Wiki Posts
Search

Enterprise Diminished Value Charge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Angry Enterprise Diminished Value Charge

I rented from Enterprise and paid with my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. I was t-boned by another driver in North Carolina. I submitted my claim to Chase and they have paid for the damage submitted by Enterprise--except $566 for diminished value, which Chase doesn't pay. NC has an antiquated law, where if you are responsible for any part of the accident (even 1%) you cannot recover from the other party or his/her insurance, so high chance to not get anything from the other party's insurance (even though he ran into my driver side door making a left hard turn as I was driving in the opposite direction). Anyone have experience or luck in negotiating with Enterprise to reduce the diminished value? If so, what is the best strategy and how much did they negotiate with you? TIA.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you have your own auto policy, check whether it covers rental cars and what the terms are. However, there might be an issue if you didn't report the accident promptly to your insurance company.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have your own auto policy, check whether it covers rental cars and what the terms are. However, there might be an issue if you didn't report the accident promptly to your insurance company.
Thanks. My insurance excludes admin costs and diminished value. And with my deductible it would be a wash regardless.

Last edited by Wonderboynyc; Jul 6, 2022 at 7:12 pm Reason: wrong punctuation
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wonderboynyc
Thanks. My insurance excludes admin costs and diminished value. And with my deductible it would be a wash regardless.
Did Chase's insurer attempt to negotiate away the "diminished value" claim (as a service to you)?

Have you been in touch with the other driver's insurer to see whether they are accepting responsibility for the accident? (Chase's insurer might or might not be going after them already to recoup what was paid to Enterprise.)

Has Enterprise contacted you since being paid by Chase's insurer?

Have you thought about bringing a small-claims action against the other driver if Enterprise continues to pursue the diminished-value claim?
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:36 am

Check with autodiminishedvalue.com. Most diminished value claims are for thousands of dollars. With the comparative negligence law you mentioned, I am guessing that the amount you are being charged is just a portion of the full DV, most of it being charged to the responsible party.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Frankie Colletta
Check with autodiminishedvalue.com. Most diminished value claims are for thousands of dollars. With the comparative negligence law you mentioned, I am guessing that the amount you are being charged is just a portion of the full DV, most of it being charged to the responsible party.

There are two problems with this:

1. It's not a comparative negligence law, it's a contributory negligence law, whereby any negligence bars recovery from the other party.

2. Even if NC had a comparative negligence law, why would Enterprise bother dealing with the other driver? If their car was damaged while rented to the OP, Enterprise would go after the OP for 100% of its damages, and let the OP fight it out with the other driver for whatever the OP thinks is due him.

​​​​​​​Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Frankie Colletta likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

There are two problems with this:

1. It's not a comparative negligence law, it's a contributory negligence law, whereby any negligence bars recovery from the other party.

2. Even if NC had a comparative negligence law, why would Enterprise bother dealing with the other driver? If their car was damaged while rented to the OP, Enterprise would go after the OP for 100% of its damages, and let the OP fight it out with the other driver for whatever the OP thinks is due him.

​​​​​​​Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Baskett v. Banks
I stand corrected.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.