Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a little help RE: Renting a car with "self driving" mode..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2023, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Doing a drive from FL to WY, trying to nail down manufactures that have this in their cars and it is GOOD enough to handle most of the highway driving.. ie. Honda Accords are great at this.. I assume others are too..but no one seems to rent those...

It's for a work thing, so I can rent any car up to 2500 bucks for the trip... it's one way and expected to take 4 days (stopping for 12 hours a day, I'm driving 6 hours, a co-worker is driving 6 hours per day..

Anyone have a any luck doing this?

So far I have a QX80 from Enterprise.. on the Infinity website it says all of these have "pro pilot assist" but then some places say that it's really not that great..

Thank you for any help or guidance!!
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:20 pm

My vote is rent from National. There's a 99% chance you'll find a Camry, Corolla, or RAV4 on the aisle and they're all equipped with adaptive cruise control with lane-keep assist.

The Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, and Hyundai/Kia/Genesis systems all work great for highway driving. BMW and Mercedes also work great, but National usually doesn't order them equipped with those packages.

Best rent from an airport location though, they have a larger inventory and if you don't see something you like you can just wait a while or ask the lot attendant.
m907, AutoSlash and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
My vote is rent from National. There's a 99% chance you'll find a Camry, Corolla, or RAV4 on the aisle and they're all equipped with adaptive cruise control with lane-keep assist.

The Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, and Hyundai/Kia/Genesis systems all work great for highway driving. BMW and Mercedes also work great, but National usually doesn't order them equipped with those packages.

Best rent from an airport location though, they have a larger inventory and if you don't see something you like you can just wait a while or ask the lot attendant.
Thanks for the advice. I've got an enterprise location that can basically get any car it wants..apparently..(not sure if the desk person was just talking a big game).. checking out national now. If the infinity system actually does keep the car centered in the lane, like a tesla, than that is good enough!
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

In digging deeper. I figure that any car on this list that is 2022 or 2023, should be go to go.. just need to research to make sure that the manf. puts the lane centering in all of their models. (ie. Honda Sensing is in ALL of them, although it blows in the ridgeline )..

https ://comma.ai/ vehicles
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:24 pm

Off the top of my head, the advanced Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Volvo systems more or less steer themselves as long as you keep some pressure on the wheel and the curves in the road are gentle.

The one brand I'd avoid is Mazda. Each time I've driven one it has extremely sensitive and annoying lane departure vibrations and HUD flashes which can't be disabled.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
OP...what do you consider to be "self-driving mode"? Some would think hands off...is that what you're looking for?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
The system in the Volkswagen Tiguan is pretty good, and I've rented one from National that has it.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
The system in the Volkswagen Tiguan is pretty good, and I've rented one from National that has it.
Forgot about this, VW has a decent system too. Just be careful to not go by the radar sensor on the front, because VW equips cars with it even if they don't have adaptive cruise control.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
Forgot about this, VW has a decent system too. Just be careful to not go by the radar sensor on the front, because VW equips cars with it even if they don't have adaptive cruise control.
True, though we bought my fiancée a 2022 Tiguan in the SE trim last year and it had it standard. Most I've seen in the aisles are SE or SEL trims.
Old May 17, 2023, 1:30 am
Suspended

If you're looking for a car that handles highway driving well, Honda Accords are a great choice. However, if they're not available for rental, consider options like Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata, or Mazda6. As for the QX80 with "pro pilot assist," it's best to research user reviews to get a better understanding of its performance and suitability for your trip. Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.