Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can't believe the prices I'm seeing. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't believe the prices I'm seeing. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by deuter64
Minor correction. You can roll over unused (or may be even recently expired) fuel points a few times a year by calling customer support.
Interesting, and good to know! I was able to get them to rollover points a few months ago when I went to the Harris Teeter on the last day of the month and their pumps were down. I emailed and within 15 minutes, they rolled them over for me!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:14 pm

I had only a marginally profitable experience at Iowa's Kroger. 4x ponts work as described; but local store forced me into buying "$100 Visas with $5.95 activation fee". They said no other cards in-store qualified. So I paid $212 for 200 of VISA(!!??, ain't this stupid), and only then my 35gal marked down 80c/gal while pumping
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:57 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
I had only a marginally profitable experience at Iowa's Kroger. 4x ponts work as described; but local store forced me into buying "$100 Visas with $5.95 activation fee". They said no other cards in-store qualified. So I paid $212 for 200 of VISA(!!??, ain't this stupid), and only then my 35gal marked down 80c/gal while pumping
Trust their written things, not what a random employee states. On Kroger.com, did you clip the coupon on the left? If so, when I've done that (including 3x this week), you get 4x the points on any of the branded cards in the store, which don't have the activation fees. The coupon on the right is for the Visa/MC ones where you have to pay the activation fee.

SinglePapa2 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:38 pm

Thanks IAHtraveler, I did have correct copons clipped; but as a first-timer, I went with the manager. That particular Ohio (sorry Iowa above, all states East of CO. passed like fog in 24 hours) store manager obviously screwed me by outright insisting that only one card qualified. I had no time to put into this (while driving 8 people cross-country). I've come out saving barely $17, and now I'm holding these two $100 VISAS
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks IAHtraveler, I did have correct copons clipped; but as a first-timer, I went with the manager. That particular Ohio (sorry Iowa above, all states East of CO. passed like fog in 24 hours) store manager obviously screwed me by outright insisting that only one card qualified. I had no time to put into this (while driving 8 people cross-country). I've come out saving barely $17, and now I'm holding these two $100 VISAS
Just use the Visa to buy gas. Authorize it for $100 at the register.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Just use the Visa to buy gas. Authorize it for $100 at the register.
there is no discount derived from buying gas with these Visas
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
there is no discount derived from buying gas with these Visas
I thought the whole point was to buy the giftcard to get 4x fuel points. Then use fuel points for the gas savings? Then you can use the visa to pay for the fuel.
Use a high earning grocery credit card to offset the Visa fees.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:49 am

You should have bought a regular gift card, like a gas gift card.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Then you can use the visa to pay for the fuel.
Using Visa giftcard to pay for fuel provides no reward; similarly, using Visa giftcard anywhere provides no reward
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by m907
You should have bought a regular gift card, like a gas gift card.
I had no time to argue with Ohio store manager, telling me that purchasing any other card would result in no (at least no 4x) points. Why she was adamant, I can't say. But she led me to card aisle, and pointed to this Visa as the ONLY card that was eligible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.