Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“A Car Rental Apocalypse”

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
The latest trend I have been seeing is no availability for car types that are covered by our corporate rate - only "specialty" vehicles at sky high rates. Not sure if that is reality or by design to decrease the number of reduced bookings
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Where are you guys renting out of? I haven't noticed any impact on regular car availability/price in the DC area for my corporate rate (albeit, you need to be booking a couple of weeks out as is standard these days).
Old May 23, 2021, 5:30 pm

If production periodically stops due to shortages of chips and other raw materials, why do OEMs STILL advertise cheap retail lease deals on TV?
MASTERNC likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Where are you guys renting out of? I haven't noticed any impact on regular car availability/price in the DC area for my corporate rate (albeit, you need to be booking a couple of weeks out as is standard these days).
Highest proportion of people working from home + fences around the Capitol + increased crime + Congress not doing much in person are probably all depressing out-of-town traveler demand for both tourism and business.
sdsearch and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 9:24 am

For the expert here,
Any idea when the rental price will come back to normal? Or are the rental company going to keep the car availability low to keep the price up forever?
Old May 25, 2021, 10:04 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by lleung1980
For the expert here,
Any idea when the rental price will come back to normal? Or are the rental company going to keep the car availability low to keep the price up forever?
First off, the rental companies are not "keeping car availability low". There is a lack of vehicles in the market which is the main contributor to the problem. There are numerous reasons for this, but simply put:
  • Rental companies canceled orders for new vehicles when demand dropped up to 90% during COVID
  • Auto manufacturers halted production during COVID due to safety and supply chain issues and an expected drop in demand
  • Demand came back much quicker than anyone anticipated
  • Once the auto manufacturers restarted their production lines they were hampered by the global semiconductor shortage which meant that they couldn't get the computer chips needed to produce the cars
  • The rental companies tried to place new vehicle orders but with many auto production lines halted due to the chip shortage, and the previous cancellation of orders, they were stuck behind everyone else, including auto dealers to try to acquire new vehicle inventory
The problem is likely to get worse before it gets better. Don't expect things to get better until the fall, and there may even be lingering problems beyond that since the auto manufacturers have signaled to their dealers that it's going to be late August in many cases before they are able to deliver significant numbers of new vehicles to them.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:57 pm

Thank you for the update. But I'm wondering if the rental companies would cut back their fleet/order. Instead of ordering 100 cars, maybe they will now only order 50. They could charge double the daily rate to balance their expenses.
Old May 25, 2021, 2:01 pm

Question - do the rental car companies have any legal liability if they don't have cars for confirmed reservations?
Old May 25, 2021, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by lleung1980
Thank you for the update. But I'm wondering if the rental companies would cut back their fleet/order. Instead of ordering 100 cars, maybe they will now only order 50. They could charge double the daily rate to balance their expenses.
Many of them cut their orders back in mid-2020 when demand was much lower and they had too many cars on hand and were still trying to unload them. When demand came back, it was too late and inventory was very tight and prices much higher.

You can second-guess them all you want, but de-fleeting and canceling orders to conserve cash was a matter of survival last year. Two companies ended up in bankruptcy (Hertz and Advantage), another went through a major financial restructuring that significantly diluted existing shareholders (Europcar), and Avis-Budget had to hunker down to ride out the drop in demand and the complete collapse of business travel.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Question - do the rental car companies have any legal liability if they don't have cars for confirmed reservations?
Technically, a confirmed reservation is a legal contract to provide a rental at the aforementioned price. If you are forced to rent elsewhere at a higher rate because the rental company runs out of cars, you can claim compensation from them. If they refuse , you could take them to small claims court. It doesn't happen often, but it's theoretically possible.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Technically, a confirmed reservation is a legal contract to provide a rental at the aforementioned price. If you are forced to rent elsewhere at a higher rate because the rental company runs out of cars, you can claim compensation from them. If they refuse , you could take them to small claims court. It doesn't happen often, but it's theoretically possible.
Thanks, that's good to know. Is there a standard process for reservations booked through you guys or for reservations booked directly? Do we go through you guys if booked through you or do we contact the rental car companies directly?
Old May 25, 2021, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Thanks, that's good to know. Is there a standard process for reservations booked through you guys or for reservations booked directly? Do we go through you guys if booked through you or do we contact the rental car companies directly?
If the car rental company isn't able to provide you with a vehicle, then you'd need to work through them for any sort of compensation/reimbursement.
Old May 26, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
As crazy as it sounds, I just booked my weekly car rental in Hawaii for $250 after tax, exactly a year from today, no discount code needed, IMHO this is the best strategy now (even booking speculatively), along with hotel points, book them now before major devaluation comes.
Auto Enthusiast, vg247 and Mr. BoH like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I mean, the only option the rental car companies would have at this stage to get some "surge" availability to get through 2021 would be to start buying used cars...and in general, there's been a bump in prices there, too.

I know brand standards are a thing, but I suspect there are a lot of folks who would be willing to rent a car that's 5-6 years old and higher in mileage to save a couple hundred bucks for a week even if it's a bit short on the newer gizmos.

In the rental companies' defense, this is far from the only area where a supply/demand misalignment has happened. There are some issues on the hotel front, and even in housing in general.
Old May 27, 2021, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I mean, the only option the rental car companies would have at this stage to get some "surge" availability to get through 2021 would be to start buying used cars...and in general, there's been a bump in prices there, too.

I know brand standards are a thing, but I suspect there are a lot of folks who would be willing to rent a car that's 5-6 years old and higher in mileage to save a couple hundred bucks for a week even if it's a bit short on the newer gizmos.

In the rental companies' defense, this is far from the only area where a supply/demand misalignment has happened. There are some issues on the hotel front, and even in housing in general.
According to this Bloomberg report, the rental companies have already been buying used cars.

Last edited by AutoSlash; May 27, 2021 at 7:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.