Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo, I miss "the good ole days"...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Alamo, I miss "the good ole days"...

Prior to Covid I use to be a frequent Alamo renter, regularly used discounts/coupons in conjunction with my Alamo rentals which really made it worthwhile.

However, these days Alamo never (ever) shows up in AutoSlash quotes with a competitive price. I took pricing samples this afternoon on the Alamo website for a variety of dates in a variety of US cities from which I often rent from, and the rates there are almost twice as much as I can get through Hertz.

Was thinking of pursuing some Alamo discount coupons, but given the continued elevated pricing @ Alamo, it simply wouldn't make any financial sense (for me)... crazy. If you told me a couple of years ago that I would be renting almost exclusively from Hertz and never from Alamo, I would have said that would be impossible!
Auto Enthusiast and ftl like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:22 pm

Enterprise/National/Alamo cut off AutoSlash a couple years ago so they only show the full retail rate. EAN is losing a lot of business because of it.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks...

Originally Posted by m907
Enterprise/National/Alamo cut off AutoSlash a couple years ago so they only show the full retail rate. EAN is losing a lot of business because of it.
...for that bit of information... I like to think (?) I'm on top of all developments related to the car rental "scene", but have to say I've never seen that bit of information anywhere on flyertalk or anywhere else...
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by randix
...for that bit of information... I like to think (?) I'm on top of all developments related to the car rental "scene", but have to say I've never seen that bit of information anywhere on flyertalk or anywhere else...
AutoSlash understandably doesn't want to publicize it, though they haven't discouraged anyone from discussing it.. I spoke with a person in National's headquarters who confirmed it, using corporate-speak which roughly translated to "their deals are too cheap." I politely made my dissatisfaction known.
Auto Enthusiast and randix like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:58 am

I remember AutoSlash and news articles discussing this topic several years ago. Clearly the loss of business isn't enough of a problem to change anyone's minds, especially when there's a car shortage that makes focusing on profit per car they do have much more important than business volume.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I remember the uproar several years back of airlines over Awardwallet tracking, sure don't recall anything re autoslash... oh well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.