Wiki Posts
Search

Enterprise- Demand two phone numbers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Enterprise- Demand two phone numbers

Rented at Enterprise. Airport location. Second or third time this year. Have National Executive Elite linked to account and saved a few bucks (literally a few bucks) by booking Enterprise.

At counter the agent did the Enterprise thing, lot of questions, etc., but then the odd thing was the demand for a second phone number. I said I only have one phone number and he said that isn't acceptable they must have a second phone number. I again said I have one phone number no land line. He said he can't rent to me unless I give him a second phone number and suggested the number of a spouse, sibling, parents, boss, workplace, anything. Basically at that point I got the vibe I could tell him literally any phone number and he'd just put it into the system.

Then the next odd question was where is the vehicle going to be parked overnight. Not a big deal and I had no issue stating where I was staying, but don't these vehicles have GPS anyway? Why are they asking this? Don't they know where the vehicle is at all times anyway?

Other weird thing was they asked me to confirm my date of birth (this was while he had my ID in front of him - which has my date of birth on it). Again it isn't a big deal but why...?

Is this a policy of Enterprise to demand two phone numbers now? What is the point?
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by storewanderer; Dec 2, 2023 at 2:06 am
Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:26 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

First day on the job?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:24 am

Was he a male and did he wear a white shirt and carry a clipboard? If so. I last saw him at an Enterprise location in the year 2000...
Old Dec 2, 2023, 3:30 pm

Sounds like fraud department would be a better fit for this agent.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by jizen
Sounds like fraud department would be a better fit for this agent.
I've found in recent years with the National linked to the Enterprise reservation, Enterprise transactions go quickly... they seem to cut the questions when they see my status and profile already all filled out, so this was strange.
Auto Enthusiast, jizen and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:37 pm

I think some Enterprises just make stuff up.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
I've only rented once where the agency asked where I would be staying, and that was in Portugal (not with Enterprise). I thought of telling them I would be travelling freely without making advance reservations, but instead gave them the hotel. They then asked the exact unit number (this was a complex with multiple buildings) which was suspicious. After a 10 day rental, overnight before the morning I was to return the car the front door had been badly keyed - - a long, deep scratch through to the metal running the length of the door.

Although there were 21 identified scratches and mars on the car when I picked it up, they made sure to charge me a fat fee for this 22nd scratch. It's then I remembered that years ago, when we had stayed at this same complex in Albufeira, that reception had told one of our group not to rent there - - because of precisely that.

My credit card company's insurance would cover it, but I wrote them encouraging not to pay these pirates, for the reasons described.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:47 am

Sounds like the fraud department should be called to find out why this person needs to know where the car is being parked overnight.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:11 pm

Enterprise besides often pushy up sell pitches from CSR (who often won't take no for an answer) is famous for some time now asking odd sort of questions at time of rental. Have been asked in past if vehicle was being driven out of town, will it be parked on street, and so forth...

Can only guess since Enterprise often deals with different sort of customer than say National they have larger issues with fraud and theft. Hence all sorts of strange questions which amount to car rental version of asking "did you pack this suitcase yourself?".
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Enterprise besides often pushy up sell pitches from CSR (who often won't take no for an answer) is famous for some time now asking odd sort of questions at time of rental. Have been asked in past if vehicle was being driven out of town, will it be parked on street, and so forth...

Can only guess since Enterprise often deals with different sort of customer than say National they have larger issues with fraud and theft. Hence all sorts of strange questions which amount to car rental version of asking "did you pack this suitcase yourself?".
That is part of it, and I think the other part is opportunities to upsell. I recently rented at a neighborhood Enterprise and was asked why I needed a minivan. I said I was hauling furniture so he pitched me on their insurance for the contents of the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.