a cost to the restaurant, I encourage my diners to order anything they like, including the extra drink or two . In this respect I hope to cover the cost involved to the establishment and in the process get more points for me....

The one thing that bugs me lately is that restaurants are getting picky about what days to offer what points...ie if it is Tuesday, you get 5 pts/$, on Thurs, 10pts and Sat night = nothing. I wish that it would be uniform. This is my biggest beef with IDine, plus the fact that one CC = one FF program. They should find a way to have you choose the Airline (online??) for each meal...something along the lines of switching your earning preference in Hilton HHonors or Marriott Rewards...
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:11 am

Programs: DL, AA, HH, UA
I, also, agree with other posts. idine will get me through the door once, but will only return if food is good or I'm in need of a qualifier.

There are only 7 or 8 idine places in my area & the 3 better ones have limited rewards days. The days that best fit our schedule are "off" days.

Tonight: had "less than best" food, but service was good & live music was pleasant....wanted to make sure we have a few extra qualifiers for FFF4 promo. The things we do for miles ~ including ½ charged on my registered card & ½ charged on hubby's register card. Gotta make sure both get our 10K bonus miles.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation WHY do people only visit an iDine venue once a month???

I'm trying to imagine why some posters here are saying they will only visit an iDine restaurant once a month>>>

If you have an iDine profile, and you log on using it to search restaurants, you will notice that the criteria for miles changes - most restaurants will now show you can earn x miles per dollar spent on multiple dines, up to (in most cases, not all,) $600 per month.

Not to mention, some restaurants will not even appear unless you log in, and the number of miles you can earn per dollar spent may also vary if you have / do not have a profile or/and log in to check for restaurants.

(If you do not have a profile, you miss out on the 500 mile monthly bonus for three dines, of course. Most do seem aware of this, at least.)

I'm feeling some people aren't maximizing their miles, for lack of studying the program and its possibilities.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:08 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you do not have a profile, you miss out on the 500 mile monthly bonus for three dines, of course. Most do seem aware of this, at least.
Enlighten me. How does establishing a profile get you the 500 mile bonus for three dines?

I'm aware of the AA Elite bonus of 500 miles (and as EXP, I know you're aware of this), I believe NW had a 500 mile bonus at one time, and I know about Delta's bonus (but only for dines > $25)... but I was not aware that just establishing a profile gets you 500 miles for three dines, without any other requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.