Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Rental Car Discussion
Reload this Page >

Extending Alamo car rental before pick up or after?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold

I got a great rate on an Alamo rental in Hawaii back when cars were available and prices were reasonable. I need to extend the rental by one day. Modifying the reservation is not an option. Can’t start a new reservation because no cars are available. That said, when is the best time to extend a rental, when I pick up the car at the airport or after I drive off? I tried calling the toll free number and Costco but they are unable to change the reservation without the rate doubling. Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:52 pm

Your rental contract may (and probably should) come with an after rate, which is what you would be charged if you extend. You could try asking at the rental counter when you pick up, but the rental agents are most likely instructed to say no extensions allowed and you must bring the car back. My suggestion would be to contact the local branch by phone sometime during your rental and read your contract through to see what the after rate may be if it is listed. Most likely, that extra day will be a signficatntly higher rate. You should probably have a back up plan if the extension is just not allowed.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by RxCapt
That said, when is the best time to extend a rental, when I pick up the car at the airport or after I drive off?
After driving off, as Alamo can no longer stop you.

Keep in mind - the 1-day "extension" can murder the rate, as you are at the mercy of Alamo for that day of extension.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:57 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

If you are just returning one day late, don't worry about it. They will typically charge you for an extra day at the current rate. If it were us, we wouldn't even both calling to extend. We'd just return late.

While there are no guarantees, of course, this is what we've seen happen 99% of the time so we're pretty confident you'll be fine.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Just as a follow up to anyone who might find themselves in a similar situation, I ended up calling Alamo the morning the rental was due and not upon pick up as recommended. It was no problem at all to extend the rental one additional day for a grand total of $28.74 extra. Thought I’d have to pay at least $100 or more.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:11 am

That's great! Thanks for sharing the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.