Wiki Posts
Search

“A Car Rental Apocalypse”

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:39 am
Original Poster

My home base is LAS

Originally Posted by Rd3
I was thinking the same, however, a friend that was in Vegas last weekend complained about a lack of rideshare drivers-much longer waits and higher fares because...a lot of drivers don't need the money right now (stimulus)
I have found in Vegas that yes, the waits are SIGNIFICANTLY longer (not unusual at either LYFT or UBER, you'll get a message that "no drivers are available"), no question about that, especially in the early morning hours, eg 4am to 6am; the prices are higher but not substantially so; they remain much cheaper than (ugh) taxi's.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 4:26 pm

Similar question to one that was asked during the 2008 recession, but perhaps by now a different answer. What happens when cars are available to reserve, but retail rates are very high, and someone books with a flat rate corporate code? Is this person likely to be de-prioritized if the location turns out to be running short at pick up, and/or have to wait longer for a cheaper car while the prized inventory is given out to the customers with the highest rates?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Similar question to one that was asked during the 2008 recession, but perhaps by now a different answer. What happens when cars are available to reserve, but retail rates are very high, and someone books with a flat rate corporate code? Is this person likely to be de-prioritized if the location turns out to be running short at pick up, and/or have to wait longer for a cheaper car while the prized inventory is given out to the customers with the highest rates?
At National EA and Hertz UC locations, it makes no difference whatsoever. I doubt it would at counter service locations either.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:47 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
At least I've learned that AutoSlash doesn't have a problem posting the rental habits of their customers on FlyerTalk. Guess I missed that in your (no?) Privacy Policy? 🙊
Curious how posting the # of days for a rental and cheapest option is considered "posting the rental habits"?
dgreen12, Tanic, ftl and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've noticed it in recent weeks. I've traveled to some smaller markets (TUL, PNS, CLE) for weekend trips in the last month and on each trip found myself paying $65-75 a day for a car. As recently as last year weekend trips to smaller markets meant $40 rentals. Also at both PNS and TUL there were people walking to each counter asking for vehicles only to be told by each company they were sold out.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Just read (but decided not to post the article), re $600/day cars in Hawaii, local govt "looking into" overcharging, lol.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

ah heck...

Originally Posted by randix
Just read (but decided not to post the article), re $600/day cars in Hawaii, local govt "looking into" overcharging, lol.
was $722/day... https://www.autorentalnews.com/10140...Rental+News%29
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Looks like this is true, I couldn't get my Enterprise rental swapped out for a minor issue. The Enterprise rep told me that they were 20% below what his San Jose, CA area location normally had and even admitted that he would be hard pressed to find a replacement for issues which affected the driveability of the rental. He pretty much told me that I would have to keep it.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:41 pm
Original Member

I am getting calls from friends and family headed to Tampa Bay and having trouble finding transportation. It's getting really bad - PIE and St Pete neighborhood locations are completely out of cars for the foreseeable future (Hertz is no longer at the airport), TPA is running $100+ a day for compacts, and Uber/Lyft are nowhere to be seen. I have yet to see a single car available over many rideshare searches this week.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last Thursday I went to make a reservation for this Tuesday to Friday here locally in Durham, NC

- Enterprise Durham Locations (2): Both sold out
- Hertz Local Edition Durham: Sold out
- Enterprise RDU: Sold out
- Hertz RDU: Sold out

Eventually I got a car for about $90 a day at National RDU. When I showed up to pick it up yesterday the entire Emerald and Executive Aisles were empty. I had to wait 5 minutes to get a car. The agent on duty gave me the usual COVID platitudes. I can tell you I never had trouble getting an Enterprise car locally before.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Few weeks ago after first doing the "Autoslash thingy", I went to the Alamo website and of course found crazy prices for a 4 day rental in "lovely" Des Moines, Iowa, prices equivalent to AutoSlash. I did notice, however, they had a Ford F150 that was (relatively) way, way cheaper than their passenger cars (which of course is what I wanted). But the price difference was sooooo much cheaper, and after a $50 coupon I had, I went for it, for a total of $217.00, a true bargain compared to my other choices. Just checked the Alamo site this evening, and I see all choices for a 4 day rental are now around $500, even the F150 is now $534.00 for 4 days (see below)!!! C R A Z Y...

Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Looks like the moral of the story is going to be book your rental a couple of months out, at least until we get to the back end of the year and demand/supply regularize.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:51 am
Original Poster

"Wait, Where Did All the Rental Cars Go? "

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Looks like the moral of the story is going to be book your rental a couple of months out, at least until we get to the back end of the year and demand/supply regularize.
"Mr. Abrams, president of Abrams Consulting Group, thinks it will be the second half of next year before major auto-rental firms have supply back in balance with demand. 'We're going to see shortages and high prices for a while when you've got more customers than cars,' he says. He also thinks travelers need to get used to paying more for car rentals, even when the imbalance eases."

Wall Street Journal article, April 14, 2021
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:43 am

I doubt price-sensitive customers, whether leisure or small businesses, will get used to paying more. It's more likely they will switch to alternatives, rent less often, and rent for shorter periods of time.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:36 am

I will be in Honolulu and Maui in 2 weeks. Saw the news about supply drying up and demand spiking. I was looking at $1,200 for 5 days in Honolulu and $1,000 for 3 days in Maui. Thankfully my company's corporate rate allowed me to snag $220 for the days in Honolulu and $176 for the days in Maui.

Still worried about getting there and no cars being available so will keep reservations with two rental car companies for now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.