Wiki Posts
Search

Gift Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Question Gift Certificates

I just got the idea from you guys of buying a $25 GC for a qualifying iDine visit - this will be very helpful with that Delta deal for 5 visits and the bonus. My bright idea is to buy 2 $25 GCs in two different months for 2 qualifying visits (since there are a limited number of restaurants that I like here that participate in the program).

Question is: Does it always work? Has anyone ever had a problem?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 5:12 pm
Original Member

Why $25? And why in two different qualifying periods? As I read the rules, any NWA iDine counts as a partner credit.

Oops. You did say Delta, didn't you.

Last edited by pgary; Jun 18, 2004 at 2:34 pm Reason: Oops.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not a bad idea, lawgirl - the rules don't say anywhere (that I could find) that you need to actually consume food/drink for a visit to "qualify".

To clarify -- these are once-a-month-restricted joints, correct? And $25 is the minimum to qualify for the Delta promo? So, you get two (of the five required) dining credits now, and do the eating later in the year.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:33 am

I have purchased gift certificates many times. YOu are still spending the money so they don't care. AS a matter of fact it is better for them because they are getting additional float and you know how those things go sometimes they never get used. I have not done it by itself it has always been purchased with a meal. With America West right now giving 20 miles per dollar by June 30 I need to get some certs for my employees
Old Jun 18, 2004, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks for the info you guys. Yes, I am doing the Delta - sorry, I didn't realize there was another deal out there since I'm focused on Delta Yes, there is a $25 minimum doe a visit to count and the restaurants in question are one-visit-per-month ones. Also, buying GCs might be a way to get credit for eating at a place on a Friday night when the place only gives credit for Mon-Thurs dining (i.e. a couple places would be good date places for a weekend, so I can run by and pick up a GC on Mon-Thurs, then go back and use it on Fri or Sat and still get my points and a "date night").

Thanks for the feedback on my giftcertificate plan for racking up my 5 $25 minimum qualifying visits at once a month restaurants - appreciate it! Off to find another restaurant or two to buy GCs for

Last edited by lawgirl28; Jun 18, 2004 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

It Worked!

I just received the email from Delta Skymiles iDine that I had a qualifying visit from the visit when I bought the GC. Thanks to this forum for the idea!

Last edited by lawgirl28; Jun 21, 2004 at 9:25 am
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:15 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by lawgirl28
.... Also, buying GCs might be a way to get credit for eating at a place on a Friday night when the place only gives credit for Mon-Thurs dining (i.e. a couple places would be good date places for a weekend, so I can run by and pick up a GC on Mon-Thurs, then go back and use it on Fri or Sat and still get my points and a "date night").....
Great ideas! GC for the self and others! Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:54 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Talking

I also use the GC mode at a local restaurant.
This restuarant prints buy 1 get one 1/2 meal coupons on the back of the local grocery store reciepts
but if you use your credit card and the coupon, there is no i-dine credit and no miles

so i buty the GC
then come back and use the GC in conjunction with the buy 1 get 1/2 price coupon

with tax and tip it works out to $33 and change
so i just buy $30 GC

and you know i feel bad about losing(?) 30 miles per transaction
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by jessej
but if you use your credit card and the coupon, there is no i-dine credit and no miles
Why do you say that? The restaurant has no way of knowing that you are using a credit card attached to Idine. You can get miles when you use a coupon, just not as many.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paradocs
Why do you say that? The restaurant has no way of knowing that you are using a credit card attached to Idine. You can get miles when you use a coupon, just not as many.

I agree. I don't think it keeps you from getting iDine miles to use a coupon. I almost always use one as it seems that most of the iDine places are also in the Entertainment book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.