Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Hours and 100 Miles Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Two Hours and 100 Miles Later

Mostly I've lost my passion for RN, the ROI is too small and easily swamped by one credit card mill, were I so inclined.

And so when in Flagstaff I was not even disappointed to see that no Idineries survived, despite that there had long been three stalwarts.

I recalled that a buddy suggested taking Lake Mary road past Mormon Lake thru Payson back to Phoenix. And, behold, Geraldo's Fireside Cafe in Payson is well rated at 4.5.

Beautiful scenery wouldn't be inducement enough to take an almost two hour detour, nor would 100 AA miles, but combined both provided critical mass to support a sketchy decision.

With surprisingly good and reasonably priced food as well as a beautiful drive without traffic, I concede that I did the right thing, even as it defied logic.

Now off to Phoenix and hoping that I don't hit an elk and have to dredge up an old thread: Horrible Idine Side Effects.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you detour just for the miles and the scenery, or also for the restaurant rating? (Would you have detoured if it were a restaurant with a 2.3 rating?)

That's one nice benefit of RN IMHO besides the miles: You know the ratings and reviews are coming from people who actually dined there. You can't count on that with TripAdvisor, you can't count on that with Yelp, who else can you count on that with?

Plus what other service has not only user reviews from actual diners but also menus and descriptions for almost every restaurant (though sometimes the menus are out of date)? I've watched people try to use other 'mass audience" services, and be baffled as to how to get listings with only restaurants that have menus, only restaurants that have believable reviews, etc.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you detour just for the miles and the scenery, or also for the restaurant rating? (Would you have detoured if it were a restaurant with a 2.3 rating?)

That's one nice benefit of RN IMHO besides the miles: You know the ratings and reviews are coming from people who actually dined there. You can't count on that with TripAdvisor, you can't count on that with Yelp, who else can you count on that with?

Plus what other service has not only user reviews from actual diners but also menus and descriptions for almost every restaurant (though sometimes the menus are out of date)? I've watched people try to use other 'mass audience" services, and be baffled as to how to get listings with only restaurants that have menus, only restaurants that have believable reviews, etc.
Although the stars had to align to even make this detour possible, I wouldn't have gone if the menu/cuisine looked bad or if the rating was crappy: maybe anything under 4 would have deterred me.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Jailer
And, behold, Geraldo's Fireside Cafe in Payson is well rated at 4.5.
Sadly, Gerardo Moceri has closed his Payson restaurant. His other Italian restaurant in West Sedona is still open. You will need a different detour next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.